1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My son just came out to me

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by Proud2Bhismom, Sep 10, 2013.

1. jimL

Brian is one luck kid to have all the confidence he has at such a young age. Obviously you have been a major contributing factor. I hope it all goes well during his visit with his father. Continue to support him, continue to protect him......but not too much! There are many of life's experiences that our children will have to learn on there own. It's a scary world out there but hopefully we all make it though in flying colors. And, in Brian's case, rainbow colors. :icon_bigg

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's really good to hear he is doing well in middle school; that's a tough time for many kids as they're dealing with all new hormones and often changes in friendships. He is very fortunate to have his parents and his friends as a support group. You are wonderful.

Even though he's disappointed at not finding someone else, his mere presence as an out boy is really beneficial for other kids. I just saw you're from Oklahoma. I grew up in OKC, and the first out gay person I knew was a boy in 6th/7th grade. While there was general homophobia against him (this was in 2000/2001), deep down I admired his courage. So, tell Brian to keep his chin up because he is an important role model for other kids.

As for finding other gay friends, try to get him involved in some school group like music or art. I never came out in school, but I did have multiple friends who were gay, including some who were semi-closeted. You might check if a gay-straight alliance (GSA) club is present or consider setting one up (see link below). I just looked, and I was really proud to see my old high school has one.
    Home | Gay-Straight Alliance Network

3. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

If only every mother was like you. Can you believe that some parents would throw their kids out of the house for being gay? Although I hardly think those people deserve to call themselves parents.

4. IcelandLover

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That´s right. They are NOT parents... They are people creating children to mold them into preconceived little models of themselves... Not a hint of individuality. I wish there were more parents like Proud2Bhismom... I wish my MOM were like this.

5. Hatsune Miku

Yeah, having homophobic parents really does suck. You're very lucky if you don't have them imo.