1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My son just came out to me

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by Proud2Bhismom, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Rainbow Music

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so proud of you. I am so glad to know that there are parents like that in this world. There needs to be more of you. I was raised a Christian and still am, and that right there is the true meaning of being a Christian.

2. blueberrymuffin

Also, there could be certain obstacles, but it's really not such a hard road these days. If he's told several people and they're ok with it, there's really not much to worry about. Even if there's a bully, it sounds like someone will stand up for him.

3. BlueEyedPride

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It actually brought tears to my eyes, hearing how accepting and supportive you are. If only all parents could be as understanding and loving as you! The world would be a much more pleasant place for people like us. Now about this kid's father, I strongly believe that you should let your son decide when he should tell his father, or if he wants to do it himself. Being outed is a pretty awful experience (I would know), even if it's by a family member to another family member. It can be heartbreaking. You should definitely get your son's permission before telling anyone.

4. Proud2Bhismom

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hi everyone. Again thank you so much for all of your encouraging and sweet replies. I am so happy that everyone feels I am being supportive of my son. A lot of people have mentioned his father and the situation with that...I am not and never would betray my son's confidence and trust in me, not in something like this...after all if he can't trust me with something this BIG how can he ever trust me again if I were to out him to his father right? I will let me son do it in his own time same as with everyone else. this is his life his ship to steer, I am only along for the ride and to support him in any way that I can, my husband and I have told him we will do it however he wants to do it. If he wants to tell his father with him and I present we will do that...if he wants to speak to his father alone and then let us know what happened we will do that too...what ever makes him comfortable is how we will handle this. I was just concerned about him being hurt by his father, but i know that in this I can't protect him from everything. He is going to lose friends and even family as much as it pains me to say that. All I can do is hold his hand and pick up the pieces and let him know that no matter what he still has a mom and dad who love him for exactly who he is and that will never ever change.

5. LILuke

My had is off to you for the amazing amount of love and support you've showed your son. If more parents could be like you then the world would be a much better place. :slight_smile:

6. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    YESSSSS!!!!!! Great job, mom. I wish I had a mom like you. Your son will be so much better off emotionally now that he knows he can come to you, and that he doesn't have to keep a secret. :eusa_clap

7. hitgirl

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I totally agree with this. And would add that you could talk to your son about how he will deal with his father's potential reactions, and maybe discuss the different ways he could come out, eg. in person, or on the phone, or by mail. Not sure if that's making too big a deal out of it, I'm just thinking that it may help to prepare him if you're that sure of your ex's bad reaction. Anyway, you know your son best, I'm just making suggestions. Like everyone else in this post I was really touched by how supportive you are being and welled up reading the thread :tears:

8. Emberblaze

Woah, woah, you're 12 year old son??? You sure you didn't mean 21?!

Heh, sorry, I'm appalled at how mature your son sounds, AND his friends at that matter... Good job, miss, you're raising this kid right!

9. HelloGround42

Out Status:
    All but family
    You're an amazing and wonderful person. I'm 24 years old and still haven't come out to my family. Not because I don't want to, but because when I've tried in the past it's been shrugged off or ignored as a "phase." You're a truly amazing mother and your son has so much love (clearly) in his life that I'm sure the road won't be so rough :icon_bigg.

10. PyroSpark

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You're good parents. :slight_smile:

11. GArchi1992

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are amazing. If only more people in this world were like you!

12. AlexTheBlogger

I'm so happy to see such a good mother supporting her son!!!
    Congratulations for being so kind and accepting your son. He might be scared now and is so good to have supporting parents, you can't even imagine!
    But the bad part is that he will suffer. Not everyone is loving and accepting like you and your husband. Unfortunately most people still don't understand that love is love and being gay is completely natural. But he will have you during this long journey and, one day, he will find his soulmate and have his mother at his side to present her to the person he loves... That's freedom. That's it!
    And if his father (or biological father in this case, since it seems your husband see your son as his son too) treats him bad because of who he is, just let him be a sad homophobic that will lose the chance to be close to the person he created.

Congratulations again! Hope everything goes well to you!

13. Proud2Bhismom

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Wow! I just want to hug all of you! For all of you who say you wish you had a mom like me...well I would be proud to have all of you as my kids! I wish you had the experience of having that support and I am sorry if you didn't get it. Its a hard enough world out there as it is, but to have to hide in your own home behind a door is so very difficult. The heart doesn't discriminate...it loves who it loves, that is just how I see it. :slight_smile:

14. Data

Data Guest

Oh my Lord! This thread is wonderful! You have such a good heart ma'am. All you have to do is poke around here for a bit and see how many people have internal issues due to lost family when they came out or a change in the relationship between family members. You have completely taken that off the table, and for that you really have earned my highest respect. As for the biological father, it may go badly, your son may get hurt. It is inevitable in life (for EVERYONE) that we'll come to know someone and then have that relationship destroyed. My two aunts got into a huge fight with me about a facebook status. I've known them for my whole life, and I basically told them to fuck off and not bother talking to me till it's time to say their Eulogy. That's just how stuff works unfortunately.

You seem like a wonderful lady, and I'm sure your son is lucky to have you as his mom!

15. ScatteredEarth

Congratulations! Best of luck to your son and yourself in your future endeavors. I know it's gonna be a hard road ahead, but I'm sure he'll come out of this strong, he seems like a very strong willed person.

16. J a m e s

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    You are such good parents! Your son is so lucky to have your support! I'm coming out to my mom very soon and hope her response is like yours. It's really awesome that he was able to do this at 12! His life is going to be better in so many ways not having to hide this as a young adult.

17. Proud2Bhismom

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Well, my son finally came out to his biological father tonight. He responded just as I thought he would...BADLY! My son took it like a champ and for the first time ever stood up to a man he has been afraid of his entire 12 years of life. He told him if he could not accept him as he was he no longer wanted him in his life. It seems what my ex husband kept focusing on was my son's age....not sure what that had to do with it since my son is very sure, confident, and positive in his feelings and knows without a doubt that he is 100% gay. My son was amazing tonight...he showed such bravery, courage, and maturity as he tried to calmly explain to his father who he was, why he felt the way he did, how he knew for sure he was gay, and how all he wanted was his love, support, and acceptance. I sat here with him, just in case he needed strength, encouragement, or just a hand to hold, but never once did he falter. After my ex husband hung up on my son, he just looked over at me, sighed and said he felt sorry for his father being so closed minded and ignorant. Once again this young man amazed and shocked me with his extraordinary wisdom, courage, bravery, strength, and confidence. I could tell my son felt better, like he had faced a major fear and had made it through in one piece. Never once did he cry or tear up, in fact he was almost over joyed...He said he never felt better, that he had wanted to tell his father off for a long time, he had been so sick of him trying to "toughen" him up and make him less of a "sissy" for so long that it felt wonderful to finally be honest and tell him the truth about himself. This week I have watched my son go from quiet and reserved to finally being honest about himself and who he is which has made him blossom into a confident and happy young man again. Its actually really cute when he gets to talking to me about boys and how when he thinks of himself with a boyfriend he thinks its a "beautiful" thing...it makes my heart melt. I am excited to go on this journey with him and watch him grow and explore himself. He said as long as he had me and his dad (my current husband) that is all he needed, that he didn't his biological father since he never really been around anyways, that it wasn't any major loss. I am so grateful I have gotten to share this experience with him and that I get to continue to watch him grow, explore, learn, and begin to enjoy who he is. Honesty is a beautiful thing, and it has changed him so much now that he no longer has to hide who he is.

I am so proud of him, I couldn't be prouder!!! I am going to cherish every minute and I know I am going to remember every sweet moment for the rest of my life! Love does not discriminate, the heart loves who it loves! We love him and are sooooooo excited for him!! I just can't wait until he brings home his first boyfriend and I get to hear about the first hand holding, the first kiss!!! I really admire him, at 12 years old he has found a very important part of himself and he has been brave enough to share that with so many of us, and not let the negative people get to him!

18. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's an amazing story... and I'll say it again, you've raised an amazing kid, and you're amazing parents. :slight_smile:

I hope you keep posting. You have a lot you can share with other adolescents here, worried about acceptance from their parents... as well as your own experiences. And your son is going to be a powerhouse as he grows up! :slight_smile:

19. dfiant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can feel your pride so strongly that I am proud of him as well....pretty proud of you for the job you have done as a mother as well. Your son, you and your story have made my whole body smile :slight_smile:

20. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've moved the discussion of forming a support group to a new thread here.