1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most offensive thing your family has ever said about LGBT people?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PositivelyMe, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    "Do you really want to become a thing..." when trying to persuade me to not transition. :frowning2:

#61 Eveline, May 7, 2016
    Last edited: May 7, 2016
  2. Glowing Eyes

Wow... your parents sound awful. I hope you won't have to stay with them for much longer.

What was their reaction to their "savior" (Ted Cruz) suspending his campaign?

#62 Glowing Eyes, May 7, 2016
    Last edited: May 7, 2016
  3. Seer of Time

Out Status:
    A few people
    For me...I think that would be when a cousin of mine called a trans person "tranny" and seemed to think that was the correct word for it. I realize that that doesn't really sound bad, but ignorance can sometimes be harder to fight than bigotry because the person thinks they're being accepting. And I couldn't really say anything because I'm not out and I would have had multiple people asking me why I care.

4. SirPandacorn

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mom asked me how I could love a transgender. My grandma posted an offensive post claiming to be trans financial as a joke about being a rich person trapped in a poor persond body; basically using someones sexuality as a base of your joke. My mom often refers to lgbt as lgbtlmnopqrs suggesting that there are a bunch of made up sexualities and genders. She once tried to make herelf seem cool for accepting me when I came out as gay. But said I was trying to be like my friends when I came out again as pansexual. This isnt about my family but my gender queer friend agreed with someone else that people are just making up genders. Even though everyone thinks their gender is invalid. Hell, i dont care if I dont understand your gender or sexuality. If that what you identify as then thats what you are. If you want to be called she or him or they then thats what ill call you. Its not up to me to play god and decide for others what they are.

5. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My grandma was talking about a gay men couple who were on a trip she went on. She was laughing about one of the guys, saying he was "girly enough to go around with a handbag!" And she kept repeating this and laughing. She also uses the word 'normal people' when comparing queer and straight people. Hummmm

Also when I had to remind my mum that my cousin was trans and that she had to use they/them pronouns, the first thing she said was "do you think he's gay?!" It wasn't just what she said, it was also the obnoxious amused WAY she said it. Arrrgggghhh she's done this twice afterward as well when I've talked about other people. Not exactly transphobic, but the level of arrogance was substantially hurtful. And despite her seeming to be relatively accepting of trans men, I pretty quickly realised she really doesn't take trans women seriously at all. She says 'men who want to be women' 'trannies' 'lady boys' and a load of other words she seems to think is funny.

#65 jaska, May 8, 2016
    Last edited: May 8, 2016
  6. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Heh, dead silent. Not a word but the look on their faces.. Priceless.
    Had to hold back, or I would have been laughing all day.

Hoping to get out of here asap, just takes a while to save up that much.

7. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I cant even think about a time my family has brought up anything to do with gay people, except one time my dad and I were watching an old live show of Bob Dylan from the 60s or 70s and my dad pointed out the gay couple in the background, nothing negative just kind of odd to point them out.

I feel really bad for those of you who have parents or other family that actively put down LGBT people.

8. JasmineTea

I once heard my uncle say "I have no problem with lesbians... as long as I can watch!" as a joke and I wanted to turn around and sock him in the jaw.

9. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Me "I was thinking about cutting my hair short but I thought maybe I would look too boyish. I'm not sure"
    My mum "I hope you're not planning to become one of those mannish women who go round looking for other women" and stuff about how she didn't want that and didn't approve and more offensive ramble.
    Me: I'm not PLANNING anything. Why you hovering over me, GO AWAY.

Offensive as fuck. I actually felt like throwing up after she said that. I disguised that with a sort of moody teenager act until she left my room though.

10. Spotofpaint

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh have I got a good one for you guys!!! My wife and I (girlfriend at the time) had flown home to NY for Thanksgiving. During dinner the subject of babies came up and people asked what we had considered. I was saying how we wanted to adopt, but how expensive it was and my uncle pipes up with,

"You could still do it the old fashioned way!" And when my wife and I looked at him in confusion like...how? He explained with "One of you just has to go sleep with a good male friend!"

Like...wow. So...break my marriage vows and cheat on my wife? And like...with a MAN which is SO against my nature? Dude...that's a GREAT IDEA! GENIUS!

11. Bubbletea

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    "Gay people aren't real people." - dad.

12. Shadstack

Shadstack Guest

Pffftt...we all know they only exist in the fairytales.

13. Wolfwing

Well the only homophobic thing I've heard from a family member was my dad said he doesn't like seeing gay couples act like couples in public.

14. denouement

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Lots from my dad; disgust for gay people, and now that the media has picked up more on trans stuff, lots of 'it' comments and the t word... but it's fairly typical I suppose. It hasn't bothered me much lately since I know not everyone thinks like he does.

My mother, who seemed neutral to begin with, has started with disapproving sniffs and glancing at me if something trans comes up. :dry: Hopefully it stays at that.

15. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just "Ew, I don't want to see that!" every time a gay or lesbian couple is on TV.

16. Plattyrex

My dad said he doesn't hae gay people, but the sassy ones need to die. Wtf.

17. Blue Cat

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Probably either, "trans men are a joke and a parody", or, "when you get undressed, your partner will look at you and say, 'what the fuck is that?'".

18. Bubbletea

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    That's harsh. My dad once caught me and then proceeded to beat the gayness out of me for years and years and this remark still hurt's more.

19. dregj

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    ha,classic
    this cheered me up

20. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whenever someone mentions transgender people, my mom says, "Ew," over and over. It's really upsetting to me. :frowning2: