1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most offensive thing your family has ever said about LGBT people?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PositivelyMe, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Quiet Raven

I have a cousin who is bisexual. When she was dating a girl my Dad said stuff like, "I guess girls these days have too much trouble getting boyfriends that they have to resort to their own sex." And later after she broke up with that girl and started dating a guy, Dad said to me, "I am glad she isn't gay anymore".

At no point did Dad have ever have hard feelings against her, but he very rude and ignorant when it comes to stuff like this...

2. L0ser

Mainly they talk about how gay people. And really, it's not what they say but how they say it. The looks they make when a same sex couple kiss or when couples even hold hands. They're condecending and have very thinly veiled disgust.

They don't understand why I get so mad, and I can't shout "Is this how'll you act if I get a boyfriend?"

The worst bit is they always seem to say something awful when I'm feeling happy with my sexuality or maybe considering coming out. It sucks.

3. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

"Bisexuals are confused, they'll pick one gender one day"

"Gay sex is nasty" (and straight sex isn't?!)

And last but certainly not least:

"Genderqueer people are a cult"

^ HAHAHAHAHA what the fuck

4. Acm

Acm Guest

My grandparents love making fun of transgender kids, they think it's a trend, and that they're all pervs that want to go in the opposite sex's bathroom/changing room.

5. EDMJunkie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My sister, whilst talking to me about a transgender friend of mine a few days ago:

"You know, she's not a real girl. She has a penis." And then her boyfriend chimed in with agreement.

I do think that they're, at the very least, uninformed and ignorant. At the most, transphobic to a degree. They accept me, but my family has had a hard time wrapping their heads around the idea of being transgendered. But they are making progress. :slight_smile:

6. C P

C P

Oh how little time passes by between such situations...

My aunt passed through just a minute ago and asked who this one lady was on the porch next door and then she said "Oh, I know who that is. That's the one who her husband had left her for another man a ways back; he looked like a fag anyways." :angry:

7. Hexagon

It was said that gay people were fine so long as they married and were monogamous (objectionable in itself), but that bisexuals were ungodly, because they were incapable of being faithful to one lover. They have since been educated. I won't tolerate those kinds of views in my household.

8. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd find it very difficult to put up with homophobic family members; I'm impressed you all can do it.

The worst thing I've gotten is my grandmother not fully believing that I'm gay and that I'll "meet a nice girl" some day, so that's pretty tame. I'm thankful for the family I have, that's for sure.

9. One Man Army

'Gay men caught having sex in public should be castrated'

'Gay people don't form proper relationships'

(In reference to a gay TV presenter) 'He just needs a nice wife, that's what he really wants deep down.'

Yeah. And you wonder why i'm not out to my parents yet~

10. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've been pretty lucky not to hear anything outrageous from my family, although that's mostly because they don't really talk about it rather than any statements of support.

I'd say the worst I've heard was my great uncle telling me how disappointed my grandfather would be if I was gay back when I was 14. It didn't hit me that hard at the time, but I wish I could remember the context better. Another uncle jokingly asked me if I was gay in that same summer, but I don't think there was anything to it.

Last summer my dad and said grandfather (mom's side) were talking out on the deck at my parents' house and my dad said something like "to me, marriage is between a man and a woman" and my grandfather said "absolutely" but it wasn't really in a negative tone. They were just talking about politics (my dad is very conservative while my grandfather is liberal) and I think my dad was more or less expressing his wish that the Republican party would become a little less crazy and was actually kind of conceding that this issue just wasn't that important to him. Not sure though; I made sure to leave pretty quickly after that just in case I heard something that made me change the way I viewed either of them forever.

A few months ago I was at my grandparents' house for dinner and my uncle was joking around with them about a gay couple they met at a party or something. There were a few things that made me roll my eyes, but they said they were very nice people so that was good.

Other than that, I think the only real conversation I've heard about homosexuality was this past summer when yet another uncle stayed at my parents' house for a week. My mom loves to watch golf for some bizarre reason and he was asking how she is at spotting lesbians. They stayed on this topic for a few minutes and I was uncomfortably silent, though I don't think anybody noticed. It eventually moved towards a story one of them heard about an Olympian's parents refusing to go to Sochi to support their daughter because she's gay. I was extremely relieved to hear my mom say "that's so stupid."

So yeah, it's not all that negative, but a pretty small sample size to choose from. My family just doesn't talk about this kind of stuff very often.

11. suckmysass

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I completly understand, my parents are always like cant they keep it in the bedroom. The best thing to do is just tell them. They are going to have to deal with it, love who you want forget what the want. Tell them its not just a phase so that they will take you seriously. if you need support Im here and so is everyone else on this beautiful website.

12. C P

C P

.-.

13. puppiesarecute

A person from the side of my family that are bigots and I avoid talking to said this. A transgender girl was crying (i don't know her too well so i didn't ask why I just gave her a tissue) and apparently my cousin could tell she was trans ( people can rarely tell and I only know cause her "friend" outed her to me so it was surprising) ad later that day we were talking about they weirdest things we've seen in nyc and she said
    "When that boy was crying and his mascara was running" And then she started laughing at her.

14. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My mom said that if a woman says she's lesbian she's stupid .
    And there is no such things as lesbians because everyone well by everyone she just means women is bisexual and lesbians will eventually find the right guy either by him having a great personality or giving her a good fuck .:dry:

15. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    Let's see, there's were a few bits and pieces here and there from my father's side some years ago...

My stepmother said to her friend that bisexuals 'can't be trusted.'

My stepsister called bio males (either CDs or trans, I don't think she even knows the difference) who wore skirts or other female clothing 'perverts.'

My father said that: 'gay couples shouldn't be allowed to have children,' frequently teased my stepbrother with gay jokes because it wound him up, referred to lesbians as 'fucking rugmunchers.' Oh and also apparently any woman who wishes to be referred to as Ms rather than Miss or Mrs is a lesbian according to him, but that has more to do with his misogyny.

The most harmful thing I think however, was not so much things said but the attitudes he encouraged in my younger half-brothers.

This is a conversation I witnessed when one of my brothers was just 4 years old, he was messing around playing with my stepbrother and at one point he got over excited and called him some name or other but said 'fuck' in the sentence.
    My father, chiding him for swearing: "___!(brother's name) Don't say that. Call him a batty man."
    Brother: "Batty man!"
    Both my father and stepmother laughed and 'awwed' like it was the cutest thing ever!

Now obviously my brothers were too young at this point to understand the word they were frequently encouraged to use was in fact homophobic, but it doesn't exactly set a child up well for the future if adults encourage them to be ignorant simply for their own amusement.

16. wallpaperwords

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sooooo many choices! Let me think......

My Dad says: "Being gay is the most disgusting thing a man can do", "They suck each others dicks and their teeth fall out", and "Lesbians are hot".

My Mother says: "It's against God's plan".

My Brother says: "Everybody hates gays".

My Step Dad says: "Allowing gay men to adopt children is a whole new form of debauchery".

My Grandmother says: "They're gay; that's why bad things always happen to them".

17. Emily1

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I have a few but I think the worst comment is the one that came from my cousin who is gay himself, "bisexuality doesn't exist"

Also, my mom's immediate response to me coming out was "you're not into those butch looking girls are you?"…my parents claim to be fully supportive but so far they have just proven to be incredibly ignorant

18. lostboy94

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My father;
    I completely support you (referring to me being agender) but if your thinking of becoming a guy then theirs a problem.
    After me telling my folks that im asexual. Dad: You are going to hell. Me: Do you know what it is? Dad: Your a lesbian. Me: No it means I am not sexually attracted to guys or girls. Dad: Ok but lesbians are still going to hell. I just walked away at that point. GRRR

19. Big B

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, my parents aren't too quiet about the way they think about people of different sexual orientations. Normally it's pretty generic stuff, like saying it's unnatural, or comparing homosexual relations to having sex with animals etc.

But the thing that really "hurt" me recently, was when my father told me he thinks that "someone who likes men is not a real man himself". It kinda hit me hard.

20. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

My family is tame. The worst they've done is misgender trans people, but It's not even on purpose; they're just ignorant on the subject. I feel lucky compared to the other posters here.