1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most offensive thing your family has ever said about LGBT people?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PositivelyMe, Dec 12, 2014.

1. silverdeer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Lol my grandma always says "I'm sure you will find a special girl someday"

and "It's a lie the liberals want you to believe!"

2. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mom to my dad, yesterday: "T (my cousin) and L are a couple now, but what I don't get is, L's voice is really deep, she MUST be taking something to deepen her voice. Ok, so they're both women, and they love each other, but why does L want to be a man? Surely then T can just as well date a man" :eusa_doh: It's so ignorant, offensive and closed-minded that I actually felt sad and angry at the same time. I tried to explain it to them but they wanted none of that.

Then they started bashing Pride parades :tantrum: My dad said, "I don't understand why they (LGBT community) have to have their own parade. I mean, they're fighting to be equal to everyone else, so why do they then isolate themselves by having a parade? It just doesn't make sense to me" I didn't even bother to say anything, because they will always be closed-minded homophobes who seem to get a kick out of bashing the LGBT community. And let's not forget that they again pulled the over-used phrase of "It says clearly in the Bible that a man should not lay with a man, and a woman should not lay with a woman". FFS, I consider myself a Christian, and I also happen to be a part of the LGBT community, and it's been a MASSIVE internal struggle to get to acceptance. But my parents are so set in their ways, so bloody ignorant, that I doubt THEY will ever accept it. Well, I'm STILL going to Pride on the 1st of October, and I'm going to have a ton of fun and buy LGBT flags and shirts and whatever else they have, and putting it on display in my room!!! :badgrin: I just wish they would be more accepting, understanding and more sensitive about all things LGBT :frowning2:

3. lonewolf79

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My mom openly referred to her cousin's son as a "moffie" in front if me ... "Moffie" is a really bad Afrikaans word in South Africa for a gay person. She said I am not like him because I have more "man" in me ... um ... still hurt though...

4. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hallo!!! Lekker om nog 'n local hier te sien! :grin:

To the English-speaking peeps, "moffie" is more or less the same as "faggot". That is how offensive that term is :tantrum:

5. lonewolf79

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi daar, lol...

Local is lekker... lol.. nice to meet you Ruby Dragon.

Yeah... that word is one that should be banned!!!!!!!!!!

6. XMikaX

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The worst thing a family member ever said was that gay people just adopt children to rape them.

And when I told my parents I was pan they seem really accepting but they still go on like: But still one day you will meet a nice guy and make us at least two grandchildren. I don´t even want kids and I especially don´t want to carry one:icon_sad:

7. trisb

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That homosexuality is unnatural and goes against the natural laws governing man and woman since time immemorial. To be fair, my mum said it matter-of-factly and did not mean it as an insult.

"Ewwww transsexual!", said my bro. I forgive him. He is always rude and blunt in his speech.

8. Vesta

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At the time I was around 13, maybe 14 and we lived next door to a lesbian. Sometimes my mum would see our neighbour kissing her girlfriend and say that they were 'tongue tickling' and refer to her as 'the dyke' so that the family knew who she was referring to in conversation. There were many times where she'd openly express her disgust and was one of the biggest contributors to to my being in denial for around 3-4 years out of fear my own mother would think I'm disgusting and disown me.

My uncle would often refer to gay men as 'a** bandits' though hasn't seem to have done so for a few years now. Every time my mum sees a man hobbling strangely along the road she seems to have this personal stereotypical assumption that they 'take it up the backside' as she puts it.

I roll my eyes in shame.

9. Darth Cyrina

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My mom said that gay people shouldn't adopt kids or do surrogates so that, and I quote "this awful, confused movement can die out and not expose young children to Satans lies"

#109 Darth Cyrina, Aug 9, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  10. Anime Max

This probably looks like nothing compared to some of the other replies:

"Girls who think they're boys and still like boys are just confused. They probably want to experience that gay anime stuff for themselves. Girls who transition to boys are lesbian, and boys who transition to girls are gay."

Imagine what coming out as a transboy and gay for other boys was like.

11. SHIELDAgentAlex

We were listening to Pentatonix, and my mother says to me, "You know, Mitch is…quite the queen. There's a video of him on [some social media site], wearing a dress. He's just…embraced it."

And then, when we were driving in the city and she saw two men holding hands, "They're just…not ashamed of it at all. Just out in the open. I can't understand why you would choose that."

12. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My dad saying that these days, "If you're homosexual you must be identified. They were showing some singer named Lance and it said 'So and so is Lamce's husband.' Nobody needs to see that!"

13. dregj

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    "why do they have to shove it in your face?"
    is the perennial favourite I've often heard.
    when they just seen two gays holding hands
    ignoring the 100 straight couples doing the same thing
    you see every day?

14. AllAlison

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My mum once said that lesbians (so me, her own daughrer) just "needed a good cock up their cunt" to fix them, "jesus would solve it", and even "if i met a dyke i'd make [my dads name, rape] them and fix them and remind them theyre making babies for jesus"

And its any wonder ive not come out.....

15. Darsch Hielle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Why does it need to be LGBTQ+? What else is there? Lesbian, gays, bisexuals, and transgenders. There isn't anything else. It was fine just as LGBT. But it just keeps getting worse and worse, stupider too."

The reason that hurts is because *I* am one of the Q+ people. Pansexual.

Also, my grandmother openly talks about her disgust of gay people, but I tune her out most of the time.

16. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One that I can think of happened years ago when Drag Race was on, and my cousin's now ex called them faggots. So yeah, that was a thing.

17. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people

Holy fuck... that makes mine make look like saints, and that's really quite hard to do. Mindsets like these need therapy, and fast.

18. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My mom used to say (probably still thinks) that gay people are mentally ill. But what really bothered me was that every time I'd go out alone she would pray that God keep me safe from murderers, terrorists, criminals, rapists and homosexuals.

I wonder how I not ended up having internalized homophobia all over the place, although I have to admit she's succeeded in making the word gay and homosexual repulsive for me. FUCK YOU, mom. Can't wait to go to college.

19. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My grandma calling my cousin who wants they pronouns 'stupid and attention seeking'. but she's always just been a dick about stuff like that

However, I was at my step grans house years ago and her cousin or something was there and he was going on and on about how he was 'sick of all these homosexuals' and that he'd 'had enough of them'. That was back before I'd come out as a guy, and he said something about my brother and I, calling us 'sons'. My dad corrected him and he just stared at me and everyone else around went silent. It was kinda scary but I'm glad I probably won't ever meet him again...

#119 jaska, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  20. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My dad has once said that Elton Johns kid should be taken into care because he is in a gay relationship even though. He also has said gays can't get married.