1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homosexuality in School Curriculum

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by beckyg, Feb 8, 2008.

?

Have you ever been taught about homosexuality at school?

1. Yes

24.6%
  2. No

75.4%
  1. divadarya

Let's see....Los Angeles, California, USA, early 60's.......?
    NO!! It was talked about in hushed tones....my parents were understanding about it, if not openly tolerant...I do remember my dad explaining it, but it was sort of in that 50's context of an "unnatural act"...
    You can imagine how that made ME feel...I felt the same way that "perverts" "queers" and "deviants" felt...I really hated myself back then; I had no one to mirror me...
    I say teach it and f>>k the Religious Right and the haters; they're flaming out(no pun intended) right now anyway, since they hate both McCain and Huckabee and the Republican voters obviously could give a rat's ass what they think.

2. Marcorocco

Homosexuality has been taught at our college, and we're a catholic school.
    Its in stated to inform our growing youth that homosexuality is perfectly normal and that we should be treated just like any other straight person. We even used to have general discussions about homosexuality in our religion classes. It seems like a good way to bring the topic forward to the teens.

3. sngl

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, there was no mention of homosexuality in my school....at least not with educative purposes. A teacher once mentioned it, he said something like 'I'm sure we don't have people like that at our school'. :rolleyes:

4. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All I've learned about homosexuality is what I learned for myself and from Madeleine, who's bi. Other than that, the only word I hear on it is ingorant schoolgirls throwing the L word around like a bad thing. Oh, and maybe about 5 seconds in PSE class, but is that even acknowledgable?

5. acorn7

They don't teach us anything about it, but it came up a few times in discussions I guess. It's not a taboo or anything.

6. Nodnarb

I'm trying to think back to health class in middle school(the only version of 'sex ed' in our school district) and I don't really recall anything being mentioned. But that was years ago, so I don't really remember...

7. Lefty

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    In my health class in 10th grade(last year) we had one day in our sexuality unit that was all about orientations, myths, facts, terms, all that stuff. First we talked about who a person is attracted to, and how you can't really control that but you do control what you do about it. That led into coming out and feelings involved and what percent were out, all those facts and figures. Then we went into myths vs. facts.

At the end when we were summing up the hour she asked us if we had any out students in the school, yeah. Do we have any out teachers in the school? We said no, even though we thought she might be gay and that's when she came out to us. She talked about why, how it felt, and most importantly how she's still her. Everyone absolutely loves this teacher and still loves her. I think having her for a teacher is a really good eye opener for some people.

Also whenever any kind of dating situation came up instead of using girlfriend of boyfriend we would use partner or significant other.

8. wickedboi

yea, but the teacher blatenly said "Its Adame and Eve, not Adam and Steve" I swear if I hear that one more time I'm gonna kill whoever says it.

9. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    That is awesome! None of the parents complained?

10. Rizpaz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I live in Montgomery County, and I just finished Health Ed... no mention of homosexuality. It was stated in the curriculum that we would be learning about it, but the teacher "didn't have time" to talk about it. Funny how the last 3-4 days of Health Ed were spent watching movies.:bang: :bang: :bang:

God, I hate my school...

11. Wired106

I was actually looking forward to learning about homosexuality in one of my classes this year. Im a sophomore and we were suppose to learn about the topic in my theology class, but because it was only a semester class, we weren't able to learn about it. Our teacher went sort of slow and I actually really wanted to learn about that stuff and what everyone else in the class thinks, but we didn't get that far and ended up not being able to study it.

12. ok455

In 9th grade we talked about it in class. I remember the whole class looking at me when she taught it. I miss her i remember she said that Were discussing homosexuality and theres nothing wrong with being homosexual.

All the gym teachers teach diffrent stuff so she was the only teacher to teach about homosexually.

13. Unknown5

Unknown5 Guest

Most times in a positive way, but a couple times not

14. It pains me to think of all the girls and boys walking around thinking that because they're gay/lesbian/etc they don't need to worry about protection.
    HIV, Herpes, Chlamydia, They can affect anyone. When will the schools realize the huge gap in their curriculum, swallow their embarrassment and teach the damn kids?

15. LadyDaae

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The only sex education we get is abstinence-only teaching which comes from a single sermon in ninth grade and the only thing we're taught about sexual orientation is that it's a choice and a sin to be anything but straight. I'm leaving my private school soon, though, so I'll have to wait and see if that changes.

16. Harve

I remember having an entire lesson dedicated to it when I was 13/14. It made me pretty uncomfortable because I was closeted at the time!

17. Ragazza

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Despite the fact that I'm going to a Christian school, I have been taught about homosexuality at school. Every year we have a 'sexuality day' at school. We learn about the most important things : 'safe sex, do not push your boyfriend or girlfriend, do not do things you don't want...'. And every year we talk about a special subject, last year it was homosexuality. But I live in Europe so maybe that changes things a bit, and our prime minister is gay so it's accepted here.

18. Wow, that's great. America is a little behind.

19. Adarya

I've never heard anything about homosexuality or any other kind of sexuality besides heterosexuality in school. Many people could use the knowledge though considering how normal it is for "faggot" and "gay" to be thrown around in conversation. I can see how the teachers are awkward around the subject, too; I did one of my huge history projects on Oscar Wilde last year and his importance to history, and when I was choosing the topic the librarian was hesitant to send out a request for books about him, only because "he is a controversial and mature topic" that she thought I couldn't do. I had to get an acceptance from my teacher just to be able to do the project.

---------- Post added 11th Mar 2013 at 03:20 PM ----------

We did learn about such things in school and in health class, but none of it was directed at any specific sexuality; it was just information in general. I think it sometimes hard for some people to see that considering most sexual information taught in school is directed a heterosexuals, but that doesn't make it any less relevant.

#59 Adarya, Mar 11, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  20. fuzzywuzzy

I voted for yes, since the teacher did take her time to pause the documentary during biology class to explain it. What we talked about was homosexuality in twins. She told us about a few theories which might explain it. That actually surprised me since most of the people here are hostile towards homosexuality.