1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homosexuality in School Curriculum

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by beckyg, Feb 8, 2008.

?

Have you ever been taught about homosexuality at school?

1. Yes

24.6%
  2. No

75.4%
  1. Level N Human

Well my 8th grade teacher made it clear that STDs could be spread from one gender to another or within the genders, so even if you can't get each other pregnant, there's still reason to use protection.

Also, there was a whole unit about homosexuality in one of my classes, but that was a human sexuality class - You guys might remember my questionnaire; I got an A on that paper anyways. Thank you guys. ^^

2. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well this is Uruguay, so... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NEVER. There was a little sex ed, but it was always straight-oriented.

3. Alex89

I went to a Christian (Anglican) school, and in Sex-Ed we were taught about homosexuality - that it wasn't the choice of the person who they were attracted to, etc.

The Sex-Ed teacher was great, her best friend was lesbian and she was very clear and accurate in what she said, which hopefully helped some of the more homophobic people I remember being in my class.

4. Ilayis

Ilayis Guest

I don't remember my school ever mentioning homosexuality.
    Maybe in Health class,but I can't remember.

5. Witch of the We

California's version of Munchkinland and the West
    Well we didn't talk about it in health but my friends and I have spoken about it a couple of times.

#25 Witch of the We, Feb 8, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  6. bvtsjm116

bvtsjm116 Guest

I was taught a little, if any. More should be taught.

7. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Yeah, the results are as I suspected. There would be alot less teen suicide within the gay community if they were taught that sexual orientation is a natural variance in human sexuality. It is another battle to be won.

8. CelebrityHead

I don't think there was anything taught about homosexuality in our curriculum. The main emphasis was definitely on contraception.

Last year, however, a LOT of chicks in our year were getting pregnant, so the school got some speaker in to 'refresh' our knowledge of sex ed. He spoke about homosexuality, and it was really good, in my opinion he said everything 'right' (like about how people shouldn't be labelled, etc.) :slight_smile:.

But still, that was 2007, when I was in my final year of high school. It would've been a lot more helpful earlier on, really.

9. XxTheNumbOnexX

well.in health class in 10th grade(last year).....the teacher said that all bisexual ppl keep it secret and gay ppl will automatically tell u theyre gay...i was like "Oh..ya...reallly..so..then...why are alot of us having trouble coming out?"
    and "i dont think ALL bisexual ppl keep it secret either"....i basically hated that part of that class...it was so...UGH!...but ya..besides that..no..it was never mentioned..(i live in southern alabama...christian dominated town...nothing against christians..i mostly am one..i just dont beleive in the bible...because ppl usually undertand it wrong and cause innocent ppl pain..no offense to anybody)but ya...so it might as well just be a christian school....

10. Geist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I can't really say for sure but from my memory i can't remember any of my teachers even mentioning gay people and if they did it definitly wasn't part of the Curriculum. I got most of my information from my peers which was very skewed and in many cases anti-gay.

11. Lane

hmm...going back some number of years but from what I remember there was some brief overview of homesexuality, like maybe half an hour in one session of health class.

12. waitingsucks

Well I didn't really learn anything about it, nothing saying it was okay just mainly that it existed. I had a really nice teacher for Re last year (At our school Personal Development "Sex Ed" is taught by the Re teachers :frowning2:) She said it's not a choice b/c she knows people who "acted gay" from a young age. She said it was okay but still it is a bit un-educated and I am sad that we didn't learn that it was "Okay" and "Normal" that would of really helped me.

13. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There was a mention of it existing, but there was nothing taught on it at all.

14. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    It sounds like some of your teachers tried but really need an education to be able to fully teach about this in an informed manner.

15. Temujin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ummm...what are "erotic techniques" in relation to educating others about homosexuality?

16. Ty

Ty Guest

I wish they did at my school :frowning2:

Maybe if i one day go into politics, i'd try and make it happen :slight_smile: but hopefully common sense will prevail before that and we will have sexuallity discussed in sex ed classes.

17. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I am not talking about teaching kids "erotic techniques". I am talking about teaching them that if they are gay, it is a normal variant on human sexuality and that they are ok. Straight kids need the understanding and education also. They need to learn what it feels like to be gay and suffer from the cruelty of harrassment and discrimination. I think there would be a whole lot less harrassment in our schools.

18. Temujin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's exactly what i'm getting at. Why do these conservative groups argue teaching tolerance equates to "erotic techniques"?

19. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    OK, I get it. Yes, and they also say that if we teach about homosexuality in schools, that it will turn kids gay. That is ignorance.

20. Psychedelic Bookmarks

i have, in RE. basically, "buddhists usually don't mind gay people but traditional ones sometimes do, and learn these bible quotes about it for the exam". nothing meaningful.