1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Get] Working out at home. [Fit]

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Beebo, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Beebo

Have you tried swimming? I will give you more when I get back to work, which starts like 20 minutes from now.

2. Trumpetplyer23

Yeah...hadn't thought of that. My pool is just needs a ladder and I'll be fine.

Thanks.

3. Beebo

I just got off work.

I used to be a competitive swimmer, so I can give you a couple hard drills.

- Head Up Front Crawl. This is front crawl, while keeping your head up. Swim one length normally, then the next one head up. Repeat :grin:.
    - Hard Flutter Kick. Flutter kick is the regular kick (the one that you should be doing during front crawl.) Do one length easy, one length as hard as you can. Repeat.
    - Do as many lengths as you can underwater without breathing. This will increase your lung capacity/strength, and in turn increase your cardio.

Those are just a few. I am heading out again.

4. Defender

Defender Guest

Isn't nutrition an important part of doing all of this? There isn't anything really mentioned except having a banana...

:grin:

5. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is. Without protein intake it is actually worse for one's health.

The body can synthesize nearly everything from glucose but without a source of nitrogen (particularly amino groups) synthesis of proteins is impossible, and without some trace elements (I'm thinking of sulfur right now) some proteins can't be synthesized either. However, it's actually much more useful for the body to be provided with proteins/aminoacids instead of just a random nitrogen or -NH2 source.

6. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Except that most people get more than enough protein in their diets and a surfeit of it doesn't help because the body doesn't store it. We get more than eough because everything has some protein in it, not just meats and legumes and fish. Only professional athletes have to worry about their protein intake.

7. Defender

Defender Guest

I don't know if I get enough, we are short on food so I don't know if it would be dangerous for me to do the usual workout that I do.

8. Beebo

I was actually going to write a little nutrition thing on sunday afternoon. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. Nothing special, just some tips and such.

Anyways... I am sooooooooooooo sore from those pushups...

9. Alexander

lalalala ABSGUIDE and NUTRITION :wink:

Getting abs

There are three criteria that you need to look at to get better abs: exercise, diet, and supplements.

Exercise
    Crunches
    This is the basic abdominal exercise. First lie on a rug or exercise mat with your knees up at an approximately 45 degree angle. Put your hands behind your head with your thumbs behind your ears. It should look like this:

Now curl your back up so your shoulder blades are off the ground. Hold this for a second or two and come down slowly.

Don’t:
    use your back muscles. If you feel them tensing, relax and start over. You will only hurt yourself if you use your back for this exercise.
    use your neck to lift. This will strain the muscles in your neck.
    push your head up with your hands. Your hands are just there to guide your head up so you don’t have to use your neck muscles.

Do:
    keep your back straight
    keep your feet firmly against the floor
    keep your knees 1-2 inches apart

If you want to make the crunch more difficult, you can move your feet apart while keeping your knees locked 1-2 inches apart.

Reverse Pull Ups
    This is like a pull up except it works the lower abs instead of the upper abs. First, lay on the floor in the basic pull up position. Put your arms straight down your sides with your palms against the floor. Point your toes, and pull your knees up near your chest. Hold it for a second and release back to the tips of your toes. If you want to make it harder, move your feet apart while holding your knees tightly together.

Do:
    keep your toes locked. If you descend much farther than the tips of your toes, you start working your hip muscles instead of the abs.

Side Crunches
    This works the oblique abs on the sides of your torso. Get into your basic crunch position with your hands behind your head. Perform a normal crunch, except lift one knee almost to meet your opposite elbow. Repeat with the opposite knee and elbow.

Don’t:
    strain yourself. It’s much easier to do so than on other ab exercises because you’re working a very small muscle group.

Do keep your elbows and knees free and loose. Use your abs to pull together.

To get visible abs
    Probably the most important part of getting visible abs is cardiovascular activity. Most people, even fit people have a layer of fat on their stomach that prevents the abs from being easily defined. If you want to be ripped, it’s essential that you do cardio, maybe even more important than the specific ab exercises themselves. Swim or run, maybe even some sprinting. Biking is also great cardio.

To get flat abs
    I know that personally I hate when people’s abs stick out like a 2 year old’s. Luckily this is very fixable. :grin: This exercise is very easy and you can do it any time and anywhere. All you need to do is pull in your stomach and flex. If you do it right, you should be able to breathe regularly. If you don’t get how to do this, push out your stomach with your muscles, not your lungs. Then reverse it. What you should feel is a tightness behind your abs pressing up and in. Another test is to poke yourself in the gut when you’re breathing in. The muscles that tense are the ones that you should feel working.

Diet

To keep your abs visible, you need to watch your diet. It’s not as hard as it seems – there are just a few basic rules.

Keep away from fatty meat or don’t eat meat at all. Avoid eating bacon and pork especially. Check out this chart http://www.med.umich.edu/UMIM/clinical/pyramid/meats.htm for a list of the leanest meats and poultry.

Avoid sugary food. Maybe one dessert a day at the very most. Don’t eat sugary snack foods. Have a granola bar or something. After reducing your sugar intake you will feel less tired. Sugar is stored by your body more often than it is used.

Drink water. Lots of it. At least a gallon a day. This helps to keep fat from building up.

Supplements
    I know it sounds like a dirty word, but some supplements are actually beneficial for you. Here are some basics! :slight_smile:

Warning: NEVER take more than the recommended dose. Some vitamins and minerals in excess are more harmful than when they are lacking, especially iron and other metals.

A standard multivitamin
    The first most important supplement. This is just a common sense thing to take.

Chromium
    This mineral helps manage your metabolism. Only a small dose is needed, i.e. 500 mcg or less a day.

Glutamine
    This is an amino acid that aids tissue repair and helps with digestive function. It decreases healing time and helps the body respond better to stress.

Green Tea
    This tea has been proven to help keep the fat off your body. Drink a glass a day or buy some extract pills.

Coenzyme Q10
    It helps oxygen get to your blood more efficiently and reduces fatigue, i.e. you can work out harder and longer.

#49 Alexander, Jun 21, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  10. Beebo

^ awesome. There is lots of great info there Alexander. Thanks for sharing.

However... I have to say... I probably don't follow many of these rules. Except Green Tea. Another couple awesome things to eat: Mustard, cinammon, dark chocolate... mmmm.

hahaha. Anyways. To say the least, I don't diet very well... but I do try to choose healthy foods.

Here's one of the biggest tips I can give you. Build Muscle if you want to lose weight. Your Metabolism will sky rocket. :slight_smile:.

Why?

Muscles are like Factories. The stronger/bigger they are, the more energy they will need to burn to maintain themselves. Once your factory is built, its much easier to diet and lose the weight. The factory might be hard to build at first, but once it is built, it is easy to maintain.

Because of My A.D.D. I have a lot of trouble writing up all these lessons online. It would be so much simpler to have you all here in person, that way I could see your problems, and fix them, so that you could get the best results, the fastest.

In the end though. You will not get a good body if you only diet. Working out is the platform for losing weight, losing fat, blah blah blah.

ANYWAYS.

I agree with Alexander about the fatty meats. BUT GOD... dont cut out meats completely. Meat should be your staple. especially chicken.

The rule with body building is
    -- Eat Beef if you want to beef up. (get bigger)
    -- Eat Chicken if you want to get lean. (get more defined).

Meat is low in carbs. And carbs are the devil. (especially muffins). hahaha.

Eat lots of vegetables. Eat lots of Fruit.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY. Drink lots of water. I can't stress this enough.

:grin:.

But you don't have to be perfect to have an okay body. I slack a lot hahah. Anyways. Off to work for me.

#50 Beebo, Jun 21, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  11. Alexander

Meh, I'm a vegetarian, what do you expect? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I eat lots of nuts and I break the rule for fish. Fish is the god of food. Beans are also amazing.

QFT again.

12. Beebo

I wont be posting any more workouts... I just don't have the time... If you have any questions, post them in this thread and I will answer them ASAP.

Sorry :kiss:

13. smartguy

id like to say for those that don't like running or can't find anyone to go running with (like me) dance dance revolution is a good way to exercise, and some wii games.

14. Trumpetplyer23

Another question about cardiovascular health. For about 13 years of my life, both of my parents smoked heavily, even around me. January of last year, my mom quit and then July of last year, my dad moved out.

So, I have some trouble breathing when I run, is the smoking related to that? I mean, I don't have asthma, because I go to a doctor and they've never found it.

Should I keep trying to improve my cardiovascular health?

15. Alexander

It definitely could be an effect of secondhand smoking. All you can do is keep working. Especially because of this. It will get easier.

You might also want to try some antioxidants which will improve your blood quality. :slight_smile:

The best foods are tomatoes, soy, red wine, fish, nuts, carrots and broccoli, and other bright colored fruits and vegetables.

You could buy some flax seed oil supplements (it comes in big jars) which are one of the best antioxidants. You can also take Coenzyme Q10 and milk thistle.

16. Alexander

Water!

It's the most important part of being healthy. Benefits include decreased tiredness/drowsyness, higher metabolism and energy, and a more constant "fresh" feeling :grin:

calculate how much you should be drinking with this tool!

17. Jace

this is a gooood guide !

good job!

i think my problem is the like layer of fat over my tummy
    cause im pretty skinny as it is
    and eating bad but i just recently cut out sodas and chips and am mainly drinking water aswell as some various fruit juices (mainly pomegranate (spelling?)

oh and i've found it helpfull to like chew sugar free gum so you arent tempted to snack on junk

18. Gumtree

My 2 cents :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

You're all gonna hate me for this lol

Green Tea: Yeah okay it has many benefits but close to all of them are neutralized when u add diary to it. Also peppermint tea has many benefits to it.

Dark Chocolate: Useless, yes it is known that cocoa has many health benefits but again the milk solids in the chocolate totally neutralize them.

Water: Totally agree, very important in so many aspects.

Vitamin Supplements: I object to the notion of needing to take vitamin tablets. Nutrition is my major and I am telling you now that if u have a well balanced diet then supplements are absolutely useless and can potentially do more harm than good.

Diary: MAJOR BONUS to people wanting to gain visible abbs, there are a lot of deluded or misguided people out there that believe Milk should be avoided. WRONG. Recent study shows that dairy products have massive benefits to metabolism control, fat storage and digestion of lipids. I have not yet done the research as to how but it is proven to help reduce fat in the abdominal region. Standard milk contains 3.6% saturated fats, if you calculate that down it's about 5.8g per glass which is rather small compared to many foods. Less than half an avocado, less than most snack bars and about 1/7 of a standard serve of pork.

Sugar: To start with you need to stop referring it to as sugar but splitting it into fructose, glucose and sucrose. All have negative effects when consumed in excess just like everything else but fructose and sucrose are very rarely over indulged in and can have many beneficial properties; glucose on the other hand should be avoided when possible. The effects of a sugar high and then the crash afterwards are due to glucose levels in the blood and the insulin needed to process it. Lactose also has many beneficial properties and is very hard to consume in excessive amounts.

When you're going to start doing these kind of exercises it's really worth while getting someone that knows what they're doing to help the first few times, if you're doing any of the moves the wrong way they can a lot of damage.

Never push yourself too hard, they always say that more reps of a lighter weight is better then less of a heavier weight. Some principal applies these home exercises, if you can't do 20 pushups without a lot of trouble then do 45-50 on your knee's for a while.

Dancing is a great source of exercise and a lot more fun than most!

Swimming is probably the best form of cardio and if it's convenient for you; better than running.

Alex's idea here:

To get flat abs
    I know that personally I hate when people’s abs stick out like a 2 year old’s. Luckily this is very fixable. This exercise is very easy and you can do it any time and anywhere. All you need to do is pull in your stomach and flex. If you do it right, you should be able to breathe regularly. If you don’t get how to do this, push out your stomach with your muscles, not your lungs. Then reverse it. What you should feel is a tightness behind your abs pressing up and in. Another test is to poke yourself in the gut when you’re breathing in. The muscles that tense are the ones that you should feel working.

This is a VERY effective workout and if you can do so while doing your cardio exercise will have amazing results!

Lymphatic layer: It use to accepted that only females that a lymphatic layer but it's recently discovered that all humans in good health have it. This means that no matter who you are and how much u work out, there will always be a small layer of fat under your skin. But of course u can still have a nice washboard stomach! TO SOME EXTENT the reason i mention this is because ethnicity can have an impact on it! Some backgrounds such as Tuscan, Hispanic and western Asia can have a thicker lymphatic layer and may make this a lot harder, DO NOT attempt to shed this layer because its basically impossible without very bad repercussions.

19. Alexander

gum is my lifesaver :grin:

You need cardio. that's all you can do to work on your fat layer. plus cardio makey people sexy. :grin:

20. Quitex

Quitex Guest

Oh Lord.