1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay guys and types of friends

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Joe2001, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sorry if I am angering you a bit - I have just spent some time reading back through the thread. I do genuinely appreciate the advice that people are giving me. I've been quite busy this week hence why I haven't been replying to all posts, but I have read them all.

I have put a bit of your reply in bold. I have actually had social interactions with straight people.

The "friend" who I sometimes hang about with - I think is straight, although prefers cats over other humans so may just be asexual. He has been an awful person to hang about with. We don't share any interests, sense of humor, and he just isn't a very nice person. I think my experience with him has tainted my view on friendship in general, although I know that there are better people out there.

Most guys in my school are probably straight. Let's ignore the younger kids, but focus on my year and the year above. I have had straight guys in the year above take the mick out of me for acting different to them, and they just giggle when they are around me. A bit creepy and immature, and it certainly hasn't helped my image of straight men. Equally, some straight guys in my year have picked on me in the past, with one making a sexual comment towards me (he probably could guess I was gay). I know that they are mostly "lad" types, but I'm afraid that those sorts of folks would be toxic friends for someone like me.

Then, adult straight men. Most of my teachers this year are female, with only one male teacher (Computing). This teacher's friends keep coming into the class and I find their "lads" banter to be quite cringey and it makes me a bit uncomfortable. It is usually male teachers that I feel more intimidated around and it is certainly male teachers that I am more scared of disappointing (sorry women). My father is a "lad" type as well and he has occasionally made some off-color comments around me, and I find the way that him and his friends talk to just be a bit cringey.

Finally, let's talk about straight women. I suppose that I get on better with women than I do with men, although never really got the chance to socialize with them. I feel more comfortable with them (on the whole) than with men. One key incident to remember is from when I was in my first year of primary school. I naturally didn't like being around the boys so went to talk to the girls, but they seemed uncomfortable with me being around. Granted that I was sometimes a little weird, but I think it was more the fact that I was a boy and they were all girls. I wasn't necessarily rejected, but that has always made me feel as if I am not good enough to be a female's friend and this may have been 11 years ago, but it has really stayed with me. I have never really invested in friendships with women again since.
    I see some relatively effeminate/camp type guys who spend a fair bit of time around female friends and I just feel like I wouldn't be as good of a friend to them. Those guys may be straight or gay, but having observed their social interactions with girls, I just feel that girls wouldn't want someone like me as a friend.

Sorry for the long reply but I thought that I should clarify some things.

#41 Joe2001, Mar 23, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  2. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't really know how friendship works, that's the problem. Quite frankly, I do wish that some straight people would introduce me to gay folks. Not too sure that they would be rugby players (detest all team sports), and how many gay people are usually rugby players anyway? I would be shocked if a rugby team had 3 gay players.

Still, you are right - you never know where something may lead.

#42 Joe2001, Mar 23, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  3. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Then you might just be shocked--there's a whole gay league here.:smiley:

4. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I sure will be shocked. My school's main sport for guys is rugby. Having seen the types of guys who played it, I could personally never see any of them being gay.
    If we are going by stereotypes, most gay guys aren't into team sports. Obviously one size doesn't fit all, but stereotypes are sometimes accurate.

5. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for sharing a bit more of your history, I have a better idea of where you're coming from now.

You're still feeling a lot of the peer pressure you experienced at school, and this can affect us for a long time after we leave school. It can have an impact on how we perceive certain types of people, and how we react to them. And yes, it can make it difficult for us to trust them and try to form friendships with them.

In my school days I was into art, and hated sports. And when I went to uni for my art course, I thought I might meet other gay people who were a bit more like me. I was very disappointed. I was the only gay male student on my course. And when I got a job in a local gay pub to support myself during uni, I thought I might meet some other like-minded gay men. Again, I was disappointed. The gay men I was working with and serving had no creativity about them. All they ever spoke about was sex and clubbing and getting drunk. In some ways it felt like I was back at school, only instead of people making fun of me for being gay, they were making fun of me for not being gay enough.

In hindsight, there are things I probably could have done differently that would have let me feel a bit happier during those times. I think what I did wrong was having too many expectations and making too many assumptions. I had an idea of how i wanted to be treated and what sort of friendships I wanted to have, but the reality did not work out like that. When I realized that the people I was working with and studying with were not the kind of people I dreamed of meeting, I kind of shut myself down and avoided friendships with them. Oh, I was nice and polite to everyone, and I did get along with them, to an extent. But I wasn't truly connecting with them, because I didn't feel that any of them would meet up to my expectations, or that i would meet up to theirs.

I don't know if you can relate to some of what I'm saying, but the point I'm trying to make is: Don't make the same mistakes I made when I was younger. Don't let your expectations and assumptions of people get the better of you. A lot of people you meet during your studies and work might not make the greatest impression on you at first - that's ok. Lots of people make a bad first impression, and turn out to be better than we thought. And lots of people make a good first impression and turn out to be worse than we thought. Nobody is perfect.

Friends don't always just find each other and click straight away. Sometimes it requires a bit more effort. It's about giving people a chance to get to know you, and giving yourself a chance to get to know other people.

6. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sorry, I have been out all day and only just got the chance to reply to your post.

I can absolutely relate to what you are saying. I also have these set expectations and assumptions about different types of people. I guess that I am probably doing it wrong.
    Having had some bad experiences with people has led me to think of the whole concept of friendship in a bit of an odd way.
    I know that friendships don't just automatically come, and it does require effort, but I feel like I am just such a social outcast that it will never work. I won't lie - it has made me depressed at times. I wish that I had those people in my life who like me, appreciate me and are great to spend time with. That particular "friend" (I use that term very, very loosely) didn't even wish me a happy birthday last year, and just talked about himself for most of the day. It's as if he didn't care about me.

I appreciate all of the advice, however I am unsure of how to pick myself up.

7. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's happened to me as well. Within the last year, in fact. I worked with someone who I really admired and thought we had a great working relationship with, and I felt really strongly that we could have a good friendship as well if we took a chance. But we parted ways and he hasn't said a word to me since. It does upset me that he hasn't reached out to me at all. He didn't even send me a happy birthday message on facebook, and I have contacts on facebook who I've only met once in person, and they wished me a happy birthday. So, why couldn't this person be bothered?

Oh well, I'm sure he has his reasons, and if he doesn't want to share them with me, that's his decision, not mine. Fortunately I do have other friends in my life to turn to.

But we do go through life meeting people we like who don't like us back. And we sometimes meet people we don't like, yet they want to be best friends with us. Sod's law.

I think what you need to do is start valuing yourself more. Because I struggled with making friendships when I was younger, and a lot of it had to do with how little I thought of myself. I had ups and downs with my confidence, but there was always something about me that I felt uncomfortable with, and felt like I didn't deserve friendships. I didn't actually learn how to value myself until I reached my thirties. I hope it doesn't take you this long to pick yourself up, and that you figure out how to surround yourself with good friends. Feel free to keep coming back here to ask for advice and opinions.

8. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Nice to see that I am not the only person that has been around disinterested and toxic people.

It's tough to value myself when other people can't see the good in me. I think that I am in need of a fresh start and maybe going to uni and making friends there would be my best option. I also want to work on cruise ships when older, so there will be a huge number of people on there who would make great friends.

Maybe one day...

9. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A fresh start would be great for you. I thought I would be getting a fresh start when I finished school and started college, but it wasn't quite enough. I studied at a university close to where I grew up, so I carried on living with my parents and my siblings. I missed out on the experience of being independent and having to fend for myself and living with total strangers, and having the freedom to go out whenever I want and not have to explain to anyone when I would be home. I do think this made it difficult for me to have a social life. Who would want to hang out with the guy still living with his parents? And still having fights with my siblings over what to watch on TV and what video game to play and what music to listen to in my 20s did not do a lot for my self esteem at all. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I do have a good relationship with my siblings now that we are older and living our own separate lives, but looking back, I think my relationship with them held me back. They would often make fun of me, and I would suffer their jealousy because I was the youngest and most spoiled by our parents, and they would often criticize my decisions and just not let me be myself. I always felt judged by them. So while I still love them, I do believe that getting some distance from my siblings had a beneficial effect on me, as I was then able to become my own person without worrying about what somebody else might think.

Distancing yourself from certain people, whatever your relationship with them may be, can be another important step to moving forward.

10. Celapalais

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm a little biased being someone who is gay myself, but I would say that most the gay people that I have met in person have not been nice to me at all (although that could be because of me).

Gay men tend to like to compete against each other because it's very easy to compare ourselves because we can gauge how sexually attractive we are to others in conjunction with other factors. Therefore, I've only found a couple of gay people I've truly gotten along with: those who are very secure about themselves, those who are better than me (financially, physically speaking, and all other ways), and my boyfriend (because he is an angel that God has made out of the clouds of the stars).

I would say make friends with anyone, it does not matter, but do not sell yourself short because people will use you. Once you put your foot down and show a bit of confidence against people who are fake or who seek to use you, things become so much easier to deal with.

11. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What was up with these gay guys? Personally, I feel that straight guys have treated me the worst.

12. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Its their own issues, don't take it personally. LGBT folk have that much more baggage to deal with, but like you said, there are amazing guys out there.

13. Celapalais

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    No idea, perhaps I was just different. My friends have always told me that I am threatening to others, if not in appearance, then in the way I am. Apparently, I am considered intelligent in the small university I attend in America: I'm an international student with a full scholarship. I'm also comparatively well spoken, and I speak the Queen's English (although in Glasgow, I would imagine that I would be considered scum for doing so lol). I'm also relatively tall (6').

They might also sense that I am a little bit insecure about my appearance so they like to prey on it. Maybe it's a bit of racism too (I'm not too sure). I'm the only gay person in my school that is East Asian in ethnicity and we all know the stereotypes that come with that. I think it might just boil down to the fact, that a lot of them are shallow or base most of their value on their appearance with nothing underneath it at all.

Straight guys on the other hand treat me well because, once again, they are scared of me because of my height. But I guess the competition that I have with them is non existent so there's less animosity.

14. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It doesn't surprise me that gay guys like to compete with each other.
    Yeah, Glasgow is an odd place. Most people speak a whole different language to normal English, believe me. I don't get the impression that it is a gay-friendly city either.
    I'm not the tallest guy so people aren't necessarily intimidated by me, but rather the opposite. I am very intimidated by a lot of straight men, as covered in my reply to @Nice Dave on Saturday. Adult straight men scare me, then there are the "lads" and rugby lovers at school. I just don't fit in with that sort of person. Some may say that girls would be better friends for me, but I couldn't deal with all girls as my friends, nor do I think that I would meet their standards for a GBF.

15. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Does anyone now have some advice on how to actually make friends? I wonder that if I came out as gay at school, more people may want to befriend me. I just do feel a little bit like a social outcast.

Also, I know that this is an unpopular opinion, but I do believe that my sexuality defines me and the type of person I am to an extent, which could influence my future friendships.

#55 Joe2001, Mar 26, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  16. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Joe, just out of interest, which people are you out to?

17. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The so called "friend" who I hang about with, and then a few teachers at my school know because of an essay which I wrote about my experience coming to terms with being gay.

I am not out to family, and in all honesty, I don't want to tell any of them.

18. Celapalais

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Perhaps a problem that you have here is that you assume having female friends equates to falling into an unhealthy or undesirable stereotype. You have to ask yourself why you cannot deal with girls being your friends. Upon reflection, I think you may find that your reasons for that are trivial more than not.

Also, "lad" culture really needs to stop, the blatant sexism that comes with it can really be annoying. It should have ended during the Thatcher years. You will come to understand that there are more men in the world than just lads out there, when people mature you will find that lads make up a very small minority of the population of men.

19. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How do you think your family will react?

If you don't want to tell them yourself and decide to come out to more people at school, then there's the risk of your family finding out from somebody else.

Maybe you originally wanted to wait until you reach uni so you could come out then, around completely new people?

20. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My mum is a strong Catholic, and my dad is a homophobe and arguably a "lad", so probably not well. I could probably wait until uni, but why hide a part of myself?
    Quite frankly, I'll be glad if they find out from someone else. Maybe that will make them realize that their beliefs made it a lot harder for me.