1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay guys and types of friends

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Joe2001, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I haven't got any good friends and want that to change.
    What types of people would be the best to be friends with?
    I was thinking that other gay guys would be the option. I couldn't have all friends being girls (honestly, I don't feel as if I would meet the standard for a girl's gay best friend anyway), and I am scared by straight men and don't feel as if they would have anything in common with me.

Can some gay guys give me some perspective on friendship and their own social situation?

Thanks.

2. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Anyone got some insight?

3. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Straight men make the best friends. A straight man who is secure in his own sexuality doesn't care who you are interested in. He doesn't care what sort of sex you are into. He accepts that you are gay and just respects you for being open and honest about yourself.

For a lot of gay men and straight women, being openly gay is not enough, they always want more out of you. They want to ask nosy questions and hear all of your juicy gossip about your sex life. They don't like you being single and they want to pressure you into getting a boyfriend so that you become more interesting to bitch about. You get much less of this bullshit if you hang out with straight men. I find straight men much more laid back and engaging to talk to than gay men and straight women.

4. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    How about someone who accepts you as you are? Personally, most of my friends share interests, which might or might not have something to do with sexuality or gender.

5. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I feel the opposite. Straight men in general intimidate me, and I picture most of them to be obsessed with football, drinking beer and talking like 'lads'. I never want to be friends with straight men.

6. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Joe, just be yourself. People will either not like you or like you for who you are. The ones who don't like you are not needed anyway.

7. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know, but having spent so many years with no friends, there is clearly something not quite right. I am fed up with being a social outcast and want that to change.

8. the prince

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I totally understand you; I was lonely in high school(which was only for boys) because I didn't like being around straight men with their talks about girls and football eww.
    But now in university a lot of straight guys are more "mature" I guess and more diverse in their interests.
    So I hope in time you'll find that that stereotype is not really accurate.

9. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Glad that is the case. I just don't feel right around straight men. Maybe it is the way that my dad acts around his friends, or male teachers or classmates, but I don't like that sort of company.
    I do want to make friends with gay guys, although I don't know any yet. Whilst I don't mind being friends with a few women, I couldn't have every friend being female (I don't want to be that guy) and I don't feel that I would match their standards for a GBF, as @Nice Dave said.

10. the prince

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Funny thing, I don't have any gay friends or female friends, just a bunch of straight homophobic male friends. :joy::face_palm:

11. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Why hang about with them then?

12. the prince

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's not common to bring gay stuff here but when they do I argue with them without outing myself to them.
    And I don't blame them for being homophobic because of their conservative upbringing that I also had.
    And we are only 4 guys in the 2nd year so not many options.

13. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    In all honesty, what types of people make the best friends for a gay person? I am happy to hear different opinions on straight guys, or indeed gay guys and girls. I do need some direction in terms of friendships as I can't stay with none for the rest of my life.

14. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My straight male friends aren't like that. Most of my straight friends don't even like sport, they are into art and music and writing and geeky stuff like video games and comics. They all watch the same TV shows as me. And even the ones who do like sport are able to converse with me about a range of different subjects.

I don't need to act like a butch, burly straight man to impress my straight friends, they appreciate me because I am different from most guys they've associated with. And that's refreshing for them.

15. Lexa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not male and not gay but I think you should try to find out what you're looking for in a friend regardless of their gender or sexual orientation. I get along with practically anyone who has a positive attitude, is intelligent and has a good sense of humor.

16. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What would you say is the issue with women and gay men?
    I have just had some bad experiences with straight men and don't feel that they would accept me as gay. Maybe being raised by a father who is a bit of a lad has made me think that way, but it makes me uncomfortable. I don't feel that I would have much in common with straight men.

17. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What do we have in common with straight women, besides the fact that we both like men? We don't have vaginas. We don't have periods. We don't carry children. So technically we have more in common with straight men than straight women.

You said yourself that you don't think you meet the standard of a girl's gay best friend - why is that? I don't want to be a girl's gay best friend because I don't want to be seen as a shopping partner to exchange fashion tips with. Being obsessed with clothes and facials and hair styling products makes people look totally shallow. Straight men are less likely to be as obsessed with their outward appearance. And I don't want to be dragged onto the dance floor with drunken girls using me as an excuse for them to act like sluts.

You say you don't feel you'd have much in common with straight men - what, you don't watch any TV shows or movies? You don't listen to any music? Straight men have tastes in movies and music. They read books and keep up with current events on the news. They have health and fitness issues. They like animals and have pets. They have jobs and work for a living. These are things we have in common with our straight brothers.

The major difference is, that since they don't want to hear us go into detail about gay sex, and we don't want to hear them go into detail about straight sex, then we are able to have VERY deep and meaningful conversations about topics besides where we like to stick our penises. THAT's what makes straight male friends more appealing to me than gay male and straight female friends.

18. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know it's kinda filled with stereotypes, but guy friends. Maybe I just had "bad luck" or it's my fault, but most girls I interact regulary with seem to process and react differently to things than I would. This makes things more dramatic. Could just be me or the 4 or 5 females friend(-ish) I hang out with lol.

I've actually been hanging out with my bf and my brother the most over the last few weeks, and it's nice. I think I just enjoy hanging out with people would are fun, yet blunt and to the point.

19. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have friends pretty much across the spectrum but I will say that the majority--and certainly the strongest friendships--are other gay men. I certainly don't rule any body out demographically but I do feel like the easiest and most loyal friendships I've had have been gay men for a long time. I feel a certain kinship there that makes starting and building on friendships easier.

20. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Joe, may I ask how old are you? In college, or university as I think you guys call it?