1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Expose myself......

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by merlin, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Merlin,

For the record, and being about the same age group you are I don't think I've ever had a conversation about retirement, pensions, health problems, or anything else you're describing as a "typical 50 year old conversation" with people in my age cohort. Instead, those conversations are about technology, spirituality, music, environmental issues, TED talks, interesting business developments, relationships, politics, and so forth. In fact, one of my friends, who is in his mid-70s and didn't come out until his late 60s, was showing us his pictures of his trip to Burning Man, and we were talking about politics in the gay community. The so-called "old age" topics almost never come up.

It seems like you have a really, really negatively skewed idea about people your own age, and I can near-guarantee you that if you enter therapy with the idea that you can't change your attractions, and that I'm wrong... you will likely create a self-fulfilling prophecy. So, honestly, unless you're going to go in with a can-do attitude, it isn't worth wasting your time and money.

It also seems like, no matter what people are telling you, you still aren't interested in having a healthy relationship, and aren't willing to accept that a healthy relationship with someone young enough to be your son isn't going to happen.

So... have at it.

2. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Eh, you're only 28. While it depends on individual circumstances and maturity levels, I don't think dating 18-25 at your age is all that out of the ordinary, a single-digit age gap is not at all insurmountable the way a 30-year age gap is...

I know an older (straight) couple who have a 13-year age gap between them, the husband is in his mid 60s while the wife is in her early 50s, they've been married for decades, are successful, and have four children, one of whom I went to school with...AFAIK their age has never become an issue in any way, and they don't look any out of the ordinary together. It would be different if they were 30 years apart though.

So age gaps are fine within reason; in fact it would be unreasonable to expect that your destined true love has to be the exact same age as you. It's about what position you are in in life, and your individual maturity level. But unfortunately for the OP, I don't think a 53-year-old and a 23-year-old can ever possibly be in the same position in life and have the same level of maturity.

3. merlin

merlin Guest

Hi Chip,

I was obviously charging the topic not suggesting that 50+ people cannot talk about other things that what I mentioned (I in fact was inspired by your suggestion about the fundamental differences between young and old people where you explicitly mentioned retirement ;-). But, I also know a lot of 50+ people for whom such topics are very important and part of their discussions a lot. I guess, your friends are happy campers in their fifties and older and that is great. I don't have a negative view on my generation (well a bit that is true when it comes to some of them), and I have excellent relationships with several members of that generation, but I don't sleep with them (that point still doesn't seem to come across somehow).

OK, re therapy. I'm sorry, but saying the therapy won't work unless you want to is a classical therapist copout. Those things are typically (and justifiably) said for placebo effects. It is a real nice ploy for therapists. If the client changes (however that is defined because objective and standardized outcomes measures for this kind of stuff are seriously lacking) it is the therapist's skill that made it happen and if he/she doesn't change, it is the client's lack of commitment and effort. Both are not really true in many cases. So, you believe in therapy and I am skeptic. We both have experiences to support our arguments and the science isn't very clear (to put it mildly) on this either (if you can convince me with published data in reputable journals I'll buy you a beer if we ever meet ;-). So be it.

Finally, what you call a healthy relationship is for me ill-defined because just having a partner of my age is not by any definition necessarily a healthy relationship (see my previous post). Again, I'm not saying a relationship between an older and younger man is easy and many issues can arise, but I can see also many issues arising with living with a man of my age (and perhaps even more in my case and not because of the reasons you mention above). You don't believe in this type of relationship and I accept your opinion in this matter. What I don't accept is that such a relationship is by definition doomed and unhealthy. Yes, many of those relationships fail but so do your so-called healthy relationships. Let's just agree we disagree on this point and who knows, maybe I find that older person who pushes all the right button in me and I will be happy with him for as long or short as we live. I don't exclude that, I just don't think it is going to happen.

---------- Post added 30th Jul 2013 at 02:26 PM ----------

Nor do they have to be necessarily to be able to make a relationship work. And as I said earlier, I work with young men who show more maturity than some of the older men I meet and in some professional areas, common interests can supersede (even large) age differences. I was accused of having a negative skewed image of my generation (I don't actually, in general) but it seems you have a very negative view on yours. That is a shame, because there are many great young men out there who are not the party type, the jock type or whatever type you object to.

4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been keeping my trap shut through this one. I have a question. Is asking someone about things that you experienced, but the other person has not, really all that gratifying? Sometimes, I'll have a CD in the car, pull up to get gas, and get asked who the artist is. The person, usually male, in close proximity to the pumps is clueless. I can give many examples of things like this that might happen. The sitcoms do a fairly good job of using this as fodder, though they fail at other things, but that's another thread. I'll admit that I sort of had the reverse problem when I was younger, in my mid teens and through my 20s, meaning I thought 40-ish handsome men made for good eye candy, but I wasn't interested in relating to them on an ongoing basis. I still kept to people my own age, more or less. Now that the years have gone by, I pretty much like my own age group because of the commonalities. Some of my family members have kids in college or high school, and there's not much on which to connect. Conversations of any length can be trying. Just saying.

5. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It also happens to be supported by most of the research on psychotherapy. There's no question that clients who voluntarily enter therapy without being arm twisted by family members or others have better outcomes than those who don't. Additionally, people who voluntarily enter therapy but aren't ready or willing to do the necessary work generally don't have great benefit either. This isn't to say that therapy has no effect on those who are in it unwillingly, only that the outcomes are universally much better when the client is actually engaged and interested in changing.

You aren't, so, as I said before, you're going to create a self-fulfilling prophecy, and then go "See? See? I told you it wouldn't work!" Therefore, you're better off going and buying yourself the boyfriend of your dreams, because that's what it will be.

When you look at measurable outcomes and other factors, it is true that simply talking to someone and being listened to by itself has some measurable benefit for most people, particularly for things like depression. But the issues you're describing are more complex, and a skilled therapist doing insight-based work (as opposed to CBT or other brief-therapy protocols) will, over time, be able to help you understand the underlying issues which will, in turn have a major positive effect. But if you resist the process the entire way because you're convinced it won't work... it's going to either be hard to have real success, or it will take a really long time.

So the bottom line is, if you don't think therapy works (which is not the case, if properly engaged in by a skilled therapist, and there's plenty of evidence to back up my point), then why in the world are you wasting (from your perspective) time and money with it?

First, as I said above, I am in your age group. Second, I have a number of friends who range in age from late teens to 80s, and I have business partners who are in their early 20s to mid 30s, so I have a pretty vast range of experience of differing age groups to draw from. And nearly all of my friends are the responsible, professional, non-partying types, whether they're 20 or 80, but none of them have the slightest interest in someone twice (or half) their age, because they are (for the most part) emotionally healthy and understand why it wouldn't work even if they were attracted. Getting along with someone you work with is completely different than being in a relationship with them. I'm happy to work with someone 20 or 80... but I instantly see the differences and why a primary relationship with them would not be healthy. If you also have this background, it escapes me why you don't also see this, unless you're simply blinding yourself to it.

Duh. People in age-gap relationships certainly don't have a monopoly in the unhealthy relationships department. Read here on EC about relationship issues, and you'll see we have a plethora of them among age-concordant people.

However, when you remove the age gap, you remove one of the only all-but-insurmountable hurdles in creating a healthy relationship. If you have two people of similar ages, even if they have enormous self esteem, self worth, communication, and other issues, if they are both willing to actively work on their issues, and stay engaged in that process then they can work on the issues and have a good shot at resolving them. One cannot remove fundamental life-stage differences that amount to different goals, focus, and so forth. But you're not really interested in listening to anything other than a justification to chase guys half your age. I suspect that if I pulled up the perfectly documented journal with a study of 15000 men who'd had successful therapy, you'd find some bullshit reason why it didn't apply to you / wasn't valid / didn't adequately address the issue / etc.

All I'm saying is... it's probably not a very good use of time and money to spend it on therapy if you don't believe in it and aren't willing to do the work required of good therapy.

Yes, I think it's an "agree to disagree" thing, and it's certainly your life to live, so go live it. Just don't expect EC as a community to be helpful in finding relationships with people half your age that are likely to cause even more psychological damage to the younger person than they already have if they're attracted to someone your age in the first place.

6. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

I don't think it's anything unique to this generation, I think young people of every generation have very different ideas about what kind of life they want to lead compared to old people. I doubt that people in your generation, when you were in your 20s, were interested in settling down with 50-year-olds approaching their retirement years, rather than exploring what life has to offer with your peers. I have to agree with Chip that those who are interested in doing that are not going to be healthy, well-adjusted young people.

Having common professional interests is fine, but that's not the basis for a long-term romantic relationship. In a long-term relationship, a couple want to experience life together; when there's a 30 year age gap, one person is at a very different point in life and experiencing very different things from the other.

The younger person is experiencing things that the older person already experienced decades ago. Rather than experiencing them together, the younger person would probably be coming to the older person for support and advice from their own vast experience- like a son comes to a father. So relationships like this will always develop some degree of a paternal nature rather than a relationship of equal partners.

7. secrethermit

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The views here directed towards age-gap relationships almost reminds me of the attitudes of homophobes towards same sex relationships in general.

If he's not interested in guys his own age then the suggestion that he seeks therapy to change his attractions is like telling someone to seek ex-gay therapy.

If a young person has somehow managed to sexualise an attraction to someone much older then it's likely to be just as deep seated as the older guy's attraction.

However, I have met someone 21 in a "dad/son" relationship and he was quite severely messed up (childhood abuse, partially stuck in a child-like state etc). I was deeply disturbed when he told me the details of it and I do wonder whether the "dad" in this kind of relationship is just reluctantly acting that role solely as a ploy to get a guy 1/2 or 1/3 his age. And if he's not acting then that kind of makes it worse 'cause he'd have an incest fetish...

So yeah, if he decides to pursue a relationship like this then he'll probably need to accept that it won't be 'normal' and may involve exploiting someone's bad childhood.

8. merlin

merlin Guest

Hi Tightrope,

I don't think that is a simple question. I can imagine situations where having shared experiences can be great but also boring and quickly leading to "been there, seen that, know it" etc. On the other hand, not having shared experiences can be a rich source of exchange and learning. This is not an age thing at all, in my mind. I enjoy meeting with young people and old people with whom I share little experience and I can also be put off by conversations where the shared experiences add little new or challenging to the discussion. Let me give you a short (made up) scenario: three people at train station, train is late. Middle person says: train is late. Person on right: yes, seems a lot these days. Middle person: yes, that is true. Person on right: frustrating. [end of conversation but very shared experience]. Middle person to person on left: train is late, eh? (Canada remember). Person on left: yes, but do you know why? Person in middle: no, do tell. [conversations goes on till train arrives]

Obviously, simple and bit silly example but I hope you get the point. There is benefit in having sharing experiences as well as not having those and learn from each other. Younger people can have experiences that are common with experiences of people who are older and both have different experiences. That is not a problem in my mind, that is a rich source for working on a relationship. In my view, a relationship needs some challenge to move forward. Age differences (among other things) can be one in some respect. And, the young people I talk to, rarely disappoint me in their ability to talk about interesting things and experiences and that includes my kids who are adolescents.

9. merlin

merlin Guest

I'm glad you can speak on behalf of the entire community and attempting to guilt me into thinking I can aggravate psychological damage that in your view is already there. Sorry, I don't go for that kind of bully tactics. I sincerely hope that you are not a therapist, because if you are, you must have skipped a lot of important classes in your training. If you're not, I also hope you don't work with real clients, because I think the psychological damage you are able to inflict on them seems pretty scary.

I think I will have an interesting talk with my therapist about all this.

---------- Post added 30th Jul 2013 at 06:30 PM ----------

Again, I'm not convinced that is necessarily a bad thing. It is unfortunate you use the words "a son comes to a father" because I don't think this has anything to do with a son/father relationship. I say a younger person comes to a older person for advice and the older person can in many other cases go the younger person for advice on issues the older person is not familiar with. It is never a one-way street, except for cases where one person depends completely on the other person emotionally etc. and I've seen many of those cases in age-matched hetero and homo relationships. You and Chip seem to think only in stereotypes and I respect individual variability. Not everything that is different or out of the box is by definition deviant (please read carefully, I'm saying "by definition" indicating that there are cases where it can be).

---------- Post added 30th Jul 2013 at 06:34 PM ----------

I think you make some good points here, secrethermit. And everyone can find examples of bad relationships (not just age-based) and of course, that is on my mind. I just don't give in to a-prior judgement and putting people in boxes just because they are young (or old). I know what I want and who ever fits the shoe, please step in my car. We'll enjoy the ride or we will part way if that is the best solution.

#49 merlin, Jul 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2013
  10. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

As Chip has said, if someone is seeking to date someone twice their age, there is ALWAYS an underlying issue there.

So in other words, you want a (much) younger partner because they'll be around to be your caretaker as you get older and become physically/mentally dependent? Wow, if that's your motivation, this is an even worse idea than I thought.

It's totally selfish to take advantage of someone in that way. That is NOT a healthy foundation for a relationship.

Dating a 20-year-old isn't going to make YOU any younger or make YOU live any longer... so don't you care at all about putting the younger person in the exact situation you're saying you would not want to be in, i.e., having a sick or dying partner?

And what happens when you do die, your young partner wasted his youth away and now has nobody around for him as he gets older.

No, no, no, this idea sounds worse and worse the more this goes on.

Yes, they come to each other for advice, they don't have a sexual and romantic relationship with each other. Healthy relationships occur when couples are on equal footing, not when one partner is in a position to exert power over the other in a 'daddy'-style relationship.

11. merlin

merlin Guest

OK, first where do you read I want a caretaker? That has never even crossed my mind. My argument was that long-term relationships you think are impossible (based on nothing but anecdotal information as far as I can tell) between younger and older men and therefore should not be pursued, are also pretty limited for people of my age. Apparently I was not clear enough on that one or people read what they want to read. And about the wasting youth etc. see my previous post.
    Then the issue of daddy style. You are thinking stereotypes again. I think that even with an age difference it is possible that people respect each other, learn from each other, have different experiences on which to build a deeper relationship, and find satisfaction at a physical level without having a real or perceived power issue. Again, I apparently need to be blatantly obvious all the time, I'm not saying it won't happen. It happens a lot (with or without age gap). It is just your idea that it will be always there. And talking about power, the power can be as likely with the younger person as with the older person. Relationships are as variable and complex as people. Learn to embrace that concept instead of relying on stereotypes and bad psycho-babble.

12. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

You made a comment about how you didn't want to date someone your own age because you know there's a good chance that a similar-aged partner would become mentally or physically dependent, or die with age.

You recognize that would be a bad situation for you, so why do you think it is fair to saddle a young person with that sort of burden as you age?

I don't buy your argument at all that relationships between people in their 50s are "limited" because one partner will get sick or die quickly. Lots of people meet at that age and go on to have meaningful relationships together that can last years or even decades. Plenty of gay divorcees out there looking to finally get into a same-sex relationship- you'll have a lot of shared experience with them, you'll be in the same station in life, and those relationships can work.

On the other hand, a 53-year-old dating a 25-year-old, no, that won't work out well, you don't have any shared experience, you're in completely different positions in life.

And no, you never did address the point about the fact that you're taking advantage of a vulnerable young person and making them waste their own youth away taking care of you, and then they have nobody for them when they get old, because you're dead and buried by then. Stealing the youth of someone else won't bring your youth back.

13. merlin

merlin Guest

I did not say I did not want to date an older person because of that risk. I don't want to date an older person because I'm not attracted to older persons in general. I also never said it was fair to make a younger person deal with that issue if I age, and if I would never expect a younger or any person for that matter to do that if they don't want to do that. Taking care of a sick or dying person is hard for a person of any age, although you only seem concerned about this being a young person? Please don't put words in my mouth I did not say.

You may not buy that argument, but the facts are also simple. People in their fifties and older are more likely to die or get sick than younger people so changes are higher that relationships may not last long. And of course, there are plenty of relationships in that age range that can last longer. I was just trying to let you know that your claims about the difficulty of having long-term relationships between people of different ages could easily be made (for different reasons) about age-matched older people as well. Also, I did not say relationships that you indicate would not work, but I don't feel they would work for me. Will I avoid a person in that age range if he pushes the right buttons. No, as I have been writing several times already. Is it likely to find such a person in that age category for me. Not so likely, no. What is so hard to understand about that? Do you find it easy to find a person in your age category? You said you had trouble doing so. Why? Do they not appeal to you? They do not fit your expectancies? Hm, sounds familiar doesn't it?

Re shared experience between a 25 and 53 year old. What makes you think they cannot have shared experiences. No, not shared in time, but shared in terms of similar events and consequences or in some cases, even the age at which these events happened etc. yes. And different positions in life is not by definition a problem, but I won't repeat that whole argument.

Finally about the wasting youth again (you seem to really be hang up on that). What I did say about that is when an older person (53) has a relationship with a younger person (say 25) and the older person dies 20 years later (that is a pretty long relationship in my terms), the younger person is 45 and still able to find a new relationship (hey, you said so yourself about plenty of divorcees etc.). Many guys at that age are considered by some in their prime age. Has he wasted his youth. What an arrogant statement. You just assume that this poor young person suffered through a horrible time with this old guy and had no fun in life, no satisfaction and nothing that otherwise he would have had with the type of young guys you seem to despise. Instead, he might have had the time of his life, a nice place to live, good food, a caring older partner, etc. Would he be consumed by being in a dysfunctional relationship? Not if he stays in that for 20 years, I would seriously doubt that. So, not all doom and gloom. Lighten up, Rakkaus, find your own niche of happiness and grant other people theirs.

14. RainbowMan

I've been reading this thread, and resisted saying much more than I already had because I didn't think I had much to add. I still don't, but I want to say that Rakkaus is right on here.

As someone that's somewhere in the middle of age between him and Chip, I fell comfortable personally saying that I wouldn't feel comfortable dating you (even if I met your laundry list of physical criteria, which I don't). If you can be my dad, you can't be my lover. There is nothing healthy about that. And I'm at the upper end of your supposed "age bracket"

Heck, I might have a hard time dating someone that's 40 (and that's only 6 years older than me! - though that may be psychological because of the number, and I prefer guys my own age to slightly younger - by slightly I mean 28 would be the BOTTOM EDGE, and he'd have to be perfect, by which I mean emotionally ready to settle down with someone 6 years older than he is - nothing physical)

I spent some time at the library tonight doing research on the efficacy of psychotherapy. It will take me some time to digest the data, but I think I got some pretty good articles which state pretty much what Chip has already said in this thread, if you want references from "respectable journals".

15. merlin

merlin Guest

I'm always off to bed, but just a quick response. First, my criteria do not reach for perfect (which you seem to look for apparently), just things I value and others may not. Second, why do you think I expect you to become my lover? I know that the majority of young men do not go for older men. Fine, I'm okay with that. All I have said, is that the likelihood of someone pushing the right buttons for me is in the younger age category. You associate that with the daddy metaphor and I think that is ill-conceived only because it is based on age. If I are attracted to a younger man, do I think of that person as my son. Hell no. I would never be attracted in such a way to my son (provided I had one before people start throwing that against me). Just because psychology (some forms of psychology theories) has used the convenient metaphor of father and son relationships for older and younger men, does not mean it is correct any more that the computer metaphor is a correct one for how the brain works. They are both convenient, simplistic and wrong in many ways. Do let us know about the results of your search and remember, my argument is not that psychotherapy in general does not work (so don't come with papers on phobias or certain forms of depression etc.). My argument is and always has been, that changing one's attractions after being this way for more than 40 years is not going to happen any more than I can make you love woman with all the therapy in the world. Show me the paper that has clear evidence of therapy being successful in that respect (attractions in older gay men, not turning gays into straights because we know that doesn't work already) and I'm in. I will not make bs excuses as Chip already assumes, just use standard scientific criteria to evaluate the evidence. That is fair and how it should be.

Ok, not a short response. Now I'm off to bed. Sweet dreams everyone and good thing dreams are still allowed to include all relationships ;-)

16. endear

So, I have the choice to stay alone or find a way to ask my wife to take me back (which is hard for her I'm sure) and just hide back in my closet, or just end it all and be done with it. At this point, I'm still hoping there is someone out there but I realize it is mostly dreaming.

I think you have received sound advice from members today. I am concerned in the portion of the post that is above, you mentioned "just ending it all" as an option you would consider. It also seems as if you are implying that this becomes a more reasonable option (as well as the other 2 options specified), if you did not find the young man you are hoping to find. Is finding a young man so important that you would go into denial or give it all up if you were unable to secure a relationship with a much younger man? I agree with Chip, I think it would be invaluable for you to see a seasoned therapist. One that is not intimidated about confronting your distortions in thinking. One that will be able to point out how you use "yes but," to disqualify all statements that do not agree with your personal beliefs. One that will not let you hide behind intellectualism and your bravado that appears to cover up your low self-esteem. This I know is probably not something you would want to work on, hence negating all the benefits of therapy that way you can justify not working on these issues. I believe if you do choose to work on cognitive distortions and self esteem, then you will become more honest with yourself. You will also grow to like yourself more and when you do you will find that you can consequently be more accepting of others and they of you. I imagine your relationships with people your own age are pretty dissatisfying right now and that is part of the reason to retreat to a much younger population of friends. I do have hope for you. I just hope that you will find that hope for yourself and realize that you are valuable human being and deserve a better quality of life.

17. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Merlin,

You know, it's really interesting that as your arguments are getting more effectively shot down by a combination of a bunch of people here, your response is to start personally attacking the people making the comments. But that's the most common tactic of people with weak logic who are running out of arguments, so I'm honestly not surprised. And for someone who claims to know what good science is, and to be able to evaluate it... you certainly aren't doing a good job of refuting any of the arguments people here are making, other than by pulling stuff out of your ass.

Just for reference... I've never been attracted to people older or younger than myself, nor do I have any other personal stake or history that's affecting my comments. I have had a lot of therapy (as well as having some counseling training, though I am not a licensed therapist, and do not work in that capacity), and I have worked, both personally and professionally, with therapists in a professional setting, and so my knowledge in this particular area is fairly decent compared to most non-professionals. So your off-base (and off-topic) insinuations that I'm addressing this issue with you because of some sort of countertransference issue is completely groundless. The main reason I have a problem with older/younger relationships, and particularly for people like you seeking to take advantage of younger people, is that they nearly always end up royally fucking up the young people who get involved with them. The young people frequently end up feeling used, gross, ashamed, and often their self-esteem and sense of independence is even further damaged than it was in the first place, simply because a healthy person of that age is not going to be attracted to someone old enough to be their father.

So then you say that maybe you'll have to accept, essentially "damaged goods." Well that's really nice. You're going to take someone who's already really messed up (because that's all that's going to be attracted to someone twice their age), and mess them up further for your own selfish interests. I guess that's OK with you.

As far as justifying why therapy would likely work for you, if you were to go into it with an open mind... it's not unsubstantiated. The methodology is a complicated interaction of different elements, filters, experiences, and other issues you have that have developed through your life experiences, and unlike hardwired sexual orientation, there's no data to indicate that age preferences (other than, arguably, pedophilia, according to some research, but in any case, I don't think is your issue) have any hardwired components to them.

I and a number of other posters have already touched on many of the common elements that such therapy would address but your responses consist of basically just pulling stuff out of your ass ("convincing young people to stick with people their own age" is not a psychotherapeutic technique, and no ethical therapist would take that approach) and it's clear that you're trying to bullshit your way through arguing why psychotherapy would be ineffective, without really understanding what's involved.

If you actually understood insight-based therapy, you'd understand where the insights are coming from (yourself, encouraged through the support of the therapist) and the process by which those insights arise (exploring the experiences that have shaped the filters, erroneous beliefs, and other factors that have shaped your current beliefs.) And yes, it largely doesn't matter if the belief is a day old or 50 years old... it is quite possible to change it with insight-based work. The length of time varies, but good results for insight-based therapy seem to typically take 6 months to 1-1/2 years with a good therapist and a willing client. Unfortunately, it seems clear you aren't even slightly interested or open to the idea you can change -- which seems to be a near-complete 180 from the position you took in the beginning of the thread (which is, in itself, interesting), so for you, it's highly probable that it won't work, and will be a waste.

As for "buying" a boyfriend... sorry, but that's what it is. Why on God's green earth do you think someone young and attractive would be interested in someone old enough to be his dad? Sorry to delude you, but no matter how charming and delightful your personality is, or how many friends you have in their 20s... none of them have fantasies of jumping into bed with you. So yes, what you're going to end up with is "love" that's bought and paid for, whether through buying them gifts, dinners, trips, and other things they couldn't afford, or by taking care of their need for the dad they never had, or having someone to "take care of them" (and not in a healthy way.) Sorry, but likely you're going to end up with someone who will tolerate sex with you in exchange for whatever they get. With near certainty, it won't be true love, and it won't be healthy.

So if you're going to refuse the idea that you could be helped to find attraction to someone closer to your age, you might as well own what you're going to be going after, because dressing it up by another name isn't going to change what it fundamentally is. Call it what you like, claim the psychotherapy profession is unfairly labeling something inappropriately, but any intergenerational romantic relationship is going to end up with father/son dynamics in it, and essentially some sort of value in exchange for companionship. Of the people I know who are or have been in intergenerational relationships, whether they are the younger or the older one in it, that's pretty much acknowledged by both parties. Sad and fucked up, but that's what it is.

Actually, having worked in various capacities with a number of young people who have been in relationships with much older guys, I can't think of a single one of those relationships that was emotionally healthy, and none of them lasted very long. Do long-term age-disparate relationships exist? Maybe. But if so, my (pulled out of my ass) guess would be 1 in 1000. Add to that your ridiculously detailed and picky standards and... like I said, you're looking for a unicorn.

Also, it's pretty fucked up to say that you'll take the best years of someone's life, and when you die, they'll still be in their 40s and can start over. The point is, when you die, assuming you manage to find someone who will stay with you for 20+ years (which you won't, not if they're half your age), they'll be really messed up emotionally, because they've been in an unhealthy relationship forever. Bottom line is, what you're talking about is unbelievably self centered. But it's a free world, there are plenty of self-centered people out there, so, as I said above... have at it.

18. merlin

merlin Guest

Hi Chip,

Repeating the same circular arguments and using italics without adding any real backup but personal beliefs and biases does not make for strong reasoning. As for attacking people who you disagree with, I'm called "fucked up", "selfish", and others I forgot, but I guess that is okay. I have to make some important decisions and guess what, find my own way to literature on "age preferences" and psychotherapy because you and your colleagues are apparently unable to find those (if it exists at all). You say there is no data to show these preferences are hardwired, but there is also no data to show the opposite, is there? The research that indicates that being gay has a genetic basis is not that old and although strong, not yet generally accepted. People like you who want to fix others who are deviant in their eyes are still plenty around. Anyway, I have my choices laid out for me and frankly, based on these discussions the closet doesn't seem such a bad place as I thought it was. I may have to find the key again and if the door remains locked, I won't worry too much about getting old.

19. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's a big difference between calling a behavior or proposed action "fucked up" or "selfish" and calling a person one of those things. The former, according to all reputable researchers and clinicians, is focused on guilt, which is positive to psyche development and encourages positive change. The latter is shaming, which doesn't help anyone and promotes poor self esteem. If you took it as a personal attack (you're a fundamentally bad person) instead of a statement about behavior (That behavior/action is messed up), then I apologize because that was not my intent.

But why bother if you've already convinced yourself it isn't going to work? I can tell you, without question, of anecdotal data from therapists I've spoken to that it definitely works, in both directions. I have not taken the time to do an exhaustive literature search (and, actually, am more inclined to do so now so I'll be better equipped the next time we have someone making the same argument) but am glad you're doing so.

The bottom line here is, there's clinical experience of therapists I've known and worked with, and l have definitely seen evidence in the literature as well (though I don't have the citations handy... I will look for them though), that it is possible to change. Does it work 100%? Certainly not; nothing does. But that alone, for anyone with the desire to change, makes it worth the effort, provided one is remotely emotionally healthy enough, and open minded enough, to want to try, because no one emotionally healthy wants to potentially harm another person for their own emotional gratification. It's unclear whether this is the case for you, based on the resistance you've shown so far.

Here's where there's really defective thinking going on, where therapy would be of great help, if you believed in it. The research on shame is actually pretty solid; shame stands in the way of ability to love oneself, in the way of connection and a sense of belonging, and a sense that we're worthy of love. It also stands in the way of vulnerability, which is core to pretty much everything involved in living a healthy life (courage, authenticity, creativity, etc.) And it's impossible to not have shame when one is closeted.

I know that the closet might seem like a good option, but it really isn't. I'm not having these endless conversations because I dislike you, or think you're a bad person. As I said earlier in the conversation, when you are in the haze of depression, it can seem like there are no options. And clearly you're not getting appropriate treatment if you're taking a maximum dosage of an SSRI and it isn't working. This whole conversation has been (at least from my side) focused on convincing you there are options that stand a good chance of working, if you're willing to be openminded and approach them with a positive attitude. A lot of people have been in your situation (both the depression and the difficulty with being attracted to someone their own age.) Many of them have been helped. I know therapists who have been successful in this regard.

You can argue why it won't be successful for you, because you haven't seen clinical studies that suit your standard for academic vigor, and either stay closeted or search for something likely unattainable, or you can approach the situation with openmindedness, hope and belief that you can end up in a happy and emotionally healthy relationship, and dive in full bore and do your best to be one of those people who benefit tremendously from therapy and end up living a happy life. I'd love nothing more than to see you happy.

20. merlin

merlin Guest

Thanks Chip. I'm tired of arguing this and I understand what you are trying to say (I actually do). I will (as I have said repeatedly) bring this up with my therapist who actually works along the same method as you described (and which I looked up) and ask her about this. I still feel that I have the right to feel as I feel (and stand by my arguments for why I think this) and be open as to whom I can relate to (and as I have said also repeatedly, I don't care what age they have, but the changes of that being a person of my age or older are just slim). My trust in Psychotherapy for this type of problem remains limited and so far my search has not given any reasons to change my mind on this, but I'm happy for those people you know that apparently found help with having a similar preference and felt the need to change that. As for harming another person for my own self-interest, nothing if further on my mind, but isn't it interesting that in order to get really out of the closet I will harm my wife's feelings and probably do some major harm to her psychologically, so why is that deemed okay in this community? Is that not choosing my happiness over that of my wife? To me it seems you can't have it both ways. I will do damage either way and if that is the choice, I prefer to do all the damage to myself if I can.