1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Expose myself......

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by merlin, Jul 26, 2013.

1. merlin

merlin Guest

Hi RainbowMan,

There are certainly major differences in many facets between older and younger men, and you're probably right that many of such relationships are doomed to fail in the end because of that, but as with everything in life, I do believe that in specific cases it might work. Some have used the work "chemistry" and I think that is probably the key element here. If two people get along, share interests and have an open mind for what the other likes or not, and feel attracted to each other for not just physical reasons, I think there is hope for such a relationship. But, I'm preaching to the converted no doubt ;-).

---------- Post added 28th Jul 2013 at 01:27 PM ----------

Hi KyleD,

I'm looking for many qualities in a man. He has to be intelligent, a sense of humour, open minded and liberal, non-religious, slim, no to limited amount of body hair (and certainly not at his back), young in mind and hart, and not too muscular or too small (under 1.70 m). I know I'm probably very picky and someone might say, beggars are no choosers, but you know what, I am prepared to wait for someone like that and I've seen a few that fit most of this profile (including my big crush) but they all tend to be straight (which is interesting, because somebody (or was it in a song) once said "why are all the cute boys gay?").

2. LD579

Pardon me. That first article was... interesting. "That’s because I’m only attracted to really hot, muscular guys (especially Italian or Middle Eastern), in their early twenties." Hm.

The second article's relationship was almost assuredly unhealthy in some regard.

To merlin: I suggest you lower your expectations and go with what's non-negotiable, and with what's negotiable. For instance, it's likely that you would never want to date someone who's killed 50,000 people with a smile on his face. Now, what about someone who had hair on his back but he removed it? What about someone who had hair on his back but would be willing to remove it?

If you could try to see where your boundaries lie, and even test these boundaries... you may be more apt to find something similar to what you're looking for. No one's perfect. Let flaws shine, and embrace them, and things will look a bit more bright, I'd think.

To be blunt: if a guy somewhat intrigued you, but he was 40, let's say, instead of 25, it would not be that bad to just see where it may go. You don't need to be physically attracted to someone right when you meet them. Physical attraction can develop and deepen over time. You may find yourself just as satisfied, if not more so, if you find someone you can connect with who's also at a more settled place in life. It's just very hard to find such a thing in younger people because they haven't had as much experience in many things which only would happen as they grew older.

I wish you the best.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have to say... it sounds like, Merlin, you're more interested in justifying your current beliefs than in genuinely exploring what you can do to get yourself into a healthier place.

I can understand, in just coming out, that you want to (consciously or unconsciously) live the life you never had a chance to live in your 20s, but you're for the most part putting your hands over your ears and going "lalalalalalala" to the advice you're being given here.

To reiterate, you will not find an emotionally healthy person half your age who wants to be your boyfriend. Period. You'll find someone who will use you for everything you have, someone who has a problem with independence and wants someone to take care of him, or someone who has incredibly low self esteem.

Every gay guy wants an Adonis who is perfect. And many gay men are really shallow and totally don't get that personality, common interests, integrity, attitude, and empathy/caring are far, far more important than being young and cute. The ones who wait around forever for the perfect person that doesn't exist are usually the ones who end up lonely and unhappy. As Luthan said, you'll do much better to try to start being realistic about this, and honestly explore the possibilities with someone closer to your own age. The sooner you do that, the sooner you may find you can be really surprised about what a real, honest relationship that isn't based on the shallow aspects of age and appearance can mean.

It's hard to hear, but the sooner you start thinking in that direction (and finding a therapist who is willing to go there with you), the sooner you can get past the depression, medications, and general unhappiness.

4. merlin

merlin Guest

Hi Luthan & Chip,

Thanks for the advice and I do pay attention to what you have to say and as I said, will bring this up to my therapist, so if I seem to just be making excuses and not listening, my apologies. Also, just to be clear, I do form good relationships with men of my age (in fact, with men of all ages) both professionally and socially. Where the problem indeed starts is whether I see myself in a deeper more intimate relationship with men of my age. You both say, you have to accept that nobody is perfect and accept people's flaws and go from there; I need to form an emotional bond, experience all the good things of this person's personality etc. And yes, I see that and I'm willing to have such a bond (in fact, to some extent I have that with a colleague who is gay and even a bit older than me), but, I don't see myself (to put it blunt) having sex with a person if they don't fit the profile I indicated in a previous message. You will say, therapy might change my turn ons, and who knows that may be possible (again, I seriously doubt that as the therapist also indicated in his reply to the first letter writer). I should also say that I'm not looking for the 'perfect' person, just a person who fits my needs. The person I have a major crush on now may not be perfect for other people, but he is for me (except he is not gay :-(. And, I do see many guys (I admit, younger ones) who fit my profile, so I'm not looking for a needle in a haystack or an illusion. Also, my needs are not just based on criteria as cuteness or age. In fact, if there is no intellectual connection in the first place, age nor cuteness will be that relevant.
    Luthan, you said if I'm willing to compromise. Yes, and I did over the years. As I mentioned, I used to be very strict about body hair (and this is just an example). Now, I find myself far more tolerant for guys who have many features I like but some chest hair or even a goatee. Ten years ago, that would have been a major put off (shallow? perhaps). Now, if other features are there, it doesn't bother me. So, I have been testing and expanding my boundaries (back hair and overweight is where I draw the line, sorry ;-). Also, if a guy is 40 and fits my profile (give or take!), I'm sure I will be tempted to explore this further. I'm just saying, except for one person who was 35+ (not 40 yet I think), I never met such a person in my life. Maybe I'll meet him tomorrow, and I'm happy to see where that would go if there is mutual interest.
    Finally, I realize that in the end, I could be fooling myself, and my obsession (if you like) with certain types of men (for intimate relationships, not for general bonding!) is too strict and needs work (with professional help). As I said, I will discuss this with my therapist, I am willing to give this a try (not sure how though) when I see someone who at least initially seems an interesting person of my age but what would really help me if someone in the EC community has experienced a similar issue (falling for typically younger men) and somehow (with or without therapy) found himself being able to relate (and get intimate) with a man or men of his own age and why he thinks he was able to get to that point. If you would be willing to share that story, I would be most grateful.

Just a final comment if I may. It seems that when you (Luthan and Chip) argue that an honest relationship should not be based on shallow aspects of age and appearance, you do make the strong assumption that all young men who develop a relationship with older men can only do this because of unhealthy motives (looking for financial or emotional support). Why don't you assume that some young men (not many presumably) actually have that commitment to older men exactly because they do not care about appearance or age, but for all the other aspects in older men you both seem to emphasize as being more important. I'm not using this as a justification for me, just a question about the consistency of the reasoning and the automaticity of assuming that a relationship with a large age-difference is by definition unhealthy. Unhealthy by whose standards?

5. Pat

Pat

I would say use your advantages as an older man. Confidence. Maturity. Wisdom. Those things will be attractive to someone who's into older men. Don't expect it to be easy on the dating sites. A lot of the guys who want the older men there are also wanting you to take care of them. And that's up to you, but I shall take care of no one haha. I went to high school with a boy who prefers older men and while I haven't met the guys he likes, they seem like all of the things I mentioned above. I think the guy is around your age and he's 22. So there ya go. There's someone for everyone. If you're just looking for a hook up, that's going to show early on and I would say that's a little...strange. Not creepy. But I always have to ask older men what the hell they think we'll have in common. I don't date over 25 because I feel like guys older than that should have something going for themselves and if they do, I don't want to be the one trying to get to that point. And as far as maturity, you're just on two different worlds. So I'd encourage you to make sure you want to hang around some 18, 20, 25 year old kid. And be honest with yourself about your motives because it's not going to be an easy relationship to have. Hope I helped and good luck!

6. merlin

merlin Guest

Thanks Pat for your input on this. I like the "there's someone for everyone" and no worries, I'm not looking for a hook up. Maturity is important and the young guys I've been interacting with (not sexually) all have that intellectual and mature personality I go for. That is first and foremost. If they have the other features I like that turn me on and show a real interest in me as a person, there is potential. Do I expect such a relationship to be easy? Hell no. Do I expect a relationship with a men of my age easy? No, because people of my age are also very much fixed in their ways and find it harder to compromise. In the end, I strongly belief if two people share interests, feelings and attraction with a strong compatibility in personality, age is not so relevant anymore. So, yes, your input definitely helped and in your case, I have no question about your maturity ;-) (unlike some guys I know of my age)

7. Pat

Pat

Thanks. I have no idea what happened to the post, don't see it lol but glad you did haha.

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry, but the therapist is flat-out wrong. To be fair, he does qualify it with "in my experience", so perhaps it's either a self-fulfilling prophecy (he tells his clients they can't change, so they don't), or he doesn't have the necessary skill to help someone do the necessary self-reflection.

Except that, if you're looking for someone emotionally healthy, who is into someone twice their age you're looking for more than a needle in a haystack. You're looking for a unicorn.

The problem with that argument is, the aspects most likely to make a relationship work -- common interests, similar stages of life, an emotionally and otherwise balanced relationship -- are pretty much inherently impossible in people with significant age differences. Someone who is getting close to retirement is going to have completely different goals, experiences, interests, and focus than someone graduating college. Those are fundamental barriers that are near impossible to overcome. So what you're left with is someone who doesn't care about some of the most basic building blocks of a healthy relationship... which means, it's someone essentially incapable of sustaining a healthy relationship, because either they're opportunistic or they're so deep in shame that they don't think they are worthy of anything better.

The standards that look at emotional health, balance, and the other factors that make for a healthy relationship. Yes, there are certainly relationships that are wildly dysfunctional that still function in a fucked-up way, and there are lots of people in those relationships. But they aren't healthy for either party. If that's what you want... go for it. But you won't end up any happier than you were with your wife.

9. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

How long are you prepared to wait? You're not going to get any younger, will you still be 70 years old waiting to find a 25 year old who meets your stringent criteria?

I can't imagine how difficult it must be to have gone your whole life in the closet and then at 53 finally come out to yourself and want to get into the gayme... But it sounds like you have unreasonably high standards over age and physical characteristics that you demand in a potential mate...and you're going to keep waiting in vain.

Meanwhile...

You aren't even willing to post your own image on a dating site trying to meet potential romantic mates. If you are not even confident in yourself enough to post your photo on a dating profile, then how will you expect other people to find you attractive?

As Ru Paul says, 'if you don't love yourself, how in the hell you gonna love somebody else?' :eusa_naug

You put so much emphasis on your own expectations of physical beauty before being willing to date someone, but you expect others to be interested in you without even seeing a picture?

If you want to get people interested in you on a dating site, you've going to have to upload a picture, people aren't interested in talking to a blank profile. If someone is willing to date you, they're going to have to see you in person eventually anyway.

Anyway, what the others are saying is right.

Younger guys in the age bracket you say you want to date in (18-30) are immature, flaky, hedonistic, primarily interested in just having fun. Mostly shallow and image-conscious. Many are interested only in hookups, or open relationships, or at most a similar-aged boyfriend to stay active in the party scene with. They're just getting out into the world and have much of life to explore. A 25-year-old is not going to be interested in settling down the way a 53-year-old would want to. As someone who wants a serious long-term relationship, I sometimes wish I were attracted to older men, because it would seemingly make things easier.

But ultimately, those who seek out older guys are mainly looking to fill an emotional void in their life and seek a paternal figure to take care of them, either financially or emotionally (or both). In a relationship when there is an age gap of more than 20 years, the expectation would always be there that the 'daddy' would take care of his boy.

And think about it, large age gaps are really not fair to either partner. It's not fair to the younger person to likely have to waste his own youth away taking care of an older person who gets sick and can't walk and fades away, instead of doing normal young people things and experiencing life with his peers...and then ultimately the younger person has nobody around for him as he gets older.

Which is why in most of these kinds of relationships, the younger person relentlessly cheats on the older person and just uses him for his money, so it's not fair to the older person either.

So I think, you need to open your mind to finding someone within your own age bracket, who has shared life experiences and is in a similar position in life so the two of you could relate to each other.

10. Exstatic

This is a very good and interesting thread. I think that this is a common struggle for people who might have realized in their latter years who they really are (btw, i'm not in the 30's - 50's group, however, i might see myself in this kind of situation a few decades from now).

1) It is not impossible to have a good relationship... it's just less probable to find the right one. It is true that age doesn't define true love; however, always have "a grain of salt"
    2) Like what someone posted earlier, just lower your expectations. Most of the time, we expect what we want but when it turns out, it isn't what we want, we end up disappointed/frustrated that leads to depression.

I think that your taking a good babystep in finding the right person by asking and seeking different advice. Different people has different opinion, experience and view. In the end, its up to you what advice you should take.

About your therapy session, I just feel that you may want to also explore another therapist as I feel that your current therapist might be objective and therapeutic but less realistic. Also, I agree in one post if you feel already comfortable in coming out in the society, then joining a support group in your community shall be an excellent therapy.

I hope that this makes sense (or is even helpful), much of what i wrote has also been said in the earlier thread (redundant, lol!) just always remember that your not the only one who is having this struggle.

11. merlin

merlin Guest

Thanks everyone. I get the message loud and clear. Many of the things you bring forward have been going through my head and my rationale part agrees with many of these points. My emotional part is still lagging though. Problem is that if I want to talk 50+ stuff (which in general I don't) I have my wife who is very good at that and she also looks better than 98% of 50+ men I've seen and with her I can be intimate, not with 50+ men (and sorry, Chip I still don't share your confidence in therapy re this issue unless you can show me the scientific studies that provide the evidence; haven't found them yet). So, I guess what I'm saying is that if all gay young men who want to date someone of my age are either devious or mentally disturbed (for the moment assuming this is an actual fact), and I would need to be reconditioned by a therapist to prefer men of my age (for the moment assuming that would actually work), I rather go back into my closet and stay married (if my wife still wants me). Re my stringent criteria, as I indicated they are not really that stringent as I see young men fitting those criteria (which are only partly based on appearance btw) every single day and no doubt, there may be several 30+ persons fitting those as well (no problem). A 50+ person however, not so likely, especially when it comes to being overweight and too much hair in the wrong places. That's not a criticism, just a simple fact of life. Would I be willing to wait for a person that touches the right cords with me? You bet. Would I compromise on some of these (for me) essential features just so I won't be lonely? Not likely. Oh, and I delisted from the dating sites, because I agree that not posting a picture is not fair to others.
    Before you all start denouncing me as a messed up hard-nosed idiot, let me reiterate I'm willing to try things like talking to my therapist about these issues and also to visit support groups of gay men (probably including some of my age). I do understand your objections and comments, just not too sure about the "solutions".

12. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    That description could easily fit an older guy as it could a younger guy though.

Just keep an open mind regardless of age.

[/COLOR]Hi KyleD,

I'm looking for many qualities in a man. He has to be intelligent, a sense of humour, open minded and liberal, non-religious, slim, no to limited amount of body hair (and certainly not at his back), young in mind and hart, and not too muscular or too small (under 1.70 m). I know I'm probably very picky and someone might say, beggars are no choosers, but you know what, I am prepared to wait for someone like that and I've seen a few that fit most of this profile (including my big crush) but they all tend to be straight (which is interesting, because somebody (or was it in a song) once said "why are all the cute boys gay?").[/QUOTE]

13. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Merlin,

I read from that you are looking to have fun and not stimulating or intellectual conversation in general. Like one of those easy reading vacation books that don't make you think. In the hetero world the vivacious, dumb blonde?

I also think you may have a totally different understanding of 50+ conversation than I do. What is 50+ conversation in your mind?

I only ask as you state you want an intelligent guy but you don't want 50+ conversation (usually intelligent in my circles)), which means to me you want "Jersey Shore" interaction (never watched it just guessing)? :wink:

Instead of describing the man what personal and emotional needs are you looking to fill?

By the way... What happens in 15-20 years when you are 70+ and your your partner is top of game in his 40's? You are thinking open relationship maybe?

#33 skiff, Jul 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  14. merlin

merlin Guest

Hi Skiff,

I'm afraid you misinterpreted my words. Let me try to be clear(er). I want and have intellectual conversations all the time (its also part of my job) with men and women of all ages. That is not the issue. When I mention 50+ stuff I was picking up on Chip's argument that younger and older men (gay or not) have a different focus in life. So, for older men of my age, that focus is often on retirement, pension plans, stocks, health issues etc. Those topics don't interest me that much. Other topics (science, history, religion, art etc.) that do interest me I can discuss with many people who indeed need to have some educational background. I'm not looking for "Jersey Shore" (whatever that is, I don't watch tv). In my experience, I can have those intelligent and deep conversations with younger and older men. In fact, many of the young men I interact with have a wide range of interests, good insights, and are not of the kind that is portrayed in some of the posts under this section. This experience includes straight and gay young men. So, if you ask, can I develop an intellectual and emotional relationship with older men? Yes, I can and do and the same with young(er) men. Now, when you ask, can you develop a sexual relationship with older men? No, I don't unless they have the features that turn me on (see earlier posts) and perhaps such older men do exist, I'm just (keep) saying, I never met them in my entire life so far (and I do try to be open-minded believe it or not). The likelihood of finding the features that turn me on is greater (by far) in younger men. Now, is that sick? Perhaps. Does that need mental reprogramming. Maybe, but again, I don't share the optimism that Chip and others seem to have in this respect (and again, nor do I see/find the evidence for that so far). If I find a younger man who is interested in building a relationship with me but perhaps based on "daddy" issues, I rather prefer helping that young man along in his life and career than having a relationship with an older man who eventually needs a partner who becomes more like a nurse to help with all the health issue that will develop sooner or later. Chip talks about healthy and balanced relationships. I think that is a noble but somewhat quasi-therapeutic utopia in a strict sense (hence the fact that 2/3 of hetero relationships end up in divorce and I don't know how many relationships between gay men and/or women, including the ones who are of the same age). People are people and bring their own interests and personality to a relationship. That is a misbalance to begin with and that's why love (and lust?) needs to be there to overcome the initial problems and provide some bonding to hopefully find a way to compromise (another misbalance) and deal with the incompatibilities and strengthen the compatibilities. Some succeed, many fail as the statistics show and if anyone has statistics on how many relationships that were bound to fail and went into therapy and succeeded to last for at least 5 years afterwards, I'd be very interested.
    Back to the issue at hand. A relationship between a younger and older person obviously has many more incompatibilities (I'm not dumb, I realize that) but there are also compatibilities that can be explored (and to which I'm attracted). If that relationship is only based on money (gold diggers), no it won't last (same goes for old men and young girls). If a young person needs an older person to find some balance in his life, I don't see harm in that and the older person may be able to help (perhaps better than a therapist) based on his experience and other aspects that do come with age (the old Greeks even had this as a model in their society, but no please, let's not go there). Yes, the older person may die and leave the younger person alone, but is that really worse than when two older persons are together and one dies and the other one is left behind? The younger person likely still has a life ahead and many opportunities to find a new partner, the older one not so much. OK, I stop here because most of you probably don't agree and that's fine. We can differ in opinion in this matter. I just wish there was more input from EC members who have direct experience (positive and/or negative) in living in a relationship with a big age difference.

15. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi Merlin,

I have no issue with your argument as presented.

You have thought deeply about this and it is obvious it goes way beyond "young guys are hot".

I agree with you. Young old relationships can and do follow a spectrum of interaction. Some components may be balanced, other aspects need fulfilling and all contigent on unique aspects of the couple.

Would I absolutely rule out the possibility in my life, no, but the odds are dramatically stacked against it.

Like you I am not interested in pension plans. Furthest thing from my mind as I am starting over later in life. Similarly I too enjoy the physical aspects you describe but a number of people/races exhibit those qualities all through life.

So your options may be much broader than you realize.

I cannot fault your logic though. You are not a sugar daddy seeking younger gold digger male for sex. :slight_smile:

16. merlin

merlin Guest

Thank you, Skiff. I feel relieved I was able to clarify myself better this time and your support is encouraging. I haven't given up yet, no way :slight_smile:

17. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey,

Well... Until I lose this "married, stress fat", which I repeatedly hear is kryptonite on the gay "dating scene I will have to be content with gay friends.

It is only 40lbs but in gaydom may as well be a 1,000lbs.

Older guys are not forgiving over that. :wink:

Had offers but I am not compromising life long values for sex.

#37 skiff, Jul 30, 2013
  18. merlin

merlin Guest

Yes, in some ways the gay dating scene can be quite harsh. My problem is that I have not enough weight, so I look too skinny for some who prefer a more muscular appearance. But, I'll work on that ;-)

19. DanD

Seriously interesting thread. I feel kinda in Merlin's shoes, but a little younger.
    I remember falling for this boy in school when we were both around 12. As time has passed, I still prefer younger 18-25 ish guys, but I do think that personality means a lot. I hate to be shallow, but I see a lot of guys who just don't look after themselves, and the ones who do always end up straight - it's not easy.
    I just wish I had the confidence to go out and meet other gay guys. I', 5' 4" and 9 stone (126 lb) but fairly hairy.
    It's said that you need to 'love yourself' before others will, so I have a plan which has already lasted over a week: I make my own juice drinks consisting of a dozen fruits, and I drink 1.5 litres of that each day. I also have lots of vegetables with either fish or lean chicken (no breadcrumbs). Then work on press ups and exercises for abs, and once I'm happy that I'm looking good, then I'll start to shave every other day (or so). Hopefully then I'll feel better about myself and can go and find someone, but my mind still says it'll never happen.

20. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Add dark leafy greens to that fruit smoothie to round it out.

What do you mean by "shave"? Manscaping or beard?

I am not a hairy guy but I found what I do have grows much too fast for manscaping. Became a terrible chore or terrible stubble.

Does make you look younger but can be a pain based on how fast your hair grows.

#40 skiff, Jul 30, 2013