1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you worry about going to hell for being GLBT?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dwelefan, May 19, 2015.

1. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, I don't believe in a hell nor in a heaven. =)

2. tscott

I'm Episcopalian and according to my church's teachings I've nothing to worry about. As a matter of fact I was on a religious retreat that helped me accept that I was gay, ironically I went on this retreat to become closer to my ex, because it proved to be such a blessing for her. Funny how things work out. No, I have no issues with damnation. God has bigger fish to fry like homophobia masquerading as Christian teaching...I recall the hypocrites being referred to as white-washed tombs. just saying...

3. guitar

There are over 1/2 a billion gay people around the world. If God created us and being gay is a sin, how can the all powerful have this kind of quality control problem?

4. ForeverLost

I'm not worried about after my death. I just want to lead a happy life in Earth first.

5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No.

#25 Pret Allez, May 20, 2015
    Last edited: May 20, 2015
  6. Justinian20

Well, I am not religious at all and see most religions as philosophical rather than a complete and utter literally real book about real events. I am an atheist so I believe in science and I never feared going to hell, as I don't really believe in any of that.

7. TheStormInside

Nope. My father told me I was going to hell for not wanting to be Confirmed when I was 16, so I suppose I'm already damned anyway. :lol:

Truthfully though, it was in part the church's views on homosexuality that turned me away from religion in the first place, even though I didn't realize I myself was gay at that time.

I'd recommend you watch For the Bible Tells Me So for some insights into the passages Christians commonly pull out of context to use against gay people. Most of them have other interpretations, or just simply aren't relevant to our modern society. It could help you change your perspective a bit.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bU_voCz_po

8. Gymskirtboy

Gymskirtboy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    There is no god. its just mind control for the weak.

9. InsertUserHere

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There's a point where you have to wonder if an almighty being cares at all who you choose to love and have sex with. And if this being does care that much, do you really want to live in a kingdom like that anyway?

10. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No I don't and in all honestly i probably would be a atheist if i thought a reasonable God would send me to hell for something i did not choose to be but I do believe and will continue in faith until I die.

11. candyjiru

I was raised to believe that the only sin that cannot be forgiven is cursing the Holy Spirit (aka not accepting Christ as Lord), so I'm not worried about it~ it is seen as a sin and that's always a bad thing, but at the same time, everyone has their vice, so I wouldn't stress yourself too much about it. Many denominations have even stopped considering it a sin ^.^ *hugs*

12. Sienrar

Nah, I'm an atheist.

13. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people
    I see your point.
    Gays will get in.
    atheists get carded at the door.
    Dress for warm weather and dont let them cremate your remains. no need to jump start enternity.

J/K... dont go off on me. having fun here,, messing with you,,

seriously though....:roflmao:

14. Images and Words

No. I don't believe in hell. I just think everyone should be great to each-other!

15. Gandee

Gandee Guest

Hell doesn't exist? :frowning2:
    But they promised I would be King there!

16. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I've heard the "it's a test" argument, for why God would allow somebody to be gay, it's their alcoholism/envy/pride/gluttony, etc, to deal with. You never really get over those things, but you 'give them up to serve God'. This came from somebody in a church I attended years ago, and despite it seeming very grabbing-at-straws, it's one of the better explanations I've heard.

Then there's the story of Job, how God allowed Job to be used, to demonstrate and prove a point to Satan...

Sunday school used to teach us kids, that the story of Job was about love and patience. To me, I was a little horrified, because in any other context, that situation would be criticized and that person labeled a psychopath. I mean, imagine if a parent allowed their child to go through what Job did, how many would say that's okay?

As for do I worry about going to Hell. Well, the way I've heard Heaven described, it's like a large church service that you worship God 24/7, without a break and nothing else. That sounds like a form of slavery, and a tad narcissistic. Hell seems to have a little diversity at least... and who is to say, where we are now, isn't Hell? Hm...

I like to think God, or whatever deity is out there, if they really want me in their ranks, they'll approach me in a way that makes me say, "Ooooooh, okay. That makes sense." In fact, this would solve a lot of problems for much of the world... but I digress...

17. Psaurus918

As an atheist, NO.

18. Weregild

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Yes, a little. I wasn't raised in the church but I've been always subconsciously inclined to believe in God, since my mom's a Christian. And when I was born my first gift was a Bible for kids, with which I learned how to read and write.

19. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are highly debatable verses about homosexual acts, but there are no verses about hell.

Do I worry about it? Not a bit. If I live in a world with a vengeful, petty God, as opposed to the spiritual love-based force I believe I know, then I'm fucked no matter what I do, so why worry? An addition to other personal reasons, I believe people create their own hells over LGBT issues...I've declined to engage in this with my sexuality (I create my own hells in other ways *smile*), so I'm ok there. I feel for those, however, who do create a hell around this area, as it's such a complex and integral part of who we are.

20. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Nah, I don't really believe in Hell.