1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you want any children?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by quietisviolent, Dec 12, 2015.

1. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mother has come to terms with the fact that she'll more than likely never have grandchildren. My sister has never stated outright that she doesn't children, but she's 30 in less than a year and shows no signs at all of settling down, and much like myself she's kind of selfish. One reason amongst many for me not wanting kids is that I prefer to put myself first and would find it annoying always putting someone else first and constantly catering to their needs while neglecting what I want..

I guess there's time for both of us to change our minds, but it seems very unlikely. My sister is a lot closer to having kids than I am though, given she has a boyfriend, and can have children the old fashioned way.

#61 imnotreallysure, Dec 13, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
  2. Alais

In general, I have never wanted children, and I don't think this will change. There is about 5% room for movement but I can't see that changing. Although I do dread finding a partner who really wanted them. I always liked talking to adults, even as a child, and I just don't really find children interesting.

Regarding having a biological child (with me being pregnant): 100% no. I have this huge phobia of pregnancy, and I would find it triggering on many levels. It's actually one of those scenarios I have nightmares about. I find these 'a woman is made to be a mother' statements to be very disconcerting (as well as being horribly cis-focussed), especially given that I question my gender identity and connection to the word 'woman' altogether.

Regarding adoption/surrogacy: I still don't have a desire to have a child, and don't like children. However, my 5% wiggle room might include fostering some older kids perhaps; I would in some ways like to help teenagers (who perhaps have problems as I did at that age), although in reality I'm not sure I would want that to be in my own home.

#62 Alais, Dec 13, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
  3. angelinah

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yes. I've always had a tiny family and I hate it. I'd love to have a huge family, with at least 4-5 children.

4. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Probably not at all, but I am 1000% sure I will never have children that are biologically mine. There's too much stuff in my genes that I don't want to pass on.

5. mmmelody

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm pretty sure I'll end up with children. My sibling doesn't want them and I could never see him being a parent, but he'd make a great crazy aunt/uncle. (He is genderqueer so I don't know what he'd want my kids to call him, but that would be up to him when the time comes.)

So, I figure if I have a kid, then that kid will A) provide a grandchild for my parents and B) be able to take care of my sibling, myself, and my spouse when we all get old. That's one of the main things I considered - at first I didn't want a kid but then I thought about the fact that we'll need caretakers eventually too. (Depressing but true.)

I would rather adopt, though. For one thing, pregnancy sounds AWFUL. For another, newborns seem like the worst creatures to deal with, ever, so I'd like to adopt a child who is at least 3 years old. Seriously, newborns look like potatoes! What even are they??? Give me a human, not an alien that can only scream and lie limp in my arms, please.

However, kids will be VERY far in the future for me. I want to be firmly settled into a secure marriage and financial situation before I start a family. But I will definitely get a dog as soon as I'm out of college!

6. Minori

I go through phases where I want and desire children, even watch birth videos and don't squirm. Then I go through phases where I think Kids are just time and money and stress.
    So in the end, who knows what I'll decide for the future. Right now I'm focusing on my career and at least getting that going before settling

7. radicalmuffins

Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes. In the future. When I can support them.

8. dontjudgeme

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am not really sure yet. It may be fun to have kids but its also a lot more responsibility.

#68 dontjudgeme, Dec 14, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  9. Falklands Sheep

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd really like to settle down at one point and have a kid. Just one kid, one that I can spoil the Scheiße out of, and ensure he or she has the best possible upbringing and education.

10. rudysteiner

I'd love kids.

A girl first, then a boy, but I'd like to own dogs before them so they grow up with dogs.

11. RainOnVII

No, as I'm not sure if I'm cut out to take care of one. Kids need a lot of care, and I can't guarantee that they'll get it with me.

12. crazydiamond

I was always so sure I'd have kids. Especially when I used to be with men. But after taking care of my nephew for almost 3 years when my sister abandoned him (she eventually stepped up), I was unsure I wanted kids anymore. But to be fair, he was a difficult child. My girlfriend really wants kids and I told her straight up that I was unsure and needed to know if that was a dealbreaker. She said that it wasn't. I might still change my mind. If not, we can always be animal parents.

13. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    On second thought, maybe I could adopt some of the ones that have been on Master Chef, Jr.

This way, they could both cook for me (and better than me), as well as do the dishes.

#73 HuskyPup, Dec 14, 2015
  14. bidemi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I doubt I'll have any biological child of mine.But I just love the idea of adopting.

15. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well i say to each their own. for me, i have my son almost grown and he's a fine young man. i am one proud parent, both mom and dad.

16. crazydiamond

If I had a child I think I would prefer to adopt as well. And I don't think it's selfish to not have children. I think it's better to be honest with yourself whether or not you can handle putting someone else first for the rest of your life. Some people have kids anyway knowing it's not what they really want, and the child usually suffers for it.

17. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I do not want children and that would be a deal breaker for me in a relationship. I don't want to ruin someone's dreams of being a parent but I won't ruin my life for a child.

#77 Andrew99, Dec 14, 2015
  18. MetalRice

Yeah, I want a bundle of them.

19. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not anymore.
    When I was younger I was hoping they'd find a cure for my mental illness, but they never did. I would have to stop all my meds before getting pregnant. Of course, I could also adopt but being that I like being single and being a bit selfish, I doubt I will. I don't get along with kids. They don't like, the feeling is mutual.

20. warholwendy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes I do, I want to start a family eventually.