1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you regret divorcing and/or coming out?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by JToivonen, May 30, 2019.

1. JToivonen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for responding, @Rade !

May I ask you a question?

You said divorcing was the best thing you ever did...but how did it feel before the divorce? I mean...did you second-guess a lot? Were you uncertain that was the right step to take?

Gayhusband likes this.
  2. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My wife is a loving and wonderful woman. We had no fights and she and I had a great relationship. I never cheated on her and tried to be a goid husband. Yet I was gay in my heart of hearts and not bisexual. There was nothing she did could do to compensate for that. She wanted me to be happy. We are having a amicable separation because we want to remain friends (the divorce will happen next year and it will be uncontested). She is the mother of my son and we will be forever joined together as parents and perhaps, one day, as grandparents. I wish everyone could have such a smooth, drama-free ending of their marriage. *smile*

Bicchi, jsm, Gayhusband and 2 others like this.
  3. JToivonen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for answering!

My wife is lovely as well, but she just won't let me go...she says I'm abandoning her... that's tough.

4. JToivonen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh, quick question:

Do you guys feel that your career and/or academic life improved after coming out?

I'm asking it just because I feel that I'm going nowhere both at work and at my academic career. So I wonder if I'm the only one.

5. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am a high school social studies teacher, a historic interpreter at a museum and a priest. I had to give up the priesthood when I came out. That was a major sacrifice, but it was necessary in order for me to live an authentic life.

JToivonen likes this.
  6. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My wife did wish that I came out earlier but didn't want to stay married when she realized that I was gay.

JToivonen likes this.
  7. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would say it affected it but, at least from the outside, it may have looked like the reverse of what you are looking for. I was very driven as a young person and I think a lot of it was compensating for what I perceived as inner failings that had to do with my sexuality. Once I came out and was really comfortable and at peace I found that I'm just not very career minded. I mean I would prefer to do something well, rather than something poorly--and I really am grateful that my career funds my personal life rather handily--but I have virtually no ambition and derive virtually none of my identity from my career. Oops...

JToivonen likes this.
  8. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I had the same experience as OGS. I was over the top driven when I was young. Part of that was that I could hide out in academics and career. Later, after I was married, I hid out in extreme sports. You can't think about your sexuality much when you are gripping the side of a rock face.

Since, I came out, I am less driven and OK to be with my thoughts.

We are all different. You could be less anxious with being true to yourself and, depending on your personality, it could help you.

JToivonen likes this.
  9. Rade

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello
    We aren't divorced but separated, we will divorce and I'm sure it won't be easy. I've done my grieving for my marriage with my counselor. My ex wife didn't grieve but jumped into bed with another man. Though she was crying down the phone last week so I think she has started the grieving. Us both letting go now should make the divorce easier. We are working at a friendship of some sort. We have been at war for seven months but it's stopped now and we have to consider our children.

JToivonen likes this.
  10. Rade

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I am such a different person for the better. My confidence at work has increased and I have even more responsibility. I think having support from my straight friends at work has helped enormously. I've received no hate for being gay. Yes there is a guy who only speaks to me if he has too but he may be struggling with his sexuality! I'm pushing forward all the time.

I'm sure things will improve for you. Have you seen a counselor? That really helped me.
    Jon x

JToivonen likes this.
  11. JToivonen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I react in a different manner both at work and at my studies...a few years ago, while I was still in the denial phase, and I kind of still could keep my homosexuality under control, I was way more career-academic driven. I was considered to be both an excellent employee and student.

But the anguish about not being true to myself has massively increased over the last couple of years...it's become an unbearable burden, so I started to drown, to be lost inside myself. I'm not productive anymore, because all I can think about is how disgraceful I am, how much I wish things could be different and how I want to come out. It's incredibly hard for me to focus on anything other than my pain. That's why I asked that question.

12. JToivonen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    But being here, and being able not only to tell my story, but also to get to know yours, has been hugely helpful, and seeing that many of you survived the coming out process encourages me to have the strength to go down the same path and find eventually happiness and peace of mind by being who I really am.

I have, boh a psychologist and also a psychiatrist, who said that I'm suffering from depression and prescribed some pills. I've been seing them since last March and it's also being wonderful to me. They helped me realise that I can't "pray the gay away" (even though I already knew that, but it's reassuring when it comes from a professional you trust) and that being gay is ok. That was basically when I started to feel proud about myself not being straight for the first time in my life.

Nickw likes this.
  13. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My job has been a blessing in some ways. I have worked for a very LGBT-friendly company and had an absolutely wonderful boss for nearly a dozen years, who was openly gay and very much accepted as such by everyone in the company. Since my work "family" was very much separate from the rest of my life, they were the first people I told and were my "dry run" for siblings, wife and children. I had works myself to a comfortable management role in order to pay the bills, but I never had any kind of career foal and still don't know "what I want to be when I grow up". Since I came out, I have found my sense of motivation slipping because I have become more and more aware that my job isn't something I have a passion for, and I am really just trying to stay engaged for a few more years till some of the bills are paid off and I can downsize into something I like better. Whenever I figure out what that may be. My coming out was all triggered by a period of great change in my life--I lost my father after two decades of his slowly declining health; I turned 50 and had a health crisis of my own; my company was going through a period of major change; my beloved boss nearly died of cancer and retired; and my marriage had reached critical mass. All that change had its effect on my work and I have switched positions several times since. I think I have found something suitable that I can do for another 5 or 10 years, but who knows. I find I am more likely to risk a change, but also more likely to lose patience with things I find pointless and annoying.

I do remain very comfortably out at work, meaning that if our relationship is work-only you will know basically nothing about me, but if you tend to sit and chat on a personal level, you will know I'm gay within a short time, because my arsenal of "St. Olaf stories" (Golden Girls reference) contains references to my kids, my ex, my partner, you name it, and they are all pretty seamlessly connected.

Regarding the marriage, divorce and second-guessing it and such, I keep realizing more and more that in our case, it was the right thing to do and will ultimately be best for all of us. I have stopped being the intermediary between my ex and the girls, and they have been able to develop a much more realistic relationship with their mother, and will be able to decide on their own how to relate to her. And since she and I are no longer a package deal, I feel like their problems with her will no longer pose a threat to my relationship with them, and vice versa. I've wondered why I put up with her crap as long as I did, but then I look at the kids and realize it was so they would have a sane parent in residence long enough that they were close to adulthood. She has talked about feeling that she "lost her best friend", but that's mostly drama, since my role in her life was much closer to a servant. I am fond and somewhat protective of her because I know her quirks, and how unaware and unbelieving and incredulous and devastated she would be if she were faced with her real self. The best thing I can do for her is to accept her as she is, and there's no way I could do that while living with her.

Nickw and JToivonen like this.
  14. JToivonen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just a quick update:

I'm not saying that I'll do it for sure, but I might tell my wife today that I want to leave and live my life as a gay man. I'm not sure yet if I'll have the guts to do this today, but I'm feeling increasingly compelled to do so.

But it may happen as well that nothing will happen today... it's a lot of pressure to bear...anyhow, I just want to share it with you guys.

Regardless, please wish me luck!

15. Rade

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you exercise or have hobbies. I get low mood and find a weights work out, a run or a fast walk really helps my mental health.

JToivonen and Choirboy like this.
  16. Rade

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Look, tell her when your ready. Have you money to survive if you need to stay in a hotel or some place if it didn't go well? I put money aside for a number of months and planned ahead.

JToivonen and Choirboy like this.
  17. Contented

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is indeed a tough decision. Many of us have made the exact same one and pretty sure most would tell you it ain’t easy. That being said the end result was worth the anguish and discomfort. There is no question it won’t be easy for both you as both your lives will drastically change. However that change will allow you both to eventually find the life you desire. From my experience it is hard if not impossible to put gay back in the bottle once you’ve uncorked it so to speak. Good luck.

JToivonen likes this.
  18. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi @JToivonen -- here's wishing you luck! Whenever you talk with your wife will be the perfect time. It definitely takes courage and determination. It's also OK if you decide you're not ready. Good luck, man! Keep posting!

JToivonen likes this.
  19. JToivonen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you all for the support.

I couldn't tell her that I want to break free yet. I'm sorry...I chickened out. I'm so disappointed in myself...it feels like I can grasp a little relief by telling her and being free to be who I am, but at the last moment I just panick and don't say a word. I feel such a coward...

She senses that there's something going on, but I guess she's too scared to ask me what it is (or, when she does, she asks me in moments where I won't be able to talk). Sometime it feels it'd be easier for me if she takes the truth out of me by asking questions (it has happened before). I just hate myself right now.

SevnButton and Nic2552 like this.
  20. JToivonen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I do have some hobbies. I love exercising (I lift weights five days a week and I go jogging whenever I can), I love sports (both as a player and as an expectator). I also like reading and watching action movies. And I just love cars and airplanes. I've been trying to focus on those things when my life gets too rough.