1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do You Feel Pride Parades Hurt Us?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JStevens96, Apr 26, 2014.

1. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not saying that these parades are inherently bad, or that we should stop having them altogether. I can't control what others do. As cringe-worthy as Pride is, it's not my place to go around and start banning all pride parades.

I just dislike the image that they have the potential to give us. Ever since the influx of Bigotry (TM) into the religious right, people in the South have had it pretty hard! It would be impossible for many of them to come out if we can't get the bigots out of LGBT issues (this should really be nonpartisan). For people in those situations, shouldn't we try to get "cis-hets" (as Aussie792 would put it) to listen and understand, instead of alienating them? People can do what they want, but there's a point where things start to get silly.

I went to San Francisco Pride once. Things were very sexual there. YMMV, though. I acknowledge that there are definitely "family-friendly" parts of these parades, but you're not going to get me to like them until they have a more mature atmosphere (mature as in "professional", not "XXX hentai"). This community is still young. Give it time. Maybe we can have a Pride that can be proud of our history and also informative to outsiders. And, you know, less half-naked people running around. Please. :confused:

Maybe we can compromise? In-fighting is already a huge problem in our community; we don't need to contribute to that.

#141 An Gentleman, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  2. chrisyboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ok I'm the guy you will hate because as a gay guy I HATE PRIDE. Its my worst nightmare brought to life. It really is so embarrassing I cannot express it words. And possibly as I did write an original post on here somewhere the OP may be referring to me..

I don't know the exact reason for my disliking, it's just everything. I'd probably offend a lot of people if I expanded so I wont.

#142 chrisyboy, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  3. Ravi-VIXX777

Hurtful? No. Misleading? Yes.

I say this because some of the straight population get this idea that all LGBT like to walk around half naked, wear exotic clothes, and go crazy with the makeup-which is not the case.

4. apostrophied

Well, that can become pretty hurtful, if you think about it. =/ These same straight people are those making decisions about gay marriage and church membership for gay people and other important issues. It's important to act seriously if we want to be taken seriously...

5. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

To the above 3, agreed, except the first one, it wasn't a nightmare to me but I definitely saw what would come off as misleading.

6. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't feel they hurt us. To be honest I think it's a great way for everyone to celebrate themselves and learn that we are just the same as everyone else.

7. apostrophied

If you feel like expanding on that, feel free to post on my wall. I won't get offended, I promise. I'm just curious to hear what you think. :slight_smile:

8. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Seconded, apostrophied.:thumbsup:

9. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

Thirded. Lol.:thumbsup:

10. all paths

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wait wait wait! Fourthed! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. Romanticdude

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been in several Prides here in Spain and unfortunately I think they hurt us somehow. I don't give a damn about half-naked dancing guys, 'exotic clothes. I don't think that's the REAL issue (IMHO). I guess that the main issue is related to the way those prides portray gay people and the way they give an immature image for gay rights. I suppose we're fighting for equality and gay rights so what's the use of portraying gay people as a bunch of spring breakers?We should give a more mature image since most of the straight people I know just attend prides because they're "cool parties" or 'summer carnivals'. I don't think that's the kind of support we're requesting to people since nobody gives a damn about gay rights when the 'party' is over due to the fact that prides are about 'partying' all the time (I harldy heard any speech or anything more 'professional and serious')

Other than this, as a gay family I don't feel portrayed at all in the Prides. It's all about promoting promiscuous life&style since prides are actually being financed by gay discos and clubs.

12. CyanChachki

I find this quite interesting, this topic. I find it interesting because I was just reading a diary entry of mine from back in 2008 saying that it was one of the best moments in my life. It was the first gay pride I had ever gone to and I've never felt more welcome in a group of people.

They did not judge me, everyone was quite nice. It was the first time I've felt accepted anywhere, feeling comfortable right off the bat. I was included in the parade, I was included during the dance and was even invited to the drag show. I remember the happiness within me. The parade never hurt me and I feel as though it doesn't hurt anyone else. It's meant for us, so that we may celebrate who we are without judgment or hatred.

13. White Knight

The ones I saw pictures on net with nearly naked (a small bikini bottom doesn't mean half naked) does more damage than good. It proves those hollier than thou straight guys ammo for their "you lack decency" pistols.

In idea yeah, taking a day and saying we are here and we are people look like you is why we have those countries with legal gay marriages, gay couple adaptations and laws against hate crimes.