1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you eat meat?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by jaska, Aug 12, 2016.

?

Meat and Animal products...Do you eat them?

1. meat eater

63.6%
  2. vegetarian

15.2%
  3. vegan

8.6%
  4. carnivore :3

12.6%
  1. Shoei Loei

Shoei Loei Guest

I eat meat as well, but I was a vegetarian for about 10 or 11 years. One day I decided I needed a change, and I had stated working out regularly and wasn't staying energized and satisfied as a vegetarian. So I said, "Fuck it," and I stared eating meat lol. I can't really stomach beef too well though...I mostly stick to chicken & turkey. I think I also went back to meat because I felt like I was missing out on opportunities to try new foods that I otherwise would have restricted myself from trying.

2. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I eat meat but I'd like to reduce my intake of it (or at least red meat), as I think it will be healthier. I try to eat organic meats because I know there are some standards that improve the lives of the animals; some of them may be laughable -- but, it's something. Wild caught fish are the best, as I know they've lived as a decent life. I do feel bad eating meat knowing how the animals are treated. However, I think people should eat a little bit of meat. Vegetarians need to be more conscious about certain vitamin levels and I think many people are not responsible about that.

3. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm the same way with beef. It makes my stomach hurt and it makes my stomach feel as there is a bruise on it. Not sure why. I love chicken, though. :icon_bigg

4. AlamoCity

I eat too much meat. A normal lunch or dinner could be half-pound of brisket and a chicken breast with some steamed vegetables. I reduced my consumption of most processed grains and products so protein is an integral part of my diet. I eat more protein than average, but I'm also a very active person and need lots of nutrients. I think my basic diet to maintain my weight is over 2,400 calories.

5. Shoei Loei

Shoei Loei Guest

I totally get it! Beef makes me feel like I have a heavy knot in my stomach :tears:
    Chicken ftw, especially barbecued :slight_smile:

6. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oooo, I love BBQ chicken sandwiches! So yummy! ^_^

7. Shoei Loei

Shoei Loei Guest

Oh yeah, I love BBQ chicken sandwiches too! I take them to work sometimes haha. :thumbsup:

8. Roxsie

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I do eat some but avoid red meat. Im on a gluten-free diet. really like seafood.

9. devotions

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am vegan for moral and ethical reasons: the welfare of animals, reducing carbon dioxide emission, things like that :3 I've been going strong for about 3 months! I used to be the biggest meat eater of the family, now the thought of eating it grosses me out tbh. Funny how that works out.

#69 devotions, Aug 16, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  10. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes I do. I went vegetarian for 2 days but it just wasn't working out.

11. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I voted "carnivore" because it sounds cooler than "meat eater" :grin:

I love meat, but more specifically red meat. I'm not too fond of fish, and chicken is okay if there's no red meat. I love milk, butter, cheese and eggs too

12. ChameleonSoul

I've been a hardcore vegan for three years now, but I was a vegetarian for several years before that. My main reason for going vegetarian was because the thought of eating something that was once a sentient being became disturbing to me, especially since there are plenty of delicious substitutes. Eventually I made the switch to being vegan when I realized that I was still causing suffering by using eggs, dairy, honey, wool, etc.

13. I'm_Danni_x

Yeah I eat meat a few times a week, I'm considering cutting down on it for health reasons.

14. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am a meat eater, but that doesn't mean I have no concern for farming and welfare standards. I refuse to eat factory farmed meat, because the animals are reared in truly appalling conditions and it impacts upon the quality of the end product. I use a butcher who buys from local farmers with full traceability and certified welfare standards. It costs more, but it's worth every penny.

15. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm a vegan. I was a vegetarian for years before going full vegan, and I initially decided to make the jump just to see if I could.

It's become a little ethical and a little political as time has gone by, but that's the nature of the thing, I guess. But I don't shame anyone for their food preferences because I'm not an asshole.

Thing is though, my not buying animal products isn't actually doing anything to reform the meat and dairy industries. I'm not naieve enough to think that the world works like that. I'm all for reform, for the animals and the workers, which is just as big of a problem that no one is addressing. Workers in the meat industry do dangerous work and are often low-income individuals, becoming desensitised and often injured on the job, sometimes severely - even killed. Factory farms deny their workers basic rights and ignore safety protocols to keep production up. That's just not right.

16. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm a vegetarian who wishes I could be a vegan; blame it on the factory farms.

17. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm a vegetarian turned Semi-Vegan (Due to recent lactose-intolerance). You can however sit next to me and eat stuff like Crab/Lobster or Octopus and I won't blink or shudder. I will never eat meat although.

18. djkanan95

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I eat meat, but the vast majority of my meat consists of chicken

19. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm a vegetarian and I love it!
    It's way healthier, and I think as more vegetarian and vegan products become more mainstream more and more people will be as well. Eating meat simply isn't healthy--but large meat corporations would like you to think otherwise.
    There's also the big fact that (the reason I originally became a vegetarian) when you eat meat you are not only eating something that was once alive, but supporting the abuse of thousands of animals. There are plenty of foods that taste just as good as meat, so I really don't see how people can justify killing someone just so they can enjoy the taste of meat.

20. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I eat meat. I think that being vegetarian is ok, I wouldn't try though. I'd probably be always hungry.

However, I confess that I don't understand vegans. I mean, if you follow a strict vegan diet without artificial supplementation, you die. A diet that requires constant use of artificial supplementation in order to well, not die, doesn't look right to me.

I have even more reservations when children are in the picture. In addition to what I outlined above, a vegan diet isn't very nutritious by volume, that is, you have to eat more in order to get the same nutrients. Therefore, it's really easy for both children and adults to become undernourished under a vegan diet, especially if they're physically active; that's obviously bad for adults, but in the case of children that's irreversible as it will stunt growth and mental development.

Say, I'm physically active, I work out five times a week but am no athlete. I'm a proponent of healthy eating and I record everything I eat in order to get maximum benefit from my workouts. I've found that, if I don't eat some kind of meat every day (in my case usually poultry or fish), it's extremely hard for me to reach both my calorie and protein goals for the day.