1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you eat meat?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by jaska, Aug 12, 2016.

?

Meat and Animal products...Do you eat them?

1. meat eater

63.6%
  2. vegetarian

15.2%
  3. vegan

8.6%
  4. carnivore :3

12.6%
  1. SpaceOddity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm vegan for health reasons but it's nice to know my food wasn't tortured. But then again at the same time I'm a hypocrite because I wear leather and wool and I don't use vegan cosmetics because I can't be bothered. But I CAN be bothered to not give myself colon cancer, high blood pressure, diabetes and heart disease. So a plant based diet works extremely well for me :slight_smile:

2. notmyfault

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm vegan. I don't see any point in killing animals when we have the option not to.

3. Formality

Wait what? Colon cancer is more common among vegans and vegetarians, not the other way around.

If you are simply vegan for health reasons then you might as well eat meat for health reasons. Meat is probably the most perfect food you could consume for health reasons since it contains all the nutrients you require to survive.

Most of the health issues you describe don't actually have anything to do with eating meat. The studies that are made on "meat vs. vegan/vegetarian" diets are often very misleading and wrongly interpreted.

If you look at the statistics you'll see that a huge chunk of americans energy intake consist of vegetable oils. In fact the majority of americans energy intake comes from vegetable fats. Because of these statistics you can't really just take any random so called "meat eater" or "carnovour" and use them for a study to find out whether meat is healthy or not, when in fact they don't even get the majority of their energy from meat. It is just so, sooo wrong and misleading.

I don't really care if people are vegan or vegetarian. It is all up to you. But I don't like when people say meat is unhealthy when that is just not true.

4. SpaceOddity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I don't know where you heard that misinformation but to educate you here is a credible resource that is hyperlinked to other credible sources Red meat and bowel cancer risk

When someone cuts meat from their diet, their blood cholesterol levels drop up to 35%, greatly increases the state of the microbiome on our bodies which effects things from obesity to digestion to diabetes.

Meat is known to specifically cause type 2 diabetes because animal-based (heme) iron, and nitrate preservatives in meat have been found to damage pancreatic cells, worsen inflammation, cause weight gain, and impair the way our insulin functions.

Hate to break it to you but meat is bad for you.

5. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Carnivore here, bread is my second favorite food group. Vegetables are what food eats. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I eat a pretty protein heavy diet, but I burn a lot of calories at work.

Also most animals consumed for food, like cows; have other things humans use vast quantities of, hide to make leather. And lets not forget about medicine like:
    Heparin - its a blood clot preventer and comes from pigs
    Lactose - found in lots of meds
    Gelatin - found in lots of meds comes from cows, pigs and fish
    Insulin - commonly made from hog pancreas

Plus a few vitamins like B12 and amino acids that can be had synthetically are still primarily found only in meat.

That and like all omnivore and carnivore animals, humans have evolved in a manor to hunt and gather. That's why both of our eyes face directly forward and not more to the sides like prey animals. Truthfully, if not for the whole opposable thumbs thing and being able to create tools, we wouldn't have lasted a generation or two.

6. Weregild

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I'm in the process of becoming a vegetarian. My goal is to go full on vegan. For environmental issues, mostly.

7. beckling

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    eating meat makes me sick normally, so i stay away from it if i can. chicken is the only one i can eat, but i'm vegetarian for the most part. (seafood is also okay, but i don't get the chance to eat it often.)

8. alexandr

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I eat meat, although most meat I have is stuff like seafood and chicken.

9. candyjiru

I just feel it's unnecessary to kill or harm an animal so I can eat it or its byproducts... I also don't buy leather or silk and only use makeups that are vegan and or not tested on animals ^.^ It makes me feel much lighter and peaceful feeling to not consume that bad energy~

10. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I eat meat, although it is mostly chicken. I'm not a huge fan of red meat...
    Personally I couldn't be a vegetarian myself because I'm a really fussy eater - I'm picky enough as it is, and I won't eat cheese or quorn or roast vegetables, all the things that my vegetarian family members eat.

Also a lot of vegetarians and vegans irritate me because half of them, my sister included, have a moral superiority complex. I know that not all of them do, but it's like - wow, you don't eat meat, what do you want - a cookie? I mean if you do it because you don't want to pay into that industry then good for you, I try to avoid products made through animal testing myself - but it's nobody's place to shame meat-eaters, everyone has their reasons.

#90 Gunsmoke, Aug 21, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  11. bjanna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was a vegetarian for about 2 years, but I quit a year ago because I'm naturally really thin and I'm bad at trying to get enough protein without meat so I was losing weight. So I eat meat now but I have respect for vegetarians and vegans even if I probably won't go back to that lifestyle.

12. PigsCanFly

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm a vegetarian, have been for 4 months now. I never liked the idea of eating meat but I did anyway. Then recently I realised that I wasn't eating meat because I enjoyed it, I was eating it for convenience mostly. I personally don't like the idea of animals being killed when I don't even like eating it? I also just wondered whether I could actually cut meat out and I haven't looked back :slight_smile:

#92 PigsCanFly, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  13. timo

Yep. I like meat.

14. lemons123

same.

15. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't take any supplements and I'm still kickin. Nutritionally, I could probably do with more leafy greens in my diet, like for iron and calcium, but last time I had all my levels checked they were ideal for someone of my age, height, and perceived gender, so I'm not too worried at the moment.

I will give you one thing though - my appetite has increased. I snack a lot more now.

It's really not a hard diet to stick to as a single twenty-something, but I can't imagine raising a family on a vegan diet, especially in a low-income bracket. Growing kids eat so much!