1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you eat meat?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by jaska, Aug 12, 2016.

?

Meat and Animal products...Do you eat them?

1. meat eater

63.6%
  2. vegetarian

15.2%
  3. vegan

8.6%
  4. carnivore :3

12.6%
  1. Formality

I was vegetarian for about a year. Last year in fact. But then I read "The Vegetarian Myth" by Lierre Keith. Afterwards I started doing more critical research and realized how gullable I'd have been to assume that simply going vegetarian would help solve the worlds environmental problems. I was tricked into believing that such a diet would be the healthiest diet. I had more digestive problems, among other things like getting my thryoid feeling swollen, than I'd ever had before after transitioning to a vegetarian diet. Most probably from the decrease in iodine + iron intake. Along with consuming soy which is known to cause thyroid problems.

Anyways. Now I eat a lot of meat products (organic), dairy, veggies, less carbohydrates and more animal fats. I have no digestive problems any longer and my thyroid feels completely normal.

#41 Formality, Aug 12, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  2. theskylitup

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  3. lnamae

lnamae Guest

Vegan. There is nothing about eating the flesh of a dead, tortured animal that appeals to me.

4. 108

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not currently vegan, or even vegetarian. But, to eat meat and perpetuate the industry after becoming aware of the facts is completely disrespectful to the lives it costs, regardless of how you were brought up. It is shameful, it is disrespectful, and this is coming from a fellow omnivore. There is no logical moral objection to the idea that our existence should cause less suffering and damage to the world we inhabit.

However, people don't like to think deeply about what their comfort and traditions costs, and that's fine. There are people who are not financially capable of eating a healthy vegetarian diet, because it does in fact cost more. The average vegetarian diet is disgusting, because people don't understand food and shovel pasta, dairy, etc into their bodies which will do them more personal harm than meat. Those people should not go vegetarian until they are better educated, it can cause a series of medical problems. Some have dietary needs that are difficult to meet with a vegetarian diet. There are many understandable reasons to eat meat, but willful ignorance is not a good reason.

I made a decision to eat meat due to personal goals, pushing aside this small moral argument to pursue and improve other areas of my life, but I'm very aware of the cost of that decision and will return to it when my lifestyle no longer requires strict dietary manipulation. I still feel strongly about it. The evolution argument particularly peeves me, so I had to chime in with some stronger language and opinion than my original post contained.

5. lnamae

lnamae Guest

I actually find being vegan a hell lot cheaper than eating meat considering when you compare the price of lentils, beans, fresh produce to meat and crappy processed meat products. If you buy meat product that are cheaper than those things, surely it's really crappy fast food, deep fried, and hella not good for you. I spend about $50 a week on food being vegan, but whatevs. I don't find that expensive. My blood tests are all good, I exercise everyday, and healthier than most other people I know tbh. If I ate meat (not gonna happen) I'd be spending a lot more, I don't know why people say it's cheaper to eat it tbh... But whatever.

6. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Personally I think being vegetarian/vegan sounds great in theory, but then there's delicious chicken you know. So I probably won't ever be.

I can really appreciate the folks who do though, it's got to take a lot of effort. And you're saving money, and potentially the environment...

7. Cedar

At some point, I would like to go vegetarian but there's things like chicken, bacon and hamburgers that I have a hard time leaving behind.

8. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I eat meat, but I don't have a choice.

9. PrettyinPunk

I'm definitely a meat eater! Out of the 3 major meals of the day at least two contain some kind of meat protein. Part of this is dietary lifestyle but also I love the taste. My diet is balanced so I also eat a ton of veggies. I also buy grass fed, hormone, antibiotic, and cruelty free meat. (The standard fatty meats are not healthy).

I don't judge anyone else's diet. Of course a healthy diet is better, but if you live off of pizza and ice cream, that's your choice. To all the people that would bully and pressure others about their diets, those people can shove it.

10. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I ought not to for environmental, ethical and health reasons but due to other dietary restrictions and what's been a fairly stressful year, I'm around a bi-weekly meat eater. Mostly fish and chicken.

#50 Aussie792, Aug 12, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  11. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My mind was way too into the gutter when reading "Do you eat meat".

I am a omnivore but I think vegans are better people. You care so much about helping other breathing creatures that you're willing to give up how wonderfully tasty they are. Although I will say if I had the money to, I would try and eat the most humane meat available.

12. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I do eat meat, but only fish and chicken (I never, ever, EVER eat beef), and I'm trying to cut back on the amount of that even..I wish I had the moral fiber and strength to be vegetarian, for ethical and environmental reasons..but it's so good. x_x

13. whoagirls

Out Status:
    Some people
    I decided to go vegan a few months ago because I felt bad for the animals, and it's better for my health and the environment. I'm not going to go into details of specific reasons here, because that would take too long, but there's tons of resources online if you would like to look into it more. Just be warned, there are a lot of crazies in the online vegan community, and they don't represent the majority.

14. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I currently eat meat because I can't afford buying my own high protein food. Sure, I could only go for dairy products and eggs, but that would not be enough. Once I'm on my own I'll surely switch to a vegetarian diet.

15. Kilbert

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I do eat meat, though I feel it's too unhealthy to eat only meat. Every once in a while, I mix things up by adding a few veggies or eating only veggies.

16. iiimee

I eat meat and animal products with no remorse. People call me a monster, but I seriously don't care if a bunch of cows are being slaughtered for my food. :/ They're animals- I'm not naive enough to think they have the same level of awareness human beings do. Still, if somebody wants to be vegan or vegetarian, I am fine with that, but don't try to guilt me into becoming one.

17. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I love the taste of pork

18. ThatRangerGirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    For me, I look at it this way-- Should we cause *other* animals unnecessary pain and suffering? No. Absolutely not. I dissprove of current methods used in slaughter houses, but meat gained from hunting I see no problems with. Animals eat meat. Humans are animals. Why should we be any different from a wolf, lion or eagle in our diet? In fact, shooting a deer with a 30-30 is considerably less painful to the deer than being torn apart by a wolf. But as I said, I strongly disaprove of current slaughter houses. I do eat meat from them, but if I had a choice between eating a pig from a slaughter house, or eating a wild boar that was shot by a hunter, I would go with the latter, because it is more humane.

19. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sometimes. Meat can be expensive~.

I really dislike beef and sausage (for the taste). So I don't eat steak, burgers... Oh, and fish is gross, too. >.< As well as fried chicken.

I'm a super picky eater, so cutting meat out of my diet would leave me with even fewer options. >.< Also my parents wouldn't let me do it.

Morally, I don't have anything against eating meat, as long as I'm not the one that kills the animal. It's already dead when I get it, so... I mean, unless an animal is my friend or part of my family. You don't eat your friends and family; that's horrible!

But it's not as if I have anything against not eating meat, either, so I am respectful toward vegetarians/vegans. If someone doesn't eat meat for ethical reasons, then I just think it's nice that they care about something. ^^

20. Kellian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I eat meat, I don't really care if someone doesn't eat meat or not, as long as the don't try to make me stop eating meat.