1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do only gay men wear scarves?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Alexander69, Oct 24, 2012.

1. jsmurf

If that was true, all French guys would be gay. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

---------- Post added 24th Oct 2012 at 11:51 AM ----------

I'm btw familiar with Alexander's "elitist bland" mindset- it's called Vancouver. I went to college there, saw my share of boring preppy people who refuse to look outside their little bubble.

2. Jared

I'm going to school near Beverley Hills and Bel Air and most people here who aren't students are like that. It's all about maintaining a certain image. I don't think wearing a scarf makes you gay, especially if you live in a cold area. In LA scarfs are more of an accessory so most guys who wear them are gay.

Also, $250 for a scarf is absolutely nuts. You say you want to stop being so materialistic and such. If that's so you really need to stop buying Gucci clothes. Try out TJ Maxx or Macy's, you'll find a bunch of nice stuff for a lot less money. I personally love TJ Maxx, they have a bunch of overpriced clothes at normal prices (!)

Many people manage to survive on minimum wage and are actually happy and are the nicest people I know, I can't say that about a lot of my rich friends or my family. Driving a Honda is not a bad thing, they're reliable and cheap to maintain. They are built much better than luxury cars, Lexus and Porsche excluded, and I will probably get one when I sell my BMW, since I'll be able to afford it much easier. BMWs, Mercedes, Audis and the like are called luxury cars for a reason. They are a luxury item and by far not a a necessity, people get by just fine without that fancy badge on their car. They are meant for people with a large disposable income (or a love of debt) and not for teenagers, we really cannot afford to be driving them and we probably shouldn't have them.

3. Alexander69

We don't have Macy's out here. And I know with minimum wage I couldn't afford my Mercedes. But I got some sleep finally and I guess this is real life? :/ and I need to grow up now and start being smart..... I never realized how easy I had if though. I didn't even realize I was spoiled for so long. But I'm willing to start off my independent life on minimum wage as long as I can be independent

4. Alan Lewrie

That's a very good outlook, and I won't pretend it is easy to live on your own at first, as it takes awhile to settle into a groove and get things as you'd like, but once you have it's great.

5. jsmurf

I'm glad you're starting to realize what a bad thing unfettered materialism can be in one's personal life. I am politically inclined towards Libertarianism, but that doesn't mean I ldont DEEPLY disdain of the type of mentality that says that people are worth their monetary value, or that fancy possessions are the source of true happiness in life. I'll never be rich or even moderately well-off on my own myself, I'm horrible at business, and not the most perfectionist worker out there. But I do think it's important for people to be able to free to pursue that lifestyle if they so wish, and to be unencumbered in doing so...

As for me, as long as I have a bit of good food, some good books and an outing to the Great Outdoors once every other weekend, I'm a happy camper. Oh, and I'd rather spend any vastly accumulated earnings on traveling to distant lands than buying up expensive cars, fancy clothes or mcmansions. :slight_smile: I'm content with using public transportation if I live in a big city, and for clothes visiting a thrift store or target is good enough...

It is weird isn't it that a city in Canada like Vancouver can be MORE materialist-minded than parts of California? You'd think Canadians abide by a more collectivist/shared prosperity mentality.

#25 jsmurf, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  6. tapsilog2012

tapsilog2012 Guest

@jsmurf, sadly yes, parts of Vancouver are extremely elitist and materialistic. "We have it good so dont complain" is a common thing for people to say, regardless of how messed up your situation is.

I find true compassion and empathy VERY RARE in this city.

and so everyone knows, our minimum wage is $10.25. It just became this this year. It was frozen at $8 until 2011.

#26 tapsilog2012, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2012
  7. Alexander69

I wouldn't say that though :frowning2: but yes there are many people like me but who are so rude! And have such a sense if entitlement it's crazy and sickening

8. jsmurf

That's why going to UBC instead of UW was a mistake... It was hard to make friends in Vancouver, just because of how shallow and unapproachable so many folks were. Strangely (or not strangely) enough, my handful of friends were all Americans or international students like me....

Seattle isn't TOO drastically different from Vancouver, but people here are certainly a bit more lukewarm and not just a bunch of automatons who think only about cars, sex and clubbing in their spare time.

9. Alexander69

LMAOOOOOOO!!! And OMG you went to UBC :O your so smart! Holy crap! We used to live in the point grey area! Like 6 years ago!

10. Alexander69

11. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nope, it's not exclusive to gay men. Even though I'm a lesbian, I think it's attractive when any guy (especially if they're straight and masculine) can wear and own wearing a scarf. A scarf can add a lot of style to an outfit.

12. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So WTF happened to the idea you weren't going to buy any more expensive, pretentious clothing?

13. Alexander69

Didn't u read chip!! I decided not to buy it I started thinking about it and I don't "need" it so I won't get it :slight_smile: my mind plays games with me and make me want everything but I'm learning to control it now

14. DarkClarity

EC is such a odd place. A question about scarves and people are talking about wages. To answer the question: Plently of straight guys wear scarves so it doesn't make you 'look gay'.

15. jaysuss

No they don't, but i am an exception :wink:

16. robclem21

This is only because this is not Alex's first thread about a subject like this and everyone who is responding has weighed in on a pattern of issues that has become quite apparent.

17. Alexander69

18. nrazor

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OMG you live in frigid Canada and you dont have scarf, go see a doctor ASAP! :eek:

19. BudderMC

For what it's worth, I refuse to wear a scarf and I'm Canadian too.

20. Meropspusillus

I have so many scarves and I never wear them. It's silly of me. I like scarves a lot.