1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do only gay men wear scarves?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Alexander69, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Alexander69

Ok I usually wouldn't wear a scarf but I saw this really nice scarf. Now I dont want my parents to see me and question my heterosexuality. They don't know I'm gay and I'd like to keep it that way. Now I see a lot of gay guys wear dog tooth scarfs and I Hate that pattern so much but I saw this one and I want to know before I buy it weather it would make some question my sexuality? Gucci - GG pattern scarf. 2216404G2001077

2. Eleanor Rigby

No, not only gay men wear scarves. Plenty of men wear scarves. My husband, my brother, my dad, my uncle, my cousin, they're all straight and they all wear scarves, including colored scarves (red, blue, pink, with tartans on it).
    My only question would be, were you not talking recently about being addicted to buy new clothes ? Because, before being this one (and spending a huge lot of money on a small piece of wool) maybe you can dig from your closet (no pun intended) and try to find one you already have.
    Take care, Cécile

3. Alexander69

No I don't have any scarves :frowning2: that why I want one or .... 2

4. sunnii

Lmao of course not

5. aeva

Nope, I know plenty of straight guys that wear scarves.

Plus, I think the whole hipster scene has somewhat blurred the lines on what would traditionally be considered 'gay' clothing, and makes it easier to slip under the radar a little more (or have an excuse).

6. Eleanor Rigby

Ok :slight_smile: So get one :slight_smile:

7. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love scarves, but I'm a gay man so it isn't exactly the confirmation you requested. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I handmade my favorite scarf a couple of years ago. It's various shades of black, grey, and white and it's all crocheted into a chevron-like pattern.

But scarves serve a purpose, so gay and straight people wear them. If your neck is cold (or if you just want one really badly) then just get one. A piece of fabric isn't gender-bound or sexuality-bound to gay or straight people.

I will add, $250 for a scarf seems a bit overkill, especially if you're trying to not spend as much.

Evgeny likes this.
  8. Alexander69

See I figured I don't have a scarf and winter is coming up and I have like 50 wallets so I said I'll get Somthing I don't have. Because like was pointed out I'm trying not to spend as much any more! I saw this really sexy Gucci white outfit and I want it but I don't NEED it so in not going to get it :slight_smile: I posted the link on my wall but its sooooo sexy! I was watching a little bit I this show in slice? I think it was it was about clothing and shopping addictions and this lady inherited her grandmothers mansion along with her money and they way she buys stuff is like me and my mom and i was like I don't want to end up like that. She was so shallow and said "just because I have money doesn't mean I'm a bitch, so ya give it away to someone who needs it actually take it all" or something like that and I was like... Is that the way I act :astonished: so idk this show hit me hard ...... The thing is I that I love Gucci I love ye fabric an the design the logo everything and that's what makes it hard to stop shoping there but idk.... I'm second guessing if i should get this scarf now... I mean ill only wear it for a few moths a year.... Idk I keep thinking in my head that I want to look buisness savvy when I get my first job but I keep forgetting that ill probably be working in a regular store :O :O UGHH!! But I guess you have to start at the bottom and work your way up. I want to do real estate but I want a job first but who will higher a 17 year old? And how much would I make an hour? What's minimum wage in Canada anyone know? Isn't it like 20$ or something? I am looking at moving out on my own and I told my mom. And she's like "I think it will be good for you to mature finally" which I think it will but I was looking at condos down town and for a bachelor it's $ 1,800 a month if in getting like 20$ an hour how's that possible to live down town? But I don't want to be out of the city...... Ugh so complicated!!!!!!!!! And I dont work weekends thats crazy to work weekends those are my days! UGHH I'd have no money to buy anything UGHHHH!!!! UGH UGH UGH UGH UGH UGH UGH UGH!!! How do people do this! I don't want to grow upppp! :'(

9. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Minimum wage in Canada in most territories is just above $10.
    I know many people who live in America where the minimum wage is around $8 that support themselves and a family solely off of this income with a little assistance, but often they have to find another minimum wage job or two.
    What many people do when they first move out of their parent's house is find roommates to live with and split the cost of the apartment or suite they will be staying in.
    With four roommates, the cost-per-month would go down to about $450 per person, but there are probably much cheaper apartments to look at before moving.

And to answer your first question, no scarves won't make you look gay.

10. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I don't know about Canada, but I'm very skeptical that minimum wage is $20 per hour. In America if varies from state to state. In Pennsylvania it's currently $7.25 per hour.

As forgetting a job, lots of places hire 17 year-olds. All you have to do is look around a little. :slight_smile: Your first job probably won't be glamorous or highly lucrative, but first jobs never are. Real Estate is a good goal to have, but I'm doubtful you'll be able to dive into that right off the bat. If you really want a job and to start earning money yourself, you'll have to make some compromises.

Growing up sucks, that's for sure. But you do get lots of benefits from becoming a self-sufficient adult. And the feeling of earning your first paycheck is indescribable. :slight_smile:

11. Alexander69

ARE YOU KIDDING ME $10 and hour? NO WAY THAT'S A JOKE RIGHT?!!! :O OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG your shitting me!!! I don't do we'll living with other people! :O I'm a bitch! I get irritated easily and I hate messy people like I would have a break down living with a messy person! My room is always spotless and cleaned! Ugh how do people feed a family on that? I feel awful I had no clue that's how little they got OMG I'm in shock I feel sick to my stomach ......

12. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's hard, but people do it everyday and don't complain. My guess is you haven't met many people who are below your tax bracket? It can be shocking to learn that other people make it pretty damn far with less than half of what someone else gets, but it does happen. My family is one of those who makes it by on minimum wage - sometimes even less.

13. Alexander69

OMG I'm going to cry where do I start I DON'T K OW HOW TO START OFF MY LIFE! I've never been forced to do anything in my life and I'm so scared now! I don't want to grow up I'm scared as hell and I've been so stressed lately as you can see I don't sleep untill 8 in the morning I'm so stressed and scared and ugh! I don't know how to be independent and It's sad! I don't know what my next step is! I k ow I want a job but how do I start to be in real estate? OMG my head is throbbing :frowning2: I don't want to be poor and miserable :frowning2:

---------- Post added 24th Oct 2012 at 05:40 AM ----------

And I'm not smart either :frowning2: I wish I was a nerd a genius I've always hated be stupid :frowning2: I'm not stupid stupid I'm just Not here in reality :frowning2: I need a major reality check and that's what I'm scared of :frowning2:

14. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well being poor doesn't mean you're miserable. That's kind of a rude thing to say, in my opinion.

Starting off is never easy. I still live at home, so I can't offer much by way of advice there...

But as I said above, you can't just walk into a real estate office and land a job. You have to get certified and licensed based on your state/provincial regulations. That calls for some research, since I am not up on Canadian real estate qualifications. And it costs money. You'll have to take courses to get certified, and a State/Provence standardized test to get licensed, that much is probably true.

---------- Post added 24th Oct 2012 at 08:43 AM ----------

And, none of us said you were stupid. Nor does anything you've posted imply that you are. You're learning about something new, so if anything you are quite the opposite of stupid, since you're open to new ideas and experiences. :slight_smile:

15. Alexander69

How can you live on so little? I mean I guess it's possible but how do you go on vacations m, buy clothing, pay for Internet, electric, hydro, gas, heating and cooling, food. How can you do that on so little? Idk how I'm going to live I'm scared :frowning2: OMG how can I afford to keep maintenance on my car? OMG ill have to sell my car and get a cheap Honda or something :frowning2: OMG FUCK! ughhhh! My brother lives off my parents but he is straight and can be himself an have his girlfriend over. I can't my parents hate gays and that's why I need out if my home so I can be me for once. Sorry for offending you :frowning2: I didn't mean to in just in shock right now and so stressed out I don't know how to live on my own I never had to :frowning2: I nevr used to have to cook my own food there was someone for that :frowning2: an now I am cooking for my self but I'm so stressed I barley sleep

16. robclem21

welcome to the real world buddy. Glad to see reality is catching up a little bit. This is how the majority of people live their lives day to day. Stressing over money, being careful about what they buy and how much they spend. Not being able to eat out, or buy fancy cars, or expensive clothes. Bet a Honda isn't looking so bad now.

Minimum wage is around 10 dollars and the reality is, people earning that much need to work weekends in order to just be able to afford their rent and food to eat. This is not uncommon. You don't take vacations and many people don't get all the entertainment you get to enjoy in your financial situation with your parents. Try it for a month and then see how you judge people who are in this situation.

---------- Post added 24th Oct 2012 at 11:46 AM ----------

also I agree with above scarf does not equal gay. Wish it did though, might make finding gay guys easier.

17. tapsilog2012

tapsilog2012 Guest

.......just wow......sorry, just wow.....Cant believe you thought minimum wage was $20. I just, I find it very strange....now I understand, this city divides people. Poor/"normal" and super rich barely see each other.

You don't NEED to live downtown.

You don't NEED a car in Vancouver, much less an expensive car. We have a good transit system.

I live in Surrey, take the bus/walk everywhere, have a job thats just above minimum wage even though I have a degree, most of my clothes are hand me downs, and you know what? Its not so bad! As long as I have food in my stomach and can pay my rent, I have things that I love that keep me going, my own interests, and Im generally pretty happy.

I think having to scramble for food and housing in life makes you smarter, it just takes some practice.

Really, its not so bad!

#17 tapsilog2012, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2012
  18. Redell

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gay guys do tend to wear scarves more often, at least in Australia where they are generally more of an accessory than a necessity.

But with wearing scarves, at least where I'm from, straight guys tend to just have the scarf on where as the gay guys that I know who wear scarves have it all wrapped up around the neck, instead of just hanging from the back of the neck (if that makes any sense).

That's from what I've seen anyway, just an observation.

19. TheSeeker

Hell I love Scarves... Granted, I am bisexual, but I am very straight acting (one girl in the UK told me she couldn't date me because I wasn't feminine enough for her taste... Hilarious). But the main reason I love scarves is that I worked two years for the US Peace Corps in Morocco (North Africa) and everybody wore scarves. I like wearing them now because they remind me of that experience. I also live in Colorado though, so anything to keep my face from freezing :slight_smile: .

Also, minimum wage at $20? Really? Wow. I am a U.S. Federal Employee and you don't get paid that much until you are at least a Grade 07... A supervisor. Yet I feel quite comfortable, strange how that works. Could be living in Africa for two years helped...

20. Alan Lewrie

I'd suggest checking macy's for scarves before spending an insane amount of money on (Gucci of all things) a scarf. I've gotten two nice ones from Macy's for under $25, and a nice one from Kohls that came with my pea coat.