1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did you 'know' you were gay as a child?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rakkaus, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Silvails52

I didn't really know for a fact, but there were SO many signs. :lol: Let's see... my favorite color was purple (changed to pink) when I was little, I loved rainbows (even though I didn't know the symbol yet), and I was... curious about what other boys looked like. :icon_redf

2. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I didn't know until I was about 12 and going through puberty. To be honest I am a late bloomer in this area, I didn't even have my first crush until I turned 21.

3. dreamcatcher

I didn't know I was gay when I was a child. I thought I would end up getting married to a guy and having a boyfriend eventually even though I had never been interested in a man before. I had thoughts about being with other girls when I was younger but I always managed to suppress them. i've always been good at suppressing my emotions which is why I didn't realize until when I was 19. I never even had real crushes on anyone until recently because I've always been so repressed.

4. jsmurf

I only had crushes on girls until age 13 like you, now you see where im at.

I vividly recall wanting to bathe with the girl next door, sneaking through my bro's playboy collection and focusing on my 3rd grade teachers boobs......

Yeah, I wonder...

5. Ventus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No. I knew by the time I was in Middle School that something was up. It was only until highschool that I accepted and embraced it.

When I was a child I would only have crushes on girls.

6. FollowtheFreeman

It took me seventeen years to find out that I wasn't as straight as I had thought. One day I was just sitting on my couch when BAM! I realized that I also liked penis.

7. FashionDisaster

Looking back on my childhood I can't believe that it took me so long to realize I was gay. I can remember having feelings about other boys as far back as 8 or 9 years old, but at the time I always found them weird and justified them with any thought but that it was a crush.

So I guess the answer to your question would be that I always knew on some level from the moment I started to have sexual feelings but refused to accept it.

8. julia

I kissed a lot of girls in my day but I didn't know I was gay until this year.

9. IanGallagher

Seven years old, I wanted to dance with Devon Sawa (Casper).

I had no idea what was going on in my mind back then lol and why that scene stood out so much to me because throughout the movie I was into Kat then suddenly into Casper as well lol.

Needless to say growing up bi, was really confusing...

10. Pain

Pain Guest

I knew from an early age. Like, around 4-5. I called other boys "handsome" if I liked how they looked, but I never associated it with the word "gay."

My first gay memory was actually when I was watching Cinderella. I asked my mommy "Why can't a boy marry a boy?" Because I had not even heard of such a thing. I can't remember her answer, but I could tell she got a negative attitude when I asked it.

Then, a scene came up where the King was thrilled that his son was dancing happily with Cinderella. The King himself grabbed a guard and did a little dance move with him, and I said "See, mommy? He loves a boy, because he danced with him!"

"Boys can't marry boys," said mommy (not verbatim, but I think that's what it was).

"Well, I will," I said.

I was four years old. I definitely remember that situation and what I said. But I didn't know that it was "gay."

11. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I knew all along. I only ever liked boys.

As a small child (6-7 years old and even younger) I was convinced I had to be a girl to be with the boys I liked. That was something I was completely willing to do, even at such a young age. Once I found out two guys could be together, I knew that was me.

12. Waterlilly

I didn't really understand what crushes were. I thought I just had this wierd quirk of always unintentionally picking out girls to be fascinated with. I just thought it was a coincidence that they were all attractive. I thought I had a crush on a boy in third grade but looking back I realize that I probably just admired him for being the class clown.

13. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was totally asexual until I turned 12. I didn't 'get' crushes, I thought the whole concept of love was stupid. I didn't want any of that, and then suddenly it was like a switch flipped in my mind... and I started seeing 'beauty' everywhere that I had never seen before. It was intoxicating. Sex became almost an obsession of mine.

14. VireBlaze

Well... when I was younger, I never feel like I quite fit in with the guys. I hung out with girls most of the time. I enjoyed it a lot more. When I hung out with my guy friends, I always felt this weird distance with them. Like I WAS a guy, but something was off. I just thought it was because of how different I was, regarding being a gamer and dreamer. I do remember playing with dolls with a girl friend, and watching 'The Spongebob Squarepants Movie' with another girl friend, to which we had a BLAST. I always felt this attraction to rainbows, though I don't think that counts for too much. >w<

I only started questioning when I was around 13 years old, after I had stumbled onto some guy on guy stuff and being oddly enthralled by it. .////. But I never really considered it, and pushed it to the back of my mind.

Now, though... well, I've more or less accepted it. Some bumps every now and again, but I'm an over-thinker as is. xD;

15. ameliawesome

I thought I was a weirdo. And I was okay with that as long as no one else noticed. So I did know I was gay by kindergarten but I did not yet know what gay was. And it still took me til age 24 to be able to say I am absolutely gay.

16. Aielar

I had no inkling until I turned eighteen, which does not make much sense - when puberty hit me, I thought about girls more than I did guys, but since there was not much awareness around lgbtq when I was going to school and I did not know any lgbtq people, it just never occurred to me, even though there was very obvious hints lol. Then almost two years ago it hit me, and looking back I do not know why I was oblivious earlier in my life lol.

17. Mango

I always knew that was different. I just didn't know how different...

I remember at a very early age, just wanting to be exactly like my mom in every way...

I thought then, that you could become whatever sex you wanted to become, for some reason. I played with girls and their dolls, I played hopscotch, jacks, and paddleball, right along side of the girls all of the time.

When puberty roll around, I fell in love with my boyfriend who lived across the street.

I guess, I always knew that I was different, but somehow I didn't feel 'gay', I felt like I was straight, but just inside of the wrong body.

Next, I decided that I was just gay with gender issues, and therefore an effeminate gay male.

Finally, I decided that I was an MTF transgender.

#57 Mango, Sep 17, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  18. dairyuu

I was pretty much asexual until fourth grade, until I got my first crush (on a boy). I never knew I was "gay"- I used to think that everyone was bisexual, in my own childish way. I never even gave it a name until I was 9, and things went from there.

19. rainbowz19

I didn't even know what gay was, but looking back now, I can see that my feelings toward some of my female friends were definitely not just friendly. Especially in high school.

20. Possibly Maybe

No flipping idea :dry: