1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cutting

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by AsheTheHuman, Sep 23, 2014.

1. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just wanted to echo Blossom85 and Starfleet's comments and to say thank you for the updates. It's good to know that you are thinking about and finding ways to move forward. One step at a time, one day at a time, but all progress in a positive direction is good.

2. AsheTheHuman

As I am typing this it just turned Sunday. Yesterday was Saturday, and it was also the first day I went without cutting since Monday. I came out as Ashe to some very important family friends and they were all very accepting. More so than I ever imagined they would be. I've gone over it with some friends and some family. They all think that I should go to East. My "cousin" who goes there already is super excited to show me around. I just need to talk to my mom about it, and they're all going to help me convince her if she needs convincing. There was some bad news today too though. One of my friends, one of the initial three people I've told... I'm so done with him. It's not that he doesn't understand, it's that he doesn't even attempt to. "Why are you changing XY? You're fine." I don't know how many times he's said this. He's careless too. He posted my name on Instagram despite me EXPLICITLY telling him it's a secret for now. The worst part though? He didn't write my name as Ashe and in parenthesis (Patrick). It was Patrick and in parenthesis (Ashe). He doesn't do it to be hurtful, but he's 16 and still always acts like a child and is scared of everything outside his own little bubble. At a time when I'm severely stressed out about everything, and questioning who my real friends are, I don't need him and his bullshit. I've tried explaining to him time and time again, but he just won't listen. So that's my update. Thanks once again to everyone. If I'm ever lucky enough to meet any of you IRL, I will give you the most crushing hug you'll ever receive.~<3

3. Blossom85

That sounds like some very good progress Ashe, it is wonderful to hear the family you told were very accepting of it all, I am almost crying tears of happiness for you at the moment.. I think you are stronger then you realize and I think you are going to do just fine.. It might take some time and you might have more low points, but I really feel like you have the courage and strength in you to do what you need to do in order to find peace and happiness in your life.

I think at times like this, when you are looking for support, people can really show their true colors.. People we thought were friends can show us that they just aren't meant to be in our lives by not accepting us as we are. I think it is one thing to not understand it all.. But to not be willing to accept who you are, not willing to be supportive.. It is your friend who is going to be losing out on knowing and keeping such a beautiful soul like yourself in his life. I think you saying you are done with him shows me that you wanna make sure you surround yourself with positive and supportive people cause you don't need anymore negative thoughts and negative feelings around you.

You are welcome and thank you Ashe, for allowing us the chance to be here for you and get to know you and for opening up.. You are a wonderful shining star and I see you doing some wonderful things with your life as you grow older. Never stop believing in yourself. I'd be one of those who would just love to give you a big crushing hug in return Hun xx

4. SeaSalt

Try holding onto an ice cube and letting it melt in your clenched hand. Thats what I did and it hurts more than cutting yourself but doesnt cause lasting damage or visual scars.

5. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

Ashe, I'm so happy for you and proud of you. :slight_smile: I'm glad the people you told were so accepting. I'm sorry that that other person isn't making the effort to understand.

I'd be so happy to get that hug! xD

6. joshy the queen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    im so happy you stopped honey i know how do you feel i used to be in the same position stupid school stupid people and on top of that my family wasn't better and my dad used to hit me and i had to deal with all this i self harm ever since childhood
    i didnt stop completely till last year ( i was fine but i had to do something to cope with some stuff it wasnt as serious as past years though )
    i can never do it again as i know how much i love myself i changed everything in me im who i wanted to be all those years and i can make myself stop from just looking at the mirror and seeing that im hurting that cute boy why?? i ruined my skin and had infected scars i was the worst self harmer ever ! because i never stop when i start and i cut too deep
    hey make sure to bandage them stop the bleeding and never leave them like that as i got infected scars and it was a hell of mess
    hey im always here to talk to you hun and please try not to think about it again if you can i always play video games to forget what is happening with life im sorry you have to go with all this im glad you have some supportive people around you about who you are i was always called sick by most people god knows how sick i would be to them if i have told them about my self harm >.>

7. AsheTheHuman

Hello, everyone :slight_smile: So last night, I don't know if it was the fact it was 3:00 AM, or if I was just tired of it all, I gave my knife to my parents. I told them everything. I'll be leaving to start my transfer process at my new school shortly, my mom is calling my psychologist to see when I'm meeting with the gender psychologist, and for the first time in my life I feel brave and ready for a new start. There's literally no way I could have done this without all your help and support. You're all amazing people and I'm lucky to have had you here to help me. I'll continue to be around, but for the time being, I don't think I need this thread anymore. Thank you all so much. <3 ~Ashley

8. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

So AWE-sum, Ashley. So proud of you. :slight_smile: Words aren't enough. (*hug*)

9. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That word "amazing" can equally be applied to you. You have made some huge decisions in the days since you created this thread and that's not easy when you hit a deep low. If, in some small way, we have helped you to arrive at those decisions that's great, but the decisions have been yours to make Ashe, so you are the real star. :slight_smile:

Really wish you well from here onwards, but remember that support is just a few words away if you need it.

Thank you for sharing with us.

10. Blossom85

Reading these words have made me so very happy.. I don't think there is any word that could really sum up just how proud I am to see the progress you made. That is just amazing, it really is. You are brave and strong and I am so glad to see you feeling this way as well. You are the amazing one, and it has been a privledge to get to know you and be able to help in anyway. I really wish you the best from here on, but to echo PatrickUK's words, help is just a few words away if you need anything at all. (*hug*)(*hug*)

11. SeaSalt

Its shit like this that makes me love EC so damn much!

Seriously I love you guys and BRAVO Ashe!

12. AsheTheHuman

So I guess I'm reviving this thread from the dead. Friday was my first day at my new school. It went well. Seems like there's some interesting people and some good clubs including a GSA. Support Group is amazing and I met some awesome people. But I still feel like I'm going crazy and I just finished cutting again. I used scissors which were *much* sharper than my dull old pocketknife. My Dad had just came in my room. I've told them everything except that I'm trans. They think I identify as androgynous right now. But they've accepted me %100. There's no reason I couldn't tell them I'm trans. And yet my demons won't let me. "You're a fuck up", "They'll hate you", "You'll be out on the streets". All these things. I know they aren't true, but they *feel* true. And I can't escape these feelings. My dysphoria's grown worse as well. I feel like I've escaped an earthquake only to get hit by an aftershock.

13. Blossom85

Ohh Hun ~big hugs~

I can't even begin to imagine how you would be feeling. It would be an extremely difficult thing to tell your parents when you have that kind of feelings. Just again, take one day at a time, I think going from how your parents reacted, they will be supportive and you know that.. but I still where you are coming from with the fear you feel that it won't all go as well if they do know. I am glad school went well for you, I think it will be a very supportive and good place for you to be.

Don't feel discouraged Hun, I think it's going to take a while for you to feel completely at ease and at peace with yourself and who you are, so take your time and know that everyone here on EC is here for you and we all are supportive of you.

14. SpaceSuit

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *hugs* You've been so strong and so brave. I know that it can be hard to ignore those voices in our heads that say such terrible things, but try not to let it overwhelm you. Talk to your therapist or family. It's actually pretty normal to have these "aftershock" episodes. I know I get them all the time after a significant event and my therapist always says it's normal so I just have to wait it out and keep using positive self-talk. You can make it through this too and the people have been accepting of you as a person so there's no reason why that should change. <3. It's okay to take your time telling people, there's no rush. It's important not to push yourself when you're feeling this vulnerable. You've got people here for you who support you and want the best for you.

15. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's very hard when the words and feelings you want to share get trapped inside, but please don't beat yourself up with even harsher words. You ARE NOT a fuck up and you haven't fucked up either. Don't ever underestimate the power of catastrophic terms like that as they can drag you closer to the blackness. I'm telling you now, you are a precious, valuable person. Don't believe me? Well, it's not just me saying it Ashe.

There are some positives amid the negatives and as time passes I hope those positive influences will bring more brightness into your life. It won't happen overnight though and you will still have bad times when the urge to cut is overwhelming. If you can resist the urge it's all well and good, but there may be days, like today when it's just too hard to resist. If/when that happens don't think you have failed in some way. I know the inner voices would have you believe the opposite to that, but I promise you, cutting is not a sign of failure. I know you are trying very hard and you have done amazingly well and to echo what Blossom said... we are here for you. Keep talking to us.

16. AsheTheHuman

Thank you all. Blossom, the new school is better and I'm pretty sure the majority would be cool with my sexuality. Not too sure how supportive they'd be with my gender though. Space, I'm definitely going to talk to my mom about seeing my therapist more often. Both for gender and anxiety. UK, it's gotten to the point where I *know* the voices are wrong looking back on the times they get loud, but when they are loud, they're overwhelming and I can barely handle it all.

17. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

Remember Ashley, that no matter what, I'm your friend forever. :slight_smile:

18. rhapsodic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What they've told me in therapies as a way to cope with urges to cut is to distract yourself and do something that makes you happy or gives you relief. Personally, I like to wander around town on my bike, draw, or angrily play a musical instrument and it helps a lot. Talking to a friend or someone you care about helps. It reminds you that you're loved. :slight_smile:

I also saw something on tumblr that suggested doing something like this: place what you'd normally use to hurt yourself in a cup full of water and put it in the freezer. By doing this, you'll have to wait until it melts to be able to hurt yourself. By then, the urge to cut should have gone away.

I hope everything goes well for you. Remember that we all care about you. (*hug*)

#58 rhapsodic, Oct 6, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  19. AsheTheHuman

Thank you. I've gotten to the point where distracting myself has gotten pretty hard. I like biking, but it's not really an option late in the night. I think I will try the freezer thing though. That's a good idea.

20. rahul2630

rahul2630 Guest

I hope you are not finding the questions too intrusive. We're asking because we we'd like to try to understand what you are going through and help you, if we can. Most importantly we're asking because we care.