1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cutting

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by AsheTheHuman, Sep 23, 2014.

1. AsheTheHuman

So here I am again. I'm out of outpatient, have some actual decent friends, and am doing generally pretty well. And yet I cut yesterday. I honestly have no idea what's compelling me to type this. I know exactly what happened. Dysphoria got really bad, and one of my friends was feeling really depressed and I ended up letting her drag me down. I honestly have no idea if I'll ever feel that way again. I've been doing really well, and it was just a bad day. Was this just some one off thing? Or am I relapsing? Do I have depression? It doesn't seem like depression. I'm not hopeless, or sad for no reason. I just don't know.

2. Blossom85

It could just be that it was a bad day for you Hun.. ~hugs~ It sounds like it could be just a one off thing from what you have mentioned.. Try not to stress too much about it all.. And just come back here, and talk if you need to.. We are all still here for you.

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's nice to hear from you again and I'm pleased you have made some decent friends. I'm also pleased you re-visited this thread to type about what happened. When you have an ongoing 'relationship' with cutting, it's important to keep the lines of communication open as it breaks the silence and pattern of secrecy about what's happening. I can't begin to explain how important that is Ashley.

You were able to identify what happened yesterday, you were able to understand what caused the pressure to build and that's also important and significant. Cutting is such an addictive coping mechanism and once the pattern of cutting to cope is established it's hard to break, but, when have insight into your feelings and the triggers you are on the road to taking back control. So, try not to focus too heavily on the idea that you relapsed, but more on the fact that you are going through a process of change and development in which there will be good days and bad days. The best thing is to focus on what you can do on the bad days before you turn to the blade.

When you are supporting other people it can take a lot out of you and you sometimes need to have another person to offload onto (a kind of de-brief or support for the supporter). When you were supporting your friend with depression yesterday you probably took a bit too much on board. Would it help you to maybe share the load with us to release that pressure valve?

Think about what you can do to keep yourself safe, but don't beat yourself up if you have bad days.

4. AsheTheHuman

I did end up letting another friend take over for me that day, but it was much later than I should have. It was well beyond my breaking point and I should've realized that earlier. Everyone's fine now, by the way. It's just difficult. She's always been there for me, but I'm not strong enough to be there for her yet. Anyways, thank you both. ~<3

5. The Janitor

Kansas City (such originality for a city name)
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you want to get help for your self harm problem, I know there are sites dedicated to nothing other than that topic.

6. AsheTheHuman

So, the urge is back, but this time, I'm not really sure WHY it's back. And that confusion is only making me want to cut more.

7. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sometimes it's best to think of cutting (or any form of self harm/injury) like a bad friend that you've had a relationship with. At one time it helped you to 'cope', but then it dragged you down and got you addicted. You eventually kicked it out of your life, but it's still hanging around and wanting to take you back to your old habits.

I'm afraid cutting is addictive and it takes a lot of strength and effort to turn away from it. You have to call on any alternative coping mechanisms that you have learned and dig deep to remember how and why you turned away from it before.

Sometimes, it's not because you want to, but because you can. Knowing that you can, may feed the urge. Does that make sense? Try to recongnise what's happening with the urge.

8. AsheTheHuman

I understand that analogy all too well. But, yes, that does make sense. I think I've become somewhat fixated with the blood it produces. The last time I cut, the 27th, it was literally dripping down my arm and I got some kind of high of that. The enjoyment of the pain itself was still there as well, but now with a little more, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to get that high again. Anyways, I seem to have starved off the feeling, at least for tonight.

9. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just try your best and give yourself a treat if you manage to face it down. You deserve it! Just like our sexuality or gender identity, it's a journey (a difficult journey).

Good on you for keeping this thread going. I'm sure it will help other people who are struggling to cope with cutting and self harm.

10. AsheTheHuman

Annnndddd it's back. Stronger than before too.

11. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a few hours since you posted, so how are you coping with it? Have you managed to resist? How did you get by yesterday?

12. AsheTheHuman

I'm better. I ate some comfort food, and that helped, not only because it was delicious but because I was actually pretty hungry. From there on I kind of mellowed out, and I'm fine now. Thanks.

13. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :thumbsup: You are doing amazingly well.

14. indiqo

do you have any support following outpatient care? is there any community or charitable support you can seek in the area you are living?

*hug*

15. AsheTheHuman

I'm seeing my psychologist in two days. I've seen her as far back as I can remember, and I trust her fully. I'm going to have her help me explain to my mom what dysphoria is like. I also go to an LGBT Support group every Thursday.

16. AsheTheHuman

:tears:After a recent... incident here on EC, my dysphoria has been going nuts. It's never been this strong and I feel like an ugly freakish monster. I HATE MY STUPID BODY! Why was I born like this? I want to cut now more than I have in weeks. Why?:tears:

17. AsheTheHuman

I couldn't take the dysphoria any longer. I cut.

18. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The other day you had the urge to cut but you couldn't connect it to anything specific.. it was just there. It was an urge but you managed to push it back. This time is different - you know it's connected to the dysphoria.

When you are struggling with dysphoria and all of the negative feelings about yourself, coping is so very hard and you will turn to whatever helps to mute or silence that inner scream. Just knowing what it's about is half the challenge. The real challenge is not so much the cutting, it's the dysphoria. If you can deal with that and begin to feel good about yourself again the urge to cut and self injure will very likely subside. That's why I hope you can make progress with your psychologist.

Don't over-think this Ashe or see it as failure. You cut for a reason when your coping resources had failed. Take care of any wounds and look after yourself now and let me assure you that you are definitely not a 'monster'.