1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chat Room???

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Jamie, Dec 21, 2006.

1. jayden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    i was in the chat room last night with kimi it was good and also grof i cant remember his name to well was also there but he had to go soon after we started chating.

2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I have just installed the latest version of the chatroom software (now 3.8, was 3.7) as Fred was having some problems with it. I don't know what that fixes though.

Once the server it runs on has been upgraded (next week or two) I will look into alternative chat programs. If anyone has any suggestions of chat programs to try, please let me know.

3. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I have also installed some different chatroom software called phpMyChat here http://emptyclosets.net/chatroom/

Please try it and let me know whether you prefer the original one or this one.

4. Kimi

Yeah, it was great chat jeyden!
    If I'm correct then I believe his name is Grof142007(I might be wrong). Sorry I'm not good at remembering names...:icon_roll

And I just tied the new chat room(phpMyChat) and I think I like the original one better.

5. Steam Giant

I did a lot of testing, and this new chatroom has a lot of features that the original lacked. For example, you can do emotes, it doesn't make a smiley face when you type "lol," you can PM other participants, and clicking on their name on the right will tell everyone who you're responding to (example: SteamGiant: SteamClone> I agree). Also, you can type like three whole lines of chat text before it cuts you off.

The only annoying bit for me is the blinking and the smaller chat history, but the extra functionality is really, really nice.

6. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Couldn't you just set up your own IRC server? That would be pretty easy to use, right... and very lightweight? Or is that beyond most people? I've always found it really easy. And I bet there's a web <-> irc interface somewhere.

7. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I definitely don't like that usernames can only be 10 characters on the new one. That's about as far as I got.

8. Kimi

Definitely, don't like the blinking sound every single 10 sec...it is annoying.
    And this is not something relate to any function but I do not like the design of new chat room...I liked how it's simple the original chat room.

And I don't like that you have to type your password to get in.
    Lighter weight will be great too. It's not heavy but it's not light either.
    ...I feel like I'm such a selfish for saying whatever I thought about it:tongue:

9. Zaurak

Yea, I like the previous, simple one, better

10. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm all for passwords so we can reserve usernames... otherwise you might end up with people impersonating others. Not a given but definitely a possibility.

11. Kimi

:eek: Never thought that way!!!!

I guess passwords are great then:thumbsup:

12. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

There is a version of the normal one (Blab) which can use passwords etc. It costs a bit, but I'm happy to pay for it if people like it. See http://hot-things.net/?q=blab

I was trying phpMyChat because Fred seemed to be having a lot of problems with Blab. I don't like it though - Blab is simple and does the job with no fuss - and it doesn't keep flashing the screen!

The link at the top of the page still goes to the Blab one as usual. Now it's on a new server it may work OK again for everyone.

I want to use a browser based chatroom that doesn't require Java or Flash etc to work, so that it is accessible to everyone even if the PC is locked down by parents. This does limit the choice somewhat, but I think easy access is more important than fancy features.

13. Steam Giant

I'd figured that that's why you didn't want to use an IRC web client, and I totally appreciate it ^^ if it were java based, I wouldn't be able to chat at work. Ultimately, as long as we can chat with it, I really don't care what engine we use ^^ but for the record, I really liked the additional features of phpMyChat.

14. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've heard of people blocking Java but never someone blocking Flash... or is the concern that the computer is locked and Flash simply isn't installed?

15. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Huh? Why would an IRC web client have to be Java-based?

16. Steam Giant

Heh, dunno, that's just what all the ones I used were. If it can be done without java, then I totally support it! ^^

17. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

If someone is set up as a normal user and not an administrator on the PC by parents, or there are restrictions applied on a work or school network, it may not be possible for them to install Flash or Java. This is why I want something that will just run in a browser with no messing around. I hate Java anyway, and don't install Sin Java Runtime on my PCs.

IRC with an IRC web client is possible I guess, but it seems over-complicated to me.

I have set up a poll asking which of the two chat systems people prefer, then we can go with the majority. See http://emptyclosets.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1571

18. EthanS

EthanS Guest

GO ON DA FUKING CHATROOM!!!!!!!!:tantrum: soory for my language..:icon_bigg

19. Kimi

I was there yesterday and there was jen I don't know who that was but jen was there.
    She/he doesn't responce to me...I don't know she/he was dead or ignoring me:confused2:
    But you got to stay there while you are at EC and reading some posts...
    And be patient:smilewave

20. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Perhaps Jen was away from his/her computer or had another browser tab/window open? If you have the sound turned down you wouldn't know there was activity there if you don't see it.