1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

At A Crossroads

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Soundofmusic, Jan 8, 2018.

1. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey Soundofmusic, kudos to your mom, that is golden! And I get it, the desire to be with someone, but that someone ought to be special.

There was a great line in a movie, but I can't remember the name of the movie -- I think it was simply a woman's name. The line was something like, "In order to be OK with other people, you have to be OK with yourself".

I couldn't possibly give my spouse a rating from 1 to 10, it was just that we liked doing stuff together. We'd spontaneously go to a restaurant to get a piece of pie, or go on a bike ride, or go roller skating. There was no choir of angels announcing that this was the one, we just like hanging out and we kept on doing that.

I'm thinking of you and sending you good vibes.

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nobody should settle in love. Go find your 10.

Your mum just wants you to be happy deep down. Gay doesn't have to mean no children.

What if you really like men? Do you think this is actually a possibility? I think you are bartering with yourself because you are scared.

LostInDaydreams likes this.
  3. Barbatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd have to agree with @silverhalo about the bartering idea. You seem to feel like this is one and only chance but that is not true. I get that turning 30 is a big deal deal (I've turned 30 last year) but a good exercise is to think about spending 10 years with this guy and whether you would be truly happy.

I would suggest that if you don't have the feelings for him now and if you are having doubts then he is not right for you and you are just going to postpone breaking up with him. If you don't feel strongly about him now then how is that going to form the basis of decades long relationship?

LostInDaydreams and Soundofmusic like this.
  4. Rana

Rana Guest

I agree with @silverhalo ... it sounds like you're bartering with yourself about the guy. I know turning 30 is a milestone so that is most likely added pressure you're putting on yourself to settle. But if I may put in my two cents, please don't settle! I've been there many times, and was even engaged to a lovely man years ago. I couldn't do it, and that was before I knee I was a lesbian. I felt exactly as you do ... I liked the guy maybe about a 5 on a scale of 10. It wasn't good enough because it's the rest of your life! You're still very young & life is long. Don't listen to your insecurities telling you that you're "weird." That will be highly appreciated in a world full of "ordinary." I honestly have a feeling that when you make it to a big urban city with a decent LGBTQ population, you'll be relieved that you didn't settle. You'll be happy, in love, and wondering what would have become of you if you settled. I don't know who these friends are who settled for their husbands. But that's not optimal I think.

Forgive me for so openly expressing my opinion. You must do what feels right for you in the end. I just remembered feeling so similar when I was engaged, and had to tell you.
    ❤️

LostInDaydreams likes this.
  5. Rana

Rana Guest

"knew" not "knee", Lol.

6. Soundofmusic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That sounds lovely. I hope to have that some day.

Thanks for your good vibes.

7. Soundofmusic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know if its actually a possibility. I have thought Ive liked men before, but after evaluating how I felt for my "trigger", nothing compares. But my friends say that my relationship with her can't be compared to any other because it started under the pretense of friendship and I guess they are sort of right. My guards were completely down with her from the very start whereas in any dating scenario, my guards are always up.

The facts are:

- I've never enjoyed sex with a man
    - I have enjoyed kissing men
    - I have never been with a woman intimately
    - I have never been in a real relationship (I've dated guys for 2-3 months and then it fizzles out - usually my fault)\-
    - I have been in love with at least 2 women I can think of
    - I don't think I've ever been in love with a man but I have had great chemistry with men before
    - I never have male celebrity crushes, just female

I know bisexuality is a thing but I'm a very black & white kind of person when it comes to myself. Like I accept all gray areas of life until they relate to me and then I'm all about extremes or opposites. So its hard for me to fathom that Id be somewhere in the middle, though I know its a possibility. I also know Ive had very complicated relationships with male figures in my life (namely my father) and have always been surrounded by amazing matriarchs. Simultaneously, those matriarchs have put soooo much pressure on me to marry a man that I don't know whether it's what I want or what they want for me.

All in all, I'm just very confused and feel like I need to be cleansed of the life-long brain-wash Ive been subjected to so that I can figure out what it is I truly want.

8. Soundofmusic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No apologies needed! I appreciate the opinion and advice. I know deep down what I need to do. But again, I guess my insecurities about no one liking me throughout life are overpowering me because it really feels like this is the last person Ill meet who will be into me (that I'll be into too) just based on what has historically happened in my life... I guess I need to just accept that being alone might be whats in the cards for me and that's ok and better than settling for something that will make me unhappy in the long run...

9. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't talk that much about my girlfriend on here apart from to say I have one because I many people on here are single or in unhappy relationships. I get that something starting as a friendship is more natural to begin with but do you feel like the relationship with the man could ever get to what you had with your trigger? I can't say what other people have in their relationship I can only tell you what I feel. My girlfriend makes me feel like I'm coming home, it wasn't/isn't just the fun stuff we went out and did together but the simplest sitting on the sofa together and holding hands. When she gives me a hug or cuddles me I literally feel all my worries and cares drifting away. She makes me a better person. I couldn't imagine my life with her.

Really, dirtyshirt84 and SevnButton like this.
  10. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It sounds like you definitely prefer women even if you do have some attraction to men. I think if you did get the opportunity of a new job and met some queer friends and got involved in the LGBT community you would feel differently. Easier said than done I know.

And 30 is still so young!! You sound like you are trying to persuade yourself into liking this guy? I understand the pressure of society and friends and family to conform to the heterosexual norm and to get married and have as you say a traditional ‘family’. Would you be truly happy though? I would hate for you not to experience a relationship and intamicy with a women though. And I’m sure this is absolutely not your last chance to find someone, you still have so much of your life ahead of you.

11. Soundofmusic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you talking about your girlfriend is really inspirational. At least, to me it is.
    I've always thought that the way you describe your relationship is the way I should feel. And I know many people who have felt that way.

But I also know many friends who have learned to love their significant others. Of course, it could very well be that those relationships won't last. We're young and not in the divorce phase of life yet lol.

I don't know if I could feel like that with a man. But then again, my experiences with women are LIMITED so I feel like I cant judge much there either.

Honestly, at this point I'm just more and more convinced that I need to leave this island, get away from this pressure and figure my shit out and start accepting that life will look different than what I had planned, and that it might not be a bad thing.

SevnButton likes this.
  12. Soundofmusic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think I would most definitely regret not being with a woman. But I'm also afraid that even if I find myself living in a diff city, Ill end up surrounded by straight people in a straight lifestyle. Logically I know I'm young, but I guess its hard to shake the idea that 30 is my last chance to find a partner because its all ive ever heard. But you are right, I hope its not my last chance.

13. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The main thing I read from this post is that you don't know whether you could feel this way with a man but with a woman you know you could.
    Sure you can learn to love your partner more over time, there are ways I love my girlfriend now that I didn't when we first got together but that feeling she gives me has always been there, the comfort and peace she brings to me.

I think you should put all your efforts into getting off the island, it will always be there to come back to.

Really likes this.
  14. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree 100% with what Soundofmusic said about Silverhalo's post. It's very respectfull to avoid making people feel worse. But we should think of this site as a path to well-being, and positive examples are really helpful.
    At a medical school graduation I heard a speaker telling the new doctors to go hiking, go dancing, go do whatever you need to do to experience life. Because to treat illness, you have to understand life.
    Same thing here. Positive examples help.

Soundofmusic likes this.
  15. Soundofmusic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yes, I don't doubt I like women. I'm just not sure if I can completely rule out men. that's pretty much it.

my best guy friend just moved to Miami and called me to tell me how everything in his life is lining up to be exactly what he wants. Hes getting job offers from his dream companies, meeting guys to date, living in front of the beach, which he loves. and so that makes me think that maybe I just need to leave and see if I find a job once I'm there but THAT is terrifying. maybe I just need to focus on saving up for that

I'm not sure why, but I legit cant stop crying. I feel like I cant breathe. I'm so overwhelmed. Its a feeling I haven't had since before I came out. I'm having panic attacks daily. I cant get a hold of my emotions...

16. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Could you find some kind of therapy?

I think it's because you feel so overwhelmed and torn between what to do. Maybe if you could establish some kind of plan of action it might you feel a bit less overwhelmed.

17. Soundofmusic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do go to therapy! Monthly. I tried getting an appointment with my psychiatrist this week but he's super booked. And I can't go more often than that because he's so expensive (but generally very effective - I've gotten better. this has just been a setback).

I'm definitely overwhelmed. Hopefully next week in my appointment he can help me sort this out.

Thanks!!

18. Soundofmusic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just got a call that my therapist has an opening tonight. IM SO HAPPY.

I made him a diagram of my feelings lmao he is gonna be like :astonished:

19. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh cool I'm glad you could get in, I'm sure he can help you. Let us know how it goes.

20. Soundofmusic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Saw my therapist for 2hrs yesterday and I have to say, I feel better.

I made him a huge diagram of all my feelings and he said I need to focus on one thing at a time, which is easier said than done. But he asked that I focus on the job search and meanwhile, keep hanging out with this guy as a friend without any pretenses and when I get a job (UGH I NEED THIS TO HAPPEN ASAP), I can give him the walking papers.

Thank you all for supporting me through this mini-breakdown.