1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

At A Crossroads

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Soundofmusic, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Soundofmusic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel like I've probably posted something similar to this in the past, but I haven't written here in a while so here's what's up:

As many of you might know, I've been looking for jobs in the US (particularly NYC) for a while. Well, I have a pending job offer in Philadelphia for an awesome ad agency. It's not exactly what I'm looking for but it might be a good stepping stone. They already said they'll hire me but are figuring out which role I'm a best fit for.

Meanwhile, back at home, I get more attached to the life I lead every day. I hang out with my friends and sit in my living room, and visit my grandparents, and I think "how can I possibly leave all of this behind". But then I look at my career and I know I need to leave in order to continue growing.

My dilemma is this:
    1. Staying where I am: On the one hand, I love my current life in most aspects. It's comfortable and full of friends and family who love me. But my career won't develop, I don't like my job, and my love-life is just UGH. I've been dating a guy throughout the holidays and while he is cute and friendly, I just don't find myself going out of my way to make plans with him. But I know he really likes me and if I wanted to settle down, have kids, and have the cookie cutter life all my friends have at home (which tempts me so much), then I could surely do it with him....
    2. Moving to the USA: This would mean I have a better chance to grow my career, stimulate my brain and escape the societal constraints I've grown up in. I have some friends in Philadelphia and NYC, but nothing like I do at home. I'd essentially be moving alone. Starting over. BUT HERE'S WHAT IM MOST AFRAID OF: I know that moving to the states affords me the capacity to explore my sexuality more. But I'm such a scaredy-cat that I'm afraid I wont ever actually do anything about it, even though I'm pretty much out to everyone.

So first, I need to choose if I'll move or not. Second, I also think I need to figure out why I'm so afraid of being with people romantically/sexually.

That's all. Happy New Year!

2. Barbatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Soundofmusic,

Not sure if you want/are looking for a reply but I thought I'd comment if that's ok.

First,well done on the job offer. It sounds like an exciting opportunity. Second, the lure of what we know is a big thing. I've kinda done things the other way round from you. I have moved around a lot and had to 'start fresh' regularly and now I'm settled (single but enjoying my social and work live etc).

However, moving around a lot has been a great experience. I'm much more confident in new situations, meeting new people, deal with the unexpected and coping with a wide variety of personalities and circumstances. So don't underestimate what you will learn by moving somewhere else and having to meet new people and make new friends. I also have a job that I love so that makes a big difference from the situation you describe where your social life is great but you don't like your job.

Also bear in mind that while moving to the US is dependent on having a job, moving back home is not. So you could go to the US and if you find after a couple of months, a year, 5 years or 10 years that you wanted to go home (assuming you do not lose you current nationality from being outside the country too long) it would be easier going back than staying now and needing another opportunity to come up.

I'm certainly not telling what to do or anything, only you can decide what its best for you right now. A new opportunity will always provoke anxiety and sticking with what we know if extremely tempting. But don't pass up an opportunity that you sound very excited about - particularly for what others expect of you regarding love life etc (sorry if that is a bit presumptuous).

Anyway, just a few thoughts.

#2 Barbatus, Jan 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    mnguy, Rana and Soundofmusic like this.
  3. Soundofmusic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you! That makes a lot of sense. I have US citizenship so that wouldn't be a problem. You are right, I can come back home whenever.

Ive moved around before and have been able to make friends in the past. I just always forget that. But your comment reminded me that if Ive done it before, surely I can do it again.

Rana likes this.
  4. Barbatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh well if you have US citizenship then you have even more freedom of movement that I thought. I'm glad my comments were helpful and I wish you all the best with whatever you decide to do. :slight_smile:

Rana and Soundofmusic like this.
  5. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey sound of music...Happy New Year!

I think it sounds like a great opportunity so I’m going to have to favour option 2 (of course, it’s entirely your decision).

Travelling and getting to live in and experience new places is hands down the best thing I ever done.

If it doesn’t work out you can always move back home again, all your friends and family will still be there. You can also visit on holidays etc.

Regarding your sexuality, being properly vulnerable is scary. However, it’s absolutely worth it.

I guess something to ask yourself is - will you regret it if you don’t take this opportunity?

Soundofmusic and LostInDaydreams like this.
  6. HelpLOL

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Basically what he said ^
    I left home when I was 18, started in florida and now I live in Cali..I've lived in many states in between and overall it's been a very positive thing. I have a few places i've lived that when I'm done moving around I might want to end up. That and I really love seeing different parts of the US, the different kinds of landscapes. So my vote is go for it. :slight_smile: and good luck, not saying it's easy but I think it's worth it.

Soundofmusic likes this.
  7. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do it :slight_smile:

Haha sorry couldn't resist.

I think you have more to lose by not trying. If you go and hate it you can always come home, it will still all be there waiting for you. Well maybe not the guy but I think we both know that's not what you want just what you wish you wanted.

Rana likes this.
  8. Soundofmusic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think I definitely will! But I'm also afraid I'll regret never having a "traditional" family. Does that resonate with any of you?

#8 Soundofmusic, Jan 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  9. Soundofmusic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah definitely what I wish I wanted. And I SOOO wish I wanted it. I want to want it haha

Well, I'll wait for the job offer and see.

10. Soundofmusic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you all for your replies.

My biggest worries have been regarding friends, I guess, but when I look back on my life, I can see that in all new chapters I've been able to make significantly great friend groups. So I shouldn't be afraid of that.

I guess what most worries me is that I will find myself being deathly afraid of being with a woman... or not exploring the right avenues to do it (meaning, going to meetups or LGBT bars/coffee shops - both NYC & Philly seem to have plenty of those...) Have any of you faced something similar?

HelpLOL likes this.
  11. idsm

Yes.

#11 idsm, Jan 9, 2018
    Soundofmusic likes this.
  12. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh absolutely it will be scary but I know you can do it and that what you are imagining is so much worse than it will be.

Look I hear you, I have an amazing girlfriend and I can still have a moment (although not very often) where I'm just like I so wish I was straight. But I think what you are longing is a connection rather than a traditional family and a true connection you will only find with a woman.

Soundofmusic likes this.
  13. Barbatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Soundofmusic,

Yes, that does resonate. I think we all wonder about the 'traditional' family as it is instilled in us early on that a 'family' is a mum, dad and children. But that notion of family, while still dominant, no longer holds the sway it does. And throughout history families have rarely been the ideal - think of single mothers, orphans, single fathers, adopted children, children raised by grandparents and uncles. I don't know if it would help but you could do some reading upon the historical development of a family.

Regardless, I would suggest you think about whether you really want a traditional family. Can you imagine years spent with a man? I certainly could imagine being (by which I mean having a sexual, romantic, couple-life) with a woman for any amount of time let alone potentially a lifetime. And by imagine yourself, I mean would you be happy with that or would always want to explore your life with a woman?

That's not to say that wanting to have the traditional family is wrong or irrational, it's a very strong social expectation but it should not rule your life.

Hope you hear about the job offer soon.

#13 Barbatus, Jan 9, 2018
    SevnButton likes this.
  14. HelpLOL

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My two cents on the traditional family, If you know you're gay or feel you might be you should probably hold off making a family with a guy. lol Really tho, if you want little people around there is no reason you can't have kids with out a guy. Find the person that makes you happy then make a family with that person. From what I've seen from my wife and from other peoples stories on here is that Questioning while being married might work for awhile. You might even be passable happy ish... And even that's pretty hard. It's just not set up to win. The more my wife questioned, the more we drifted, the more we drifted the more unhappy we became, the more unhappy she was the more she questioned. Fun cycle right there.. :/
    So my advice about traditional families... Make a family that's happy and you're doing better than traditional :slight_smile:

About being with a women, you owe it to yourself and to any future kids to figure out what makes you happy. Then just build a family around that. :slight_smile:

SevnButton likes this.
  15. YeahpIdk

I agree with the many here. It’s scary and overwhelming. You may even want to pull your hair out after a few days/weeks/months, but you *can ****always go back home.

I used to live a few hours from Philly and have family/some friends who live there. They LOVE it. It’s a super cool little city. And there’s def a big queer scene there.

You need to do it!

There’s that saying like, “if it scares you, do it.”

You can always go back to your old life, that you’re having premature nostalgia over right now, and you’ve been complaining about, on here, for years.

While we’re talking about sayings, let us not forget the zillion there are about staying “comfortable.” In your comfort zone. Where dreams die.

And you sound bored af with that guy. Definitely not a good example of a person to build a whole “straight” life with — for more “comfort.”

16. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, from the perspective of giving it up. I have moments where I wonder why I'm thinking about giving it all up. However, it's not the 'easy' option. I agree with @HelpLOL on drifting apart, that's essentially what's happened in my relationship. It's hard work having children, and it's even harder parenting with someone who you aren't completely happy with. When you've only had 3-4 hours sleep per night for weeks on end, and you barely leave the house because it takes about an hour to get everything ready, so the only person you speak to most days is your partner, then it really helps if you're completely happy with them. It's easy to fall into a cycle of negative thoughts and resentment.

17. HelpLOL

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I agree with lost, a lot of the cracks in our marriage first started when we had kids. All that adjusting to being a parent, it's stressful, and if there is a problem buried in your relationship it will come up. That's why my advice is to find someone that makes you happy. Family can be hard, you need a good relationship with your partner to make it work. For my wife, I think she's glad we ended up having our two children, but if she had to do it again... I think she would of preferred to not have kids with someone of a different sexual preference. Nothing against me, but I can't fulfill her romantic needs and the family needs.

Soundofmusic and LostInDaydreams like this.
  18. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I completely agree with this. It's easy to coast along when there's just the two of you, but not so when you've got children in the mix.

I'm very glad I've got my daughter and I wouldn't change that for anything, but sharing that experience with my partner was not what I'd imagined or would have liked it to be. To a point, some of that just comes down to who my partner is and that can't be controlled, but our communication, etc. isn't good. We don't function well together, we don't help each other, etc. It feels like a competition a lot of the time. It just doesn't work.

Soundofmusic likes this.
  19. Soundofmusic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I love Philly actually. I went to college there! So I've lived for 4 years there and I'm pretty familiar, though I lived in the suburbs so the city life would be new for me (though I also lived in Madrid and it doesn't get more city than that haha)

But moving now would be under a sort of different pretense. You are right though, dreams die in the comfort zone. And so do my brain cells.

I'm pretty bored with him, for no obvious reason other than I'm probably gay lol because hes actually really interesting *shrugs*. We would make cute kids though haha

20. Soundofmusic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can imagine it in the sense that where I'm from, life is SO traditional that I feel like any other kind of non-heteronormative life would make me feel super left out. And the thought of not fitting in with my family/friends scares me shitless. I know they'd accept me but I also know they'd be disappointed. For instance, my mother is DYING to have grandchildren. And while I know that being with a woman doesn't mean I won't have kids, it'll probably take longer than if I just settle for a man. But I also really fear the idea of settling into a life that isn't what I want deep down. That's partly why I'm trying to move. Because societal pressures where I live are CONSTANT. Just this month I've had 2 baby showers, 2 bridal showers and 1 wedding. And I have 5 more weddings coming up this year and a ton of friends who are pregnant. I'm surrounded by babies and it just really makes me want one. I go to all of these events on my own (out of choice - I could invite the guy) and get sooo sad when I think about the fact that this might never be my life because I don't really like men... UGHHH

I would definitely regret never trying it out with a woman. I know I can't just jump into a hetero relationship, as much as I may try to will myself to.

Honestly this is a long rant but the point is, if I don't leave this island soon, I'm gonna give into the pressure.