1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody born as a premature baby?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by EmmettBlack, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Minamimoto_Fan

I was born 5 weeks early and was 9lbs 2 ounces. Other than asthma, which I inherited from my father, I had no major health issues until I turned thirteen and was diagnosed with SVT. The SVT was a relatively quick fix though, some beta blockers and a surgery later it's like I never had it

2. RainbowBright

Born two weeks late actually, but a twin (very rare for twins to go past due date). My brother got all the food (like in life), and I was only 4lbs. 2oz. Had jaundice as a baby and was losing weight, was in the hospital for a few weeks until my irresponsible mother took me home against hospital urging. I do have health problems, but all of them are genetic, or due to childhood abuse. Nevertheless I am thriving, so it is not so much about what you are given, but what you do with it!

A friend was born at 6 mos. and has Cerebral Palsy, she believes due to the mistakes doctors made in her delivery. She also is doing well and is brilliant with a top academic career, despite using a wheelchair. Make the most of what you have, we are not promised anything in life!

3. samizer0313

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My sister was born premature (2 weeks) because the umbilical cord was starting to wrap around her neck and the doctor was not going to be their on her original due date (Christmas) so my mom had her early. The only health complications she has had was yellow skin when she was born and diabetes (but that probably isn't related to her birth)

4. Cait

Out Status:
    All but family
    I was born two months early and weighed 3 pounds and I was half the length of my mums forearm. I spent two months in an incubator. I have OCD, I am dyslexic and I have an anxiety disorder.

5. Oxelotl

I was 2 months premature, born in February, due at April. I think I was born by C-Section, not 100% sure. Basically my mum was really sick and if she didn't have me I'd die, and I think at one stage I literally killed her.so yeah. She likes to bring that one up. As far as I know though I have no long term effects. Low Self esteem, self loathing and possible depression. But I don't think that's a cause of prematurity is it.

6. Ohhai

I was born at 33 weeks weighing 4lb 4. No problems. I was small for my age though for a long time xx

7. Sunshine Cries

I was born 3 1/2 weeks early. I don't have any lung complications due to being raised in Colorado (yay! Altitude!), but I do have low amounts of cartilage in my knees, and some of my tendons aren't completely developed.
    At the same time though, I'm also very built. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this more genetic than related to the fact that I was born premature?

8. GayNerd

Actually, I was born 4 days overdue. I weighed 8 pounds 5 ounces (I think).

9. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No. I was on time, weighing 8 lbs., but didn't turn out to be a big tall guy in the end. LOL.

I have a friend whose wife had twins. They were quite early. They're doing great in good colleges.

10. FightingShadows

I was born three months early. Weighed 2lbs, 2 oz. Had heart surgery, had the breathing tube, feeding tube...was in the NICU uh...5 months I think. Was told that due to being so small and premature, the oxygen was making my retinas deteriorate and I almost went blind and was actually due for surgery on my eyes but the retinas started to strengthen again. But I think that may be the reason why I need glasses today. What I find interesting is that I have a scar on my back (from the heart surgery) in the shape of a W and W is the first letter of my last name :slight_smile:

11. DannyBoi66

Universe, Milky Way, Solar System, Earth, England
    I was born 5 weeks early. :slight_smile: I weighed about 2 pounds 4 Ounces. :slight_smile: I was also Very Cute. :icon_mrgr

12. tallygirl1128

My brother and I were born two months early. We were supposed to be triplets but ended up as twins. I was born at 2lbs 13oz and my brother was over 3lbs. I was born deaf but we didn't learn this until I was three. My brother had gastrointestinal problems that have actually made it so that he doesn't gain weight very quickly and can eat anything. Neither of us have more mental problems than anyone else. :slight_smile:

13. TheMightyBoosh

I was born 3 months premeture and weighed 1lb and had a really tough time breathing..... when I came out *eeeughh* I was blue and looked like a Smurf haha! :roflmao: aawh I was a Smurf!! I was one awesome kid then! :grin:
    [​IMG]
    But I had quite a few issues as a prem baby. I had trouble eating, gaining weight... breathing and I have dealt and dealing with mental health issues but I don't think that is linked but just throwing it out there. I had and still have some seperation anxiety from my mum. I dealt with phenomia a few times and when I was a toddler I got a disease called Kawasaki disease if you want to read a bit about it I will put the link in.... Kawasaki disease - NHS Choices

I think that's all I can think of, of the top of my head..... yup c:

14. Strathclyder

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was born prematurely. Don't know how far off the intended birth-date I was (haven't asked my mum about it yet), but I do have the scars from the breathing tubes. I don't know if my asthma is in any way related to it, as that propped up later in life.

15. Kenny207

I was born about 2 and a half months early...weigh about 2lbs...

16. Haze

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I was born six weeks premmy. It almost killed us both. They were calling my mother's closest relatives to come say goodbye because they thought she only had 24 hours left. We both survived and are fine, by the way.
    I don't know my exact weight but my dad could fit his wedding ring around my wrist, and that was after I came out of the incubator. So far the only health complication I've encountered is an immune deficiency. I'm currently in my teens and according to my doctor I have the immune system of a 70 year old.

17. GirlWhoWaited

I was about 6 weeks early. I weighed 5 1/2 lbs. My lungs were a tad underdeveloped, and I was a bit blue from making a noose out of my umbilical cord. I still have breathing problems, anxiety, and a weak immune system. The good news...I learned my lesson, and have been late to everything since. :wink:

18. DrkRayne

I was!!! 10 weeks early I think...maybe more. i was born in later October and was supposed to be born in January. My mom had no fluid in her womb or something.
    I was 2lbs 6oz and could fit in my dads hands.
    They said I wouldn't be able use a bottle, and I'd have development issues and learning problems.
    None of that came true. I have an IQ of 147 and actually skipped a grade in school.All I have is asthma and stupid bad allergies.

Sadly my family STILL took pictures when I was born. I looked like a little rat and had tubes in me. I was small and brown and had no hair. When they took me home they dressed me in doll clothes because I was too small for real clothes
    I didnt get cute till about 6 months old. I was UGLY

#58 DrkRayne, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  19. khwactja82

I was born about 14-15 weeks early, about 1.5 lbs. (750-800g), spent about 10-11 months in an incubator (my temp. control and sensors are extremely sensitive), with oxygen bottles for 2 years after hospital,

the drugs given to me included aldactone 25 (about 100 mg/day for 3 years), lasix, furosemide and corticosteroids amongst others, also had a PDA (patent ductus arteriosis - the heart operation to close the internal flap), had breathing tubes - have scarring too, oxygen bottles, a nebuliser that i still have with me wherever i live (on the off chance i need it - drs. always ask where i got it from)., now have husky smoky voice, cerebral vocal palsy (one half of my vocal chord is paralysed), light asthma (even though i smoke cigs like a chimney) and now have oestrogen deficiency too (hormones out of balance) as described in the next bit,

Due to all the drugs wearing off i got mentally disconnected at age 6-7 when i had an asthma attack, everything went backwards, got anxiety, lethargy, PTSD, i also got night sweats, hot and cold flushes, irritability (sounds familiar to a post menopausal woman but not someone born with guy bits who is 10% of around 60 years of age); i recently read my medical notes and saw the drugs used and then i realised why i was having those symptoms, have always questioned my 'being male''- never felt right,

once i took a whole card of estrogen (progynova 2mg/tab), that caused my brain to relax, the energy to go to my body and for the whole of me to work as a 'whole' - people thought i was on methamphetamine (the buzz lasted 3 weeks) because i was a lot faster (and accurate) than when my testosterone was in control, i also slept better too and at the right times,

am now inter gender/two-spirit in the brain, born physically like a male/female intertwined (may have female bits internally i don't know of yet), i'm skinny and don't put much if any weight on (am only 66 kg) due to my metabolism being super quick and i have to watch what i eat (too many chemicals in our foods, i'm sensitive to them too), if you'd like any more info please message me :slight_smile:

#59 khwactja82, Jan 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  20. EttyT

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I was born 9 weeks premature, 3lbs 10 or there abouts. I had tubes up my nose for a bit, stayed in hospital for a while but no further complications.