1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody born as a premature baby?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by EmmettBlack, Feb 27, 2012.

1. EmmettBlack

Hey guys I'm just curious to know if any of you out there were born prem? And if you had any complications growing up and in adulthood, whether they be physical, mental or both?
    I had under developed and deflated lungs, and they had to remove half my liver. I had slight brain haemeraging which lead to me being ADHD and Dyscalculic apparently (although evidence suggests now both can be hereditary)

I was born in Australia in 1987 at 25 weeks (just a touch over half cooked) weighed 500 grams and was the size of a can of coke, I was a very lucky baby! Any other lucky ones? :slight_smile:

2. LailaForbidden

I was borrn 3 and a half months early. 1.5 pounds (i'm not sure what the conversion is in kg...) but after a three month stay in the pre-natal unit i came out mostly healthy. No complications, no surgeries. Although my throat is a bit scarred due to the breathing tube being too big for my tiny throat :slight_smile: but despite all that, i'm really a lucky girl considering i was the size of an adult's hand.

3. Fiddledeedee

I wasn't premature but my brother was, though only by three weeks. He hasn't suffered any complications that we can tell.

4. EmmettBlack

I had the breathing tube like you :slight_smile: They pierced my voicebox by accident so I have a bit of a husky-smoke voice now lol.

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like fiddle's sibling, I was a few weeks early. In fact, my two siblings were mildly premature as well. No real effects to speak of.

Lex

6. Mogget

I was seven weeks premature, my mother almost miscarried me and almost died.

7. squally89

I was born in 6 months. I had asthma when I was younger.
    Do not have any complications except that.

8. i was born at 26 weeks.
    when i was younger like i literally had tonsilitus (sp?) every other week until i was about 10 and ive had various mental health problems.
    not too sure if any of it is related.

9. adam88

I was like a month preemy - I think my mother had Mono at the time so that's why they yanked me out early. No complications that can be traced to that, though.

10. Koll

My mother was due sometime in late march (around the 30th or so) but I was born on the 8th, so a few weeks early.

I had jaundice and mucus in my lungs. 5lbs, 10oc.

Other than that, I guess I was fine.

11. EmmettBlack

Wow. . makes me so happy to know that despite big and small complications, we all made it :slight_smile:

This is amazing - I found out 2 days ago that my own Doctor was born in Russia back in the 1950's at 26 weeks prem, was pronounced dead, and taken to the morgue - only to be found 2 days later by a mortician crying louder than any baby he'd ever heard!! (she's tough as an old boot with the bedside manner of a grizzly bear, but my god she's got a sense of humour!)

12. Rosina

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wanted to come out three months early. There were complications with placenta previa, which meant that I would have bled both my mother and me to death doing so. So they decided to shoot a load of steroids into my mother (and therefore me) so that if I did have to be c-sectioned, I'd be able to make it. I had enough two months later and decided that I really REALLY wanted to come out (had to be c-sectioned, naturally) so I was a month early all told. So in that sense, there's one major complication in that I've always had pretty large and defined muscle tone, which is only kept that way as I sure has hell spent all my free time outside running around when I was younger and, as getting older, being heavily involved in sports. That and I've got very mild asthma, to the point where I just breathe noticeably heavier when I exert myself compared to others but no other problems other than that.

My brother was pretty premature (I forget how much by) but he was tiny, had to be kept in an incubator and had mucus in his lungs. He was C-sectioned too. But we both made it :grin:

That's a pretty incredible story, thank God we babies have (usually) a good set of lungs!

13. csm123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was due on march 19th and born on january 19th weighing 2.2 pounds.I was said to be lucky to survive back in 1968 before they had all the high tech equipment to run the incubaters they have in maternity wards today.

I dont think i have any side effects of being premature.

After reading how many early babies we have on here,i now begin to wonder if homosexuality is maybe a much higher risk in premature births.

14. cheshire

Out Status:
    Some people
    I was born 2 months earlier than I had to.
    I don't have any complications I think.

15. I was born a month early.
    When I was a baby I had to have a heart/breathing monitor and stuff, but I don't think there were any effects from being a premie after that. My lungs were just underdeveloped and I would sometimes forget to breathe.

I'm fine now though, not any mental or physical problems to speak of that I can really attribute to being born early.

16. mischa91

Don't think i was born early, my mam's very vague when i ask her about these things; but i am a twin and there were complications as a result of that. My brother was born weighing 8lbs something and i was just a tad over 4lbs, he got to go home and i spent almost 3 months in the hospital.

Other than being short i don't think there were any complications to my being a tiny baby, oh and my mam told me she told the Dr that i looked more like a monkey than a baby so couldn't possibly be hers. Nice.

17. Wellie Boots

Out Status:
    Some people
    I was born 3 months early through a c section beacause of complications that had something to do with the fact we were triplets. I had alot of problems for a while after I was born, but nothing that has lasted.

18. Wolfy

I was born on time. My brother had to be taken out early with a C-section though since he decided to choke himself with his umbilical cord.

19. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was born eight/nine weeks early. I never had any complications and health problems from it. :slight_smile:

20. Kso1995

i was born 3 weeks early but my mom tells me it could have been sooner but the doctor prescribed her some kind of medication so she wouldnt have me too early.