1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody born as a premature baby?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by EmmettBlack, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Moondustlady

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    almost 2 months early, breathing tubes and stuff. My lungs collapsed, and I have some mild scarring from that. I've has breathing issues and allergies, some asthma as a kid, and was very susceptible to strep until they took my tonsils out. I have some eyesight issues, but nothing too terrible. I think any other issues I've had are hereditary not due to being premie.

2. fragomatrick

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was a premature baby. But I was fine for a few months. Then I almost died of dehydration
    COZ MY FAMILY WAS TOO BUSY CELEBRATING THE BIRTH OF THE NEW BORN INSTEAD OF , I DONT KNOW, GIVING HIM WATER.
    Sigh
    Sometimes I feel weird in life. Then, I don't ! Is it a premature baby thing?!

3. DJNay

From Joburg, SA but now live in Brisbane, Aus
    My twin sister and i were born 2 months premature, by emergency C-section because the umbilical cord was around my neck, i only weighed 950grams, and had to stay in an incubator for 2 months. Like you I have ADD, but my sister doesnt, she only had astma growing up.

4. NickD

Let's see, I was actually 5 days late but I was breeched and had the umbilical cord wrapped around my neck. I wasn't breathing when I was born and obviously had to stay in the infant ICU after they revived me.

Physically, I have a Bicuspid Aortic Valve Disorder and have struggled with anxiety issues. I doubt how/when I was born has anything to do with it though. I'm just me!

5. Valeyard

I was born three months early, and had asthma until I was about ten. No mental problems, I think.

6. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was born one week early if that counts, I was supposed to be due on my mom's birthday but I was a week early. Although I'm not sure if a 10lbs baby is premature

7. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

I was suppose to be a Turkey baby but was born a little bit before Halloween...No complications that I know of, except that my eye doctors think the oxygen may have caused the hole in my retina/ my cataracts...Not sure which one it was they said it could have caused/how that would work...Idk and personally Idc my vision is not that bad. (Yet.)

8. snowflurry

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was born about a month early- so I was only 5 and a half pounds or so. I don't think it's really affected me that much, except that I'm still shortish for my age.

9. Ryesright

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    32 weeks, 2 pounds 7 ounces.

10. Phoenix91

I was actually the opposite. I did not want to leave my mothers womb LOL. I was running late, plus doctors discovered the umbilical cord was wrapped around my neck and i was facing the wrong way. How did they solve this or try to ... the hung my mom upside down by the legs. I did get flipped but the umbilical cord was still wrapped around my neck. Doctors ended up having to do C-Section on my mother. Than because my mothers and fathers blood are not compatible I was born yellow and doctors wanted to drain me and transfuse my fathers blood into me. Fortunately my parents said No to that one. It was believed because of all my issues i would either not make it or be retarded. Well I proved them wrong :slight_smile: The only sideeffects i would say of my birth was that growing up i was a very sickly child. I grew out of that and now im healthy no physical or mental issues. Sadly I can't credit my shortness to my birth :frowning2: thats already in my genes.

11. Ianthe

I was 7 weeks premature.

I also have AD/HD (primarily inattentive type). I have an aunt who is also diagnosed with AD/HD (she has the impulsive/hyperactive symptoms I don't) and my father has milder versions of my own symptoms, but he is not diagnosed and is in denial about it. (He does drink about ten caffeinated sodas a day, though, self medicating.) So, that supports genetics.

However, my symptoms are more severe and my functioning more impaired than either of theirs, and I believe that that is because of the premature birth. AD/HD is a developmental disorder in which development of some parts of the brain is delayed, and it makes sense that premature birth would exacerbate the problem, compounding a genetic disorder with more delays in development.

I also have allergies and very sensitive skin, which both also correlate to premature birth. As a baby I had chronic ear infections. I have hearing loss in one ear, which may be because of the ear infections or because of a fever or because of the premature birth--no one can be sure, as it was not noticed until I was 7.

I do NOT believe that homosexuality is related to premature birth. It is not a form of brain damage. And since being gay is not something wrong with anyone, I don't really think someone can be "at risk" of it.

12. Mobiusponder

I think I was premature, with the umbilical cord wrapped around my neck. But I haven't had many complications.

13. Nykoru

Out Status:
    Some people
    I was over two weeks late, and then had to be booted out with drugs because my parents were getting impatient XD

And then I had the gall to actually pop out while my mom was out of town. ^.=.^

My oldest sister was a few weeks early and yellow (not a blood type thing; both she and my mom are A+, and my dad's AB+), and my slightly-less-older sister was on time, but huge (and now short and skinny) and sickly until her tonsils came out.

14. Fairybread

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was almost born early, but ended up three weeks late, with the umbilical cord rind my ankles. Emergency C-section because I was pronounced dead before I was born. No health issues linked to my birth though. I was born yellow with jaundice, though.

My sister was born a few weeks early, and spent a while in neo-natal; she kept stopping breathing. Don't really know much else, I was only two and a half then. But she's got no health problems linked to that now (as a 14 year old girl with an attitude)

15. KittyBoy

Both my brother and I were born prematurely by exactly two weeks. Though my brother was undersized, whereas I was oversized :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: We both have asthma, though mine is worse and his lungs are weaker. I have sleep apnea which I was diagnosed with as at two months old. However our Mother was born over two months early, very small and frail, and ended up having to be hooked up to all sorts of medical machinery for the first 8 months of her life. Physicians at the time of her birth said that she wouldn't survive the first week of her life because of her size...

16. dschneider13

I was supposed to be born in march but i was born in december. I was 2 pounds along with my sister, i dont know the specifics of how she died, but she died and she was my twin. I've always been curious about the affects it has as you grow up. I have the most picky eating habits that i've ever known of and i want to know if anyone else is an extremely picky eater. I don't eat fruits or vegetables and mostly eat the same things everyday.
    Respond so i can compare and not feel so left out all the time and become less curious
    :slight_smile:

17. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i was 2 months early. i have a couple of pretty minor health problems. i dont know or care if they're related.

18. Isabelle

I was five weeks premature

19. Renge

I was born 3 months early through c section but it could have 4 months early but the doctor said to my mom that she had to hold on for 2 weeks more. I don't have any complication but i'm just way toooo thin that even i want to get fat a little, i can't -_-

20. Gold Griffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I was only premature by a month, so I didn't really have any problems.