1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can gay and straight men be true friends?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Joe2001, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I just personally think it would make things more awkward. It's not as if a gay couple and straight couple would double date, for instance.

#81 Joe2001, May 7, 2018
    Last edited: May 7, 2018
  2. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Joe, I hate to say it, but you come across as a complete heterophobe.

How would you feel if you heard a straight man saying things like "oh I could never be friends with a gay guy, they're too feminine and they make me feel uncomfortable. They're nothing like us straights, they should stick their own kind, and we should stick to our own kind."

Your attitude is perpetuating this barrier between gay men and straight men, when there are many straight men out there who are totally fine with gay guys and are happy for us that we are expressing and exploring our sexualities without giving into the fear that we will be discriminated against. You are giving into the fear. Living in fear that a straight guy will turn against you if he sees you with a boyfriend. I find your way of thinking much more worrisome than how straight men will react to seeing me with a another gay guy.

Please open up your mind and get some fucking life experience.

3. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wouldn't swear at you, so don't swear at me please.
    I don't know if you saw that post a few days ago where I linked that video and said that I related to what the gay guy said and would actually like to push out of my comfort zone and make a straight friend. If so many of them weren't so blokeish, I would try a bit harder. I haven't met the right ones yet and haven't got a clue where they would be.

#83 Joe2001, May 7, 2018
  4. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    FWIW, I'm convinced that there are straight guys out there who would be fine with it, just not the ones that I know (I don't think my dad and his friends or the school rugby team would be OK with it).

I suppose having some feminine characteristics doesn't help in that regard though.

#84 Joe2001, May 7, 2018
  5. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've done that several times.

I'm just not entirely sure where you're getting these assumptions. You clearly haven't had much experience in romantic life. I would just be far less focused on discovering prescriptive rules that govern social behaviour and actually just see what living life leads to. You'll probably get more knowledge that way anyway, as well as finding out you can make friendships you might preclude yourself from touching.

6. Limiteded

Limiteded Guest

Personally I’ve enjoyed havving the gay friends I have had down through the years. They always seem to have a witty personality and are fun to hang out with.

7. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I couldn't do that either. There are a lot of those men who do that but have other social interests you through which you might befriend them. There are also a lot of men who are straight and fairly traditionally masculine who do not conform to the pattern you identify as typically masculine behaviour, which I'd note is fairly limited to Anglo, working class, white men.

I'm just not sure what you're trying to get out of this process. Every time a way for you to befriend people is suggested, you dismiss its possibility or utility.

#87 Aussie792, May 7, 2018
  8. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I obviously don't know everyone's specific interests, but it seems as if that's all that my dad and his friends are interested in- drink beer and watch football. All are straight, blokeish men.

I have had bad experiences with straight guys in the past, so maybe my viewpoints are skewed. I wish that I would come across that straight guy that would restore my faith in them.

9. Isaacsolomon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I get that you're worried about making new friends when you go to uni. And I'm guessing you're worried about homophobia from straight guys, or discovering they're homophobic after they seemed nice at first, based on your experiences with your dad and the shool rugby team. Sure, when I was at school there was a lot of casual homophobia thrown around. At university there was far less, and I had the option of avoiding people I didn't like!

I loved being able to make gay friends since leaving school, or even on forums ... it's great. That said, a good bit of general advice to making friends is that common interests do bring people together. So a club or society based around something you like doing ... is great, right? And some of those people might be straight guys whom you get along with, and who aren't jackasses. One of my best friends is a cishet guy I keep in touch with from uni, and he's one of the kindest, sweetest people ever.

I personally don't think you're a 'heterophobe' - this is an LGBTQ forum, if you can't vent your grievances here, where can you? That said, when you're out and about in the 'real world', good advice (which I'd tell *anyone*, not just you) is to not make too many snap assumptions about new people. A straight guy won't necessarily be a 'blokeish' (do you mean 'homophobic'?) guy, or like football or beer, any more than a gay guy will necessarily be into fashion. Some are, some aren't, the best way to find out is to keep an open mind! And of course, there's nothing wrong with anyone liking football, beer or fashion.
    Thanks for reading this. Hope it was clear, I tend to ramble on here.

10. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've actually done this a lot myself. The thing is, Joe, you just come off as really immature. Now that's alright given that you're like 14 right? You also seem to have unusually limited life experience--again, that's alright given your age. But you seem to feel that you've got it all figured out based on that very limited life experience--which comes off as really immature. Hopefully as you gain a little more experience you'll see that the world's a big place full of all sorts of people and you'll be able to sit back and enjoy the ride a bit. It's a great ride and, in my experience, part of what makes it a great ride is that it's an unpredictable ride.

11. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not 14, I'm 16. You are right that I am a bit naive, but with my limited life experience, that is all that I can judge on. I wish that I could say that life is a great ride, it hasn't really been for a few years.

12. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for your advice. No worries, as I like to ramble a bit as well.
    Not just at uni (which I may or may not decide to go to), I want to get a social circle in my last year of HS as well. I've had 0 friends for about 5 years now and am really in need of them.

I am in no way writing off straight guys and just hope that I can find the right ones. Maybe I will meet them via a club, as a lot seem to suggest that.

There isn't really such thing as being a heterophobe as I never stated that I hate straight people, but am rather tentative about making friends with them, based on what I have seen. By blokeish, think about "lad culture" and the sorts of behavior that they display. Nothing against them as people, but they aren't compatible with me as friends. You are right that not all straight men are beer drinkers and football worshippers, but I am yet to meet many who aren't.

Also, I have some feminine characteristics which can hold me back in terms of making straight male friends.

#92 Joe2001, May 7, 2018
  13. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's not only blokeish men that are the problem. There is a guy who isn't particularly blokeish (one of the really socially awkward types) but treats me very badly and claims to be my "friend". He didn't say anything when I came out but seems to think that I am totally weird if I act a bit gayer than I did before (being myself). He says he isn't gay, so that is a further bad experience with a straight guy tainting my opinion of them.

14. hyphybum

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Let me put it this way;

Same reason why straight men and straight woman can’t be friends.

15. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    They can be friends, it just comes down to personality and interests which tend to differ when it comes to different genders and sexualities.

16. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I fail to see how sexuality would preclude anyone from being friends with anyone else. I have met people of various sexualities and consider them my friends but I only closely interact with one person who identifies as bi. That's it. Everyone else I know is straight. If I limited myself in who I could be friends with based on sexuality I'd have no friends. So yes, of course straight guys can be friends with gay guys.

17. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is just a myth. There are plenty of people who are straight and friends with the opposite sex.

18. Isaacsolomon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    For some reason, I thought you were 18, not 16, and you'd mentioned university so I had the idea you were about to go - the clubs I was thinking were university clubs/societies. Since you're not about to go to uni, and 2 years is a long time to wait anyway, I'd add further things to what I said:

- Yeah, right now things feel crap and you want to have different kinds of friends, particularly ones who accept you. That's normal. I had tough times making friends in school. It sucks, but school does end eventually, in the meantime -

- The internet is big and scary, but also wonderful. I was scared of it when I was your age, but that was ages ago, and ... here you are, so you're clearly not scared to chat to people online. What kind of virtual interaction can you have that's satisfying as well? Do you like blogging? Twitter?

- What kinds of interests (besides sex) do you have that could bring you to other people? Blogging, dancing, going to museums ... again, this may seem generic, but it's all good.

19. Isaacsolomon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Also, having not met your friend, he sounds awfully insecure, or just awful. Not all straight guys are.

And I used the word 'heterophobe' cos someone else said it to you earlier and I was like 'what'? But it doesn't sound like you minded, which is good.

To everyone else: a gay guy and a straight guy can be friends, as can two gay guys, or a straight guy and straight girl. Different kinds of friendship exist.

20. hyphybum

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And then one of them ends up falling in love with the other and then ends up getting their feelings hurt. I’ve seen this happen between gay guys and straight girls. This does not end well.