1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you worry about going to hell for being GLBT?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dwelefan, May 19, 2015.

1. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people
    animals also kill over territory and eat their own young.
    how do we use that for justification

2. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *compassionate hug* No, Benway dear...you are *in* Hell because you're wrathful and sullen.

3. MouseKeeper

I'm more worried as an atheist of going to hell, but that's just an uncontrollable feeling brought on by being religious for most of my life. Only time will help me shed my fear of hell, but currently, I'm not worried due to being attracted to both sexes. It's being an unbeliever that I worry about more.

---------- Post added 21st May 2015 at 10:31 AM ----------

No arguments here!:icon_bigg
    Seriously. We're all microscopic beings inhabiting one spec of dust in one location of the universe which could be billions, maybe trillions of light years across. If a god exists, I doubt he'd care what you do in the privacy of your own home, as long as you aren't hurting anybody.

4. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope, I don't worry about it.

Like the Pat Benatar song goes, Hell is for Children.

~

I think it's mainly a fear of people who were raised religiously; I've never understood how the idea might naturally occur to anyone. Thus, for me, it's unnatural to believe in such things.

5. Yosia

Cant imagine it being much worse than here. xD

6. MouseKeeper

Fortunately, I'm in the last step of shedding my fear of hell. The fear is still there but it's not as bad as it was. I don't have nightmares, but I keep thinking to myself, what if I'm wrong? I'll burn for eternity. But that's easily dealt with by remembering all the other hells of other faiths that are out there. It's the longest step for me, but I think I can do it.

7. HunGuy

HunGuy Guest

No. I'm not that stupid.

8. MouseKeeper

Well, I don't believe it exists, but I still fear it. I'm also a recent deconvert(back in january2015), and my grandmother used to be the person to condemn everybody to hell for little things like sexuality, and not being catholic. So, although I'm not blaming her 100%, I think she may have played a small role in why I still fear it.

#68 MouseKeeper, May 21, 2015
    Last edited: May 21, 2015
  9. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I thinking as a christian in all honesty we need to stop the whole concept of who is going to hell and who is not. Because in all honesty nobody has it exactly figured out and that issue is what divides society. Let's live our lives, unite, spread the love and stop defining who enters heaven or hell because I think as a christian that is the worst thing I can do to someone is judge what only God can control. But I don't think I am going to hell for being gay because no reasonable God would send someone to hell for what they were born with like I said before.

10. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I don't want you to think I'm picking on you, you just happen to be one of the more vocal members on Christianity.

I'm curious as to your opinion on psychopaths. It's practically impossible to cure a psychopath's way of thinking, so, what do you think is their purpose? Should they not "give" in" to their nature, what they were born as and what they do?

We could argue that what happens between two consenting adults isn't the same, and this is true, but that isn't what I'm getting at. I'm getting at the 'why would God allow/make somebody to be a certain way, and then expect them not to act the way they were made'?

The same could be asked of other things, like pedophiles too. It's like putting an alcoholic (a sinner) in a room (Earth), surrounded by liquor (temptation), for many years and getting mad when they cave. It's just... mean.

11. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is fair question actually and I welcome it. The truth is I don't have all answers and as a Christian I agree it wouldn't much sense for God to create something who does evil onto the world. Maybe someone can else can answer this better but I agree with you it is a question worthy of a answer or at least a possible explanation.

12. MouseKeeper

That's a good question. If there is a god, who is all loving and all powerful, then it would be counterproductive to create things that would be evil. It's one of many questions that never got answered without raising more questions.

13. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not even slightly. Can't say I ever felt any pull from any religion. Especially none of the abrahamic religions.

14. dwelefan

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yeah I see your point, Bi in MD, but if God hates homosexuality, in general, then why allow ANYTHING on this earth to be homosexuals? But yeah, it is hard to use that as verification since humans dont model their behavior after animals

15. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

You're telling me digging holes in the back yard and pissing on trees isn't model behavior?

I have been lied to~! My whole life is a falsehood!

16. deedee97

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No. I don't think fat, lazy, envious, or horny people are going to hell, so why should I?

17. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the bolded sentences there are beautifully important statements for any Christian to acknowledge. I applaud you, sir.

To Kaiser's question/point, I would give the same answer. We need to stop judging psychopaths as "bad people". They are not making choices any more than homosexuals are. They are *NOT* bad people who simply give in to their temptations too easily. They are people with brains that are wired in a way that is not conducive to the well-being of society (and frequently to their own well-being). I strongly doubt that God would send them to Hell, despite how much suffering their actions may cause...but again, I don't presume to judge this...I make very light hypotheses.

My father worked as a social worker for many years, and worked with many schizophrenics, paranoid and otherwise. He said that when they are properly medicated, they are perfectly wonderful, intelligent, and productive human beings (I've known some myself, and I agree). He also says that when the government started cutting funds to social services, one of the results has been more schizophrenics (and people with other psychopathic disorders) without people who can help keep them on their meds, or who can't afford their meds, who end up doing terrible things (e.g., shooting up a school full of children), being killed themselves (or killing themselves) and then being branded "evil" by media and society. These people aren't evil...they are mentally ill. And their heinous acts are the direct outcome of our society's decision that spending money on war and violence (in response to fear) is more important than spending it on services for people (in response to love) who are wired less fortunately than most of us. In the end, who is responsible for the deaths, and who is more deserving of Divine Retribution? Not something I'm about to decide...but again, I make light hypotheses.

We live in a society that is SO twisted up about sex and love, that we can't even have civil discussions about things like pedophilia. I've seen pleas on this site and others from pedophiles who clearly see that what they desire is wrong (or strongly wonder if it is), and want aid and advice...and they get turned away. Now I get that we have young kids here who are vulnerable and must be protected...my point is *not* to criticize this site for how it's handled this. My point is that in our society, there is nowhere else for them to turn, either! These people need an anonymous forum in which to process their feelings...I get that/why this is the wrong place...but there seems to be no right place. Again, will God ultimately judge the pedophiles for how their brains work, or the society that judges them evil, while refusing to help them?

Newsflash, people: there is no evil. There is only love/care-driven behavior and hate/fear-driven behavior. And a lot of untreated mental illness. Christian or not, we should do as dano suggests: love more and judge less.

18. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I also think this is all beautifully said. Better than I could of done.

19. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Maybe I'm weird but Hell seems more fun. Little Nicky anyone?

20. PizzaPizza

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If I remember correctly, the part of the bible that says you can't be gay is the also the part that said you weren't allowed to where two different fabrics or something; aka old testament which no Christians I know of follow xD