1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The 'F' word.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Micah, May 16, 2005.

1. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

I don't mind if a faggot calls me a faggot. However I will not tolerate being called a faggot by a breeder.

2. Pyrotactick

Sometimes I come out by saying "I'm kinda faggy". I understand it can be offensive, so I don't over use it. I don't really mind it though, unless somebody means it negatively.

I think the word fag in the modern term for "homosexual". Although, I do recognize it's real definition being "Burning wood" as in, homosexuals rapped and binded like wood, and then set ablaze....so...yeah, just to let you guys know :<. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I hope I am.

3. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Eh, so what?

4. Lounicorn

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    uhhm i don't really take it as an insult.... i just got bored on people calling me a "fag" like what's the point?

5. WhiteWinter

I have no idea why but everyou time someone I know says that word, I look down on them and I begin to question them. I dunno

6. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm really conflicted how I feel about it. A lot of the people around me use it, though I think many people don't fully understand how it could potentially be hurtful and offensive. I don't know. It really depends on the context for me to be honest, and who's using it and to what intention. It's not a word I'm fully comfortable with but I think its appropriateness and usage in society is just highly debatable and varied at the moment.

However if it is being used by someone deliberately in a hurtful way towards someone else/a group of people, then I definitely have issue with it.

#146 Alder, Oct 4, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  7. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If used by a neo-Nazi it does give me the restrained urge to jump kick them in the face, or should I say and excuse, but if someone isn't a "kill everyone because Jesus" type then it shouldn't bug me.

8. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It depends, I dont really care if a friend uses it around me Jokingly but otherwise, I don't necessarily get offended but it easily makes me annoyed.

9. Firepit5

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I have always considered it offensive. I am straight and grew up during the 70's and early 80's. My brother was gay. During that time, especially during middle school, the worst insult the mean boys/girls could hurl at nerds like me was "You are such a fag!" Even at the time it made me chuckle, because I am a girl. A girl faggot? Please. At the very least get your insults correct. Not being up in current gay nomenclature, I still consider it an offensive term. Hope I didn't offend anyone by using it in this post.

10. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If it's said in a joking way, I often don't mind. If it's intended to offend me, then it does. I think intent is important.

11. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No...I'm sorry..I do not like that word and I take it as an insult when I hear people use it. I remember this sister and brother who had a Middle Eastern background but were born in the USA. The father owned a convenient store and the three of us were hanging out this particular day and the sister was throwing jabs at the brother and all of a sudden she said to him.."You are just a fag and always will be". I noticed the look on his face because he immediately looked directly at me. I played it off very nonchalant and because the both of them were aware that I was a gay man...I believe the brother thought she was being offensive towards me. The sister then looked over at me and apologized for the use of the word. I responded that its cool that you apologized for the use of the word ...but I am not a fag...I am a man who enjoys being with men on an intimate level. For instance, if you enjoyed the company of men...would it be fair for me to call you a "whore"???. She immediately grasped to where I was going with my statement and again apologized for using the word. Although, I found out from someone very close to the family that she always calls her brother a fag or faggot constantly for years and that he had confided in this person that he did not like her calling him that or using that word period.

12. AlexanderDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my in-group, we sometimes use it as a term of affection between fellow queer friends XD

#152 AlexanderDragon, Oct 5, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  13. GayBatman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My ex step father called me a "faggot" and I hated it! I can't handle myself when I hear that word and I start to break down. It brings me back to my abusive former step father and I don't want to go back! I still get called that at times. My BFF called me a "faggot" once and I started crying. I forgave him but it still hurts. Sorry for the rant but "faggot" is my trigger word.

14. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't use that word outside of the bedroom. The word "faggot" just amuses me. Same with other words such as "slut". If I were a better person, then I'd feel sorry for the prudes who are obviously jealous

15. guitar

It used to bother me, and I kind of preferred it be used as a term of hate. But with my gay friends we'll joke around with the term and tease each other. I find it's more effective against your enemies just to say, "Yeah I'm a fag. And proud of it." Once you remove the word's power over you, it loses all meaning and the other person looks like a tool.

16. Tritri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If somebody calls me a faggot, I will be offended that they insulted me. In the same way I'd feel offended at being called stupid or a dumbass.
    But I don't see it as a "special" offensive word, unless I have clear evidence that I am being called a faggot because of my sexuality.

#156 Tritri, Oct 5, 2016
  17. Silver Snow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My dad once yelled "FAGGOT!" very loudly and aggressively at the TV when a gay actor was on. I must have looked bothered by this because he looked at me and said, "What? It's okay to call them what they are."

He doesn't know I'm lesbian, but I still took it personally. It amazes me how he can have so much hatred for something that doesn't affect him in any way. So, for me, "fag" or "faggot" will always be derogatory.

---------- Post added 6th Oct 2016 at 12:56 AM ----------

What I said above, however, does not change the fact that I think this is awesome! :thumbsup:

#157 Silver Snow, Oct 5, 2016
  18. scanner007

My take on the F word, I identify myself as gay usually. I suppose between fag and homo ..I think homo might be slightly more offensive just because fag has so many dynamic uses and homo only has one - i.e. "He's a fuckin' homo"

Well, the last thing I would ever wanna do is be one of those people with a cob in their ass, who have to try and tell everyone else what to do and how to be and say, Oh no you can't say this or that ..I don't wanna be like that because ..well...I don't wanna be a fag.

I think those words are best used amongst friends or informally, not polite company. If someone were to call me a fag or faggot, knowing I'm gay and MEAN it in a hurtful way ...it would hurt my feelings for about two seconds. Then, I'd shrug it off and forget it..they're an asshole..big deal. Not going to let it bother me.

After I came out of the closet, I had several conversations with friends and they either apologized for saying it or explained they didn't mean it hurtfully towards me and that it was just an expression. I understood. I told them it was fine. I was glad they had thought about my feelings though and were considerate enough- and well it was nice to know it bothered them enough that they wanted to talk to me about it. To me, it meant they valued our friendship. Of course, on the other side of that coin I also made sure they knew that as much I now wanted to be 100% myself in front of them and be openly gay, that I'd also like them to be 100% true in front of me and not feel like they have to censor themselves whenever I'm around.

With that said, I understand theres many common uses for it and I'm just not going to be sensitive about it, nor will I extend more than basic respect for someone who is sensitive towards it. Sure, if someone asks me not to say it I won't say it unless it comes up in conversation.

Years ago, I had this minivan. It was summertime, I had the windows down and the radio on and I was stopped at a red light. It was a good day, I was happy and on my way to I don't remember where and jamming to some tunes in my own little world. Life was great.

Then suddenly this guy, several years younger than me, but the most beautiful blond haired, blue-eyed angel I'd ever seen pulls up next to me in a Corvette. He makes a point of getting my attention and making me turn my radio down so I could hear him.

So I turned down my radio, leaned over and cocked my head to the side, eager to find out why this little cutie would flag me down of all people and have something to say to me.

Well he proceeds to inform me that I am not cool. That I have a stupid, crappy minivan and a junky sound system and he further explained that since he was driving a Corvette, that he was a much better person than I was.

I don't remember exactly what I said, it wasn't much. I pretty much just said, "ah, Ok", and went back to listening to my radio and ignored him. I was a little confused why he would bother to say that to me. I mean, I wasn't trying to show off. Why was he being so needlessly mean and condescending?

Its been years since that happened and I've thought about that many times. I was in my early 20s and owned that minivan. yeah it was a minivan, but it was wheels and I paid for it and owned it. I thought about that kid, he was obviously several years younger than me and it obviously wasn't his Corvette. And SOOOO many times, I wished I'd have said, "You'd better get that Corvette home before Daddy misses it or you'll be grounded". But then I just shrug and remember, ah heck, whatever, he was just being a little faggot.

In fact, in my experience and with a few notable exceptions, most Corvette owners are a bunch of faggots and for that same reason. They think they're better than you and they really want you to know it. (My own personal prejudice)

And finally, after all these years, after living scared in the closet for so many years anyone might think of me as less than straight and look at me accusingly and call me a fag - now do I finally have a better choice of words? Nope, I still think that guy was being a total fag to me that day.

Love,
    Scanner

19. AKindOfMagic

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends on the way it's used, and by whom. If I'm called a fag because of something that I do by someone, that I would probably end up overreacting. But if someone calls themselves nor someone that and is meant as a joke on both ends, then it's fine.

20. Darthsam

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been called a fag my hole life it's just a word I've learnt to embrace it I'm a fag