1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone else think pride parades go too far?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by falcenav, Aug 17, 2014.

1. LitePenguin

You're absolutely right.

Nobody should have to sacrifice any part of their daily lives for society.

But what I think we all need is moderation.

We should be able to express ourselves, but at the same time it shouldn't affect others in a negative way.

My apologies if I offended, Bob.

I was simply engaging in a meaningful debate with you, and thank you for giving me another point of view to engage upon.

2. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

I shall accept no moderation!
    I am not a number - I am a human being, a free man!

*Drumroll*

3. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

If I could reach through the screen I might have beat your ass… like what is that first bolded part about? That is all I saw and wow like just wow :tantrum::tantrum: how did I not see that part? I'm off this thread I'm not gonna change your mind and in wasting my time so bye ee:smilewave:smilewave:smilewave

4. LitePenguin

:confused:

Alright, umm, moderation is the wrong word.

Let's replace it with "compromise"

5. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

Why thank you, that sounds better. :grin:

What kind of compromise?

Please do tell what kind of compromise the straight population would have to make if LGBT+ have to make compromises?

6. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Due to stigmatization, LGBT people usually have to moderate themselves so much more than others in society do as part of their daily lives, and part of the reason for having pride parades is to be an outlet for that. So moderating such an outlet should only be done very cautiously and for very good reasons.

EDIT: After seeing your follow-up change to "compromise," I too would like to know what kind of compromise(s) you're thinking of and why. Keep in mind that most LGBT people find themselves making all sorts of compromises on a daily basis due to how society stigmatizes being LGBT.

#66 BobObob, Aug 17, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  7. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Simply because it is a small part of you does not mean that you can't be proud of it.

I'm trans. I'm homoromantic. I'm an illustrator. I'm a writer. I'm a photographer. I'm a gamer. I'm a son. I'm a brother.

Each individual thing is a small part of me. It is not who I am. Yet, I am still proud about being trans. I'm proud about being homoromantic, an illustrator, a writer, a photographer, a gamer, a son, a brother. These things, together, make me.

I can't be proud of myself if I'm not proud of what makes me myself.

My two cents, anyway.

8. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow--this again. No I don't--not in the slightest and if you want to know why you can check out one of the previous threads. One thing I will say is that this forum is honestly one of the only places in my life where I encounter this kind of homophobic bullshit. I've been to Pride every year for over twenty years. Over a million people turn up each year in my city and even the straight people in my life don't question the validity of people being allowed to be proud of who they are.

9. Ryujin

I agree :icon_bigg

10. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay, what compromises should we make? Should transgender people be asked to stay home, since to the uneducated, we look like "crossdressing freaks"?

11. LitePenguin

Alright, I'll do my best.

What I mean is, every single member of the LGBT community should be able to act out how they see fit and express themselves...as long as they keep in mind what their actions could do to others.

Like it has been said, every time someone who is gay, bi, or associates with such, acts out and the media gets ahold of it, those actions reflect on everyone.

That is the idea of equal representation and rights for gay people, the freedom to express ourselves.

But we have to keep in mind, our actions can have consequences as well as benefits.

12. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Can you also please answer my specific question? Thanks.

13. LitePenguin

I do not mean that anyone should be prejudiced against.

I mean that a man should be able to like another man, just as much as its okay for a man to like a woman.

A cross dresser should be able to do what they enjoy, not becomes pariah and freak in society's eyes.

---------- Post added 17th Aug 2014 at 04:39 PM ----------

Sorry, didn't see your post, Pret.

14. Compute

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I respect this view, and that's because you have conviction. I've never tried to state that people should believe things, rather that I just state my own ethos. I personally choose to neglect pride because I'm naturally satisfied with who I am at current. I have nothing to be proud of in terms of sexuality because I feel it's just a mundane part of my life which simply reflects my sexual and romantic preferences.

Accomplishments, like being a writer, should have pride. Things more related like coming out should have pride (since we live in a world where coming out has to exist unfortunately). Things that a person builds upon and becomes talented in, I have no reason to argue against for being proud of. I just find that being gay was something which was natural to me, I didn't have to become talented in it, I didn't have to do anything for it to happen, and so it's just a part of me.

I've noticed that my radical personal ramblings have caused a stir round this thread, so I thought I'd just clarify that I'm not forcing my ways of thinking on others. It's the reason I used phrases such as 'I think' a lot, because I don't want to seem like my way is superior to others, though I enjoy to challenge and be challenged.

15. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

Know what, fuck that.

What you wrote applies every single human that is part of society and musn't be narrowed down to LGBT+ people.

Besides... you didn't answer my question of what compromises the straight population should make...

16. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not talking about crossdressers. I'm talking about people who are transgender, and there is a difference. The point I'm making is that on your view--that we need to be "careful" about how we're perceived--nothing prevents cisgender people for asking for transgender and genderqueer people not to come to pride parades because we are "too far out" and a "negative representation of our community."

17. LitePenguin

Let me finish.

I can only type so fast, jeez.

18. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a parade. It's ostentatious by nature. It's one day a year where we can celebrate and have fun with thousands of other people like us without fear. If people choose to base their perception of the LGBTIQ community on a parade, that's their own problem.

Also, whenever I've been to Pride, a good 90% of us are dressed "normally". But does that not count when you're determined to blame homophobia on the victims rather than the perpetrators?

19. LitePenguin

First off, yes, Raven.

That's the darn point.
    It should apply to every single human being, not just LGBT, hence equality.

By compromise, I mean all of us have the right to express ourselves. Not just LGBT. Not just straight.

Equality without strings, without bloody small print.

And Pret, that isn't what I mean.
    Crossdresser, transsexual, straight, bi, gay.

We should have the right to express ourselves as we see fit.

Yes, I know trans and crossdressers, everyone who has a "unusual" taste, are often and frequently judged even more than the average gay or bisexual person.

Yes, I believe a transsexual person, a crossdresser, a gay man, and whatever you want to be should have the right to walk side by side, proud as can be.

20. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

All of us having the right to express ourselves does not exactly sound like "compromise". :eusa_thin

I agree with what you just wrote, but what does that have to do with any kind of compromise for both LGBT and straight people?...