1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone else think pride parades go too far?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by falcenav, Aug 17, 2014.

1. falcenav

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Its always bothered me that the LGBT community is fighting for rights, and want to be taken seriously, but have parades where they are 3/4 naked and inappropriately dancing down the street. I recognize that this may not be what pride parades entirely are, but from what the media shows, that's the general gist.

It would be so much easier for me to come out if the parades were appropriate. If I come out from where I live, I'd get immediately marked as flamboyant, promiscuous and annoying, because that's what the parades/media have shown (I am a reserved and quiet guy that thinks sex is really something for marriage, and if I come out Im seen not as myself). This makes me not even want to be affiliated with LGBT. I really just want to be out as gay and have that be it. I'm gay. Dont talk about it, don't exploit me for it, and move on.

Anyone feel the same way as I do? I think if the parades were toned down the community would benefit as a whole with being accepted into mainstream society. We'd definitely get a lot more respect from the anti gay religious groups. They'd see us as people just like them.

2. Compute

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This sums up a lot of my thoughts. I'm quite a submissive person and tend to keep to myself and so I'm not the flamboyant stereotype that media soaks up. This makes coming out a lot harder because it means that people don't expect it, and I have to break down that wall their have that all gay guys are like this.

I personally don't agree with pride events in general. I just don't see being gay something to be proud of. In the same way that we don't have pride events for straight people, or coffee-lovers, or anything like that. Homosexuality is simply a small part of who I am and it's not what makes me a person. Pride events at the moment are, as you've said, too flashy. It gives people room to use phrases like "this sort of thing in gay" or "these action/clothes are gay". What would be better is just a lot of normal gay people parading together without making a fuss, showing people that the stereotypes aren't always true. Show people that being gay is part of a person, not an entity that takes over someone and makes them into one single type of person.

I'm not saying that flamboyant men are bad in any way, I just feel that they get a lot of media attention as they've become a target in terms of gay expectations, which essentially shadows everyone else, and a lot of pride events tend to support that in their current state.

3. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

nah

---------- Post added 17th Aug 2014 at 11:59 AM ----------

antigay relgious groups wouldnt give a shit, we already sin and need jesus with or without rainbow thongs

---------- Post added 17th Aug 2014 at 12:00 PM ----------

also pride is more because the alternative is shame and closeting which is what has happened historically here, it is the "abnormal" so having a straight pride month is like white history month, society acknowledges them as the default so they dont need it

4. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think so.

Pride parades are doing nothing 'wrong' - its the media's fault for focusing in on those particular aspects, and it's the consumer's fault for actually believing it.

That's what I believe, anyway. There was a similar discussion, but with beauty standards. If I can find it, I'll post it.

EDIT: Here it is. A debate on whether it's the media's fault or the consumer's fault. Maybe both? Or maybe neither? http://emptyclosets.com/forum/chit-chat/143784-sickening-obsession-perfect-body.html

EDIT: Also, might I add, it's pretty shitty when people automatically jump to conclusions, but apart of it, I think, is accepting that some of them aren't entirely offensive. But that's just my opinion.

#4 Nychthemeron, Aug 17, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  5. MassiveExtract

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh no, not this topic again. At least it isn't as bad as the last one which was borderline offensive.

Let's get this straight. Part of being proud of who you are is not giving a damn, that's pride. People who want to be like that in gay pride parades feel proud enough to do it, so let them do it. I wouldn't, but it's actually enjoyable to watch because it's so different from any other type of parade - it's just happy.

Accepted by the community? Trust me, you can tone down the parades and people will still find some reason to hate gays. Black pride parades were toned down post the 60's, people still found a reason to be racist. It doesn't matter anyway, polls show that people are being more accepting of gays and more than half the country approves of same sex marriage, that number is increasing on a yearly basis. Be happy and be proud.

6. I don't understand what's inappropriate here.
    I don't think that human bodies are something to be ashamed of.
    I don't think that some people being different from others is something that needs to be hidden.

Straight/Cis people who hate LGBT people are not going to stop doing so if we all force ourselves to blend in as much as possible. We shouldn't have to.

Your problem isn't really that gay pride parades are too ostentatious. Your problem is that straight people are stereotyping you and you don't like it. That's not the fault of people in the pride parades, that's the fault of our heteronormative society.

I'm getting pretty tired of hearing everyone blaming people who are already outsiders in society (visibly LGBT people) for the problems created by that same fucked up society.

7. mangotree

I can see where you're coming from...
    Growing up (without the internet) - pride parades made me confused about what it meant to be gay. Seeing Sydney Mardi Gras, Freddie Mercury, Elton John and George Michael on TV were my only points of reference.
    It's different these days though, we see a lot more about LGBT people in the media than just pride.
    Perhaps consider that it was BECAUSE pride was so "in your face" in the past that the media paid attention and got the ball rolling for the rights and openness that a lot of us enjoy today and the equality that we will likely enjoy in the future.

As a side note - consider maybe that it's because most of us have been brought up to believe that being 3/4 naked, inappropriately dancing, flamboyant etc.. is wrong, immoral or sinful. What's really wrong with those things though?

Peace! (*hug*)

8. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just feel it's turned into a way of making money.

9. SeaSalt

10. Pax

Pax

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Pride parades are too 'over the top' for me. For that reason I tend to attend the music events later on in the day, but not the actual parade itself.

But I do realise and accept that that's just my personal preference and that it doesn't actually mean that there's anything wrong with Pride parades.

11. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with the OP. We fight for equality and rightfully so, but you don't see straight people naked or next to naked running down the block in huge parades. I think it's cool to be who you are in dress as long as it is tastefully done. I don't think children should be exposed to nudity. If you want to be accepted amongst larger society(which is my hope), you need to try to be family-friendly.

12. My thoughts summed up perfectly. :slight_smile:

13. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe they should have pride parades if society marginalizes them.

Being gay or straight per se isn't anything to be proud of, but maintaining one's self-respect in spite of society telling that person he/she should be ashamed of him/herself is something to be proud of.

14. Ouzo

Ouzo Guest

Well.. for me its so in you're face.. BUT the people are so happy.. so its a good celebration I guess.

15. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agreed. Seem like now that it's clear which way the wind is blowing, companies are increasingly using gay rights to market themselves for their own gain.

On a separate note, I don't really see the appeal of pride parades. It's an aspect of "gay culture" that I simply have no interest in. Can't say I get it. But if people find comfort and self-actualization from this, more power to them.

16. Compute

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm not sure if this is trying to rebuttal, however the last part is what I was trying to get across from my message, my apologies for the lack of detail in that case.

17. user123456

Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with you. I don't like the pride parades. It's annoying and I think it's doing the LGBT community more bad than good.

At least in the Czech Republic, which is a quite tolerant country, most people's opinion is that "I don't care about peope's sexuality and what they do at home, but these flamboyant parades are obnoxious". And I agree with that.

18. LitePenguin

I would say that pride parades are done with good intentions...but have adverse results.

The media has come to expect a certain level of...strangeness from gay and bi people, strangeness that doesn't apply to every one of us! Nothing against the flamboyants, but people tend to see all of us as that way because thats the way the media and society portrays us.

19. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good article. It frustrates me how many people don't understand why there's a need for pride parades. People tend to be oblivious to "straight privilege".

20. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think people should be free to do it, but it kinda reinforces the idea of the stereotype. I'm not against those who fit on it, but not everyone is like that, and the parades shows only that side of our "community".

I'm not saying it shows the "wrong side" or that is "immoral", but just that, in my opinion, it doesn't really help to educate the people about what really means to be non-straight. We are normal people, just like everyone else.

Agreed, it isn't wrong, but it doesn't help with prejudice i think, the whole idea of "shoving down people's throat" we are like that and fuck everyone who don't like it. Education is the solution, and parades aren't helping with that.

I don't really have a solid idea about this, but, on a first look, this is my opinion. I'll be following this thread and maybe i will change my mind.