1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BE HONEST: Does race matter when dating?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by confuseduser99, May 16, 2014.

1. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  2. C P

C P

I'm not necessarily talking about some hidden plot against certain races but, as pointed out numerous times, signs point to social upbringing heavily influencing this so called racial preference(cue the huge societal bias in favor of lighter skin tones). Of course it isn't for everybody, but it is something you can pontentially break yourself out of, should you at least try to see if your compatibility otherwise changes your perspective.

The thing is though, far from everyone has your line of thinking. As I pointed out before, it's not a simple 'oh, you look nice but unfortunately not my type' sort of thing, far too many emphasize on the fact that, because you're not the ideal skin tone to them, you're pretty much fugly and not even worth the time of day because of it in plenty of cases.

A good friend of mine had been talking to this guy who was unaware that he was mixed with black(he looks a lot closer to white) but figured he was mixed and eventually asked about it. The guy flat out said that, had he been fully black, it would have been an automatic deal breaker/he wouldn't consider dating him...and had the nerve to think it was funny. Fortunately, he was rightfully offended by that and dropped the guy.

Btw, I don't see how gingers are unattractive(though I am aware of the stigma they have). o_o Those who think they are are looney.

#82 C P, May 17, 2014
    Last edited: May 17, 2014
  3. NoaWinchester

No, if I'm attracted to/like a person, I like them, no matter their race.

4. 741852963

Again I'd disagree. If anything I probably been brought up with rather negative opinions towards middle-eastern men (the media and our society typically portrays them as violent and homophobic terrorists), yet I often find men of this ethnicity physically attractive.

On contrast I was raised (rather hippyish) to be very aware of the black civil rights movement, and black history yet I am not usually (but sometimes though) attracted to black men. Some people argue its all to do with childhood-exposure and that people date closest to what they know and are aware of, but I know far more black people than those with middle-eastern ethnicity. *shrugs*

I don't think its that easy. Can gay guys "break themselves out" of not finding women attractive - should they even if they could? Not finding women attractive does not automatically make a gay guy latently or subconsciously misogynistic. And vice versa a straight guy finding a woman attractive does not automatically make him philogynist - there are plenty of misogynistic straight guys.

Perhaps we are just looking into this too deeply instead of embracing the diversity of life. "Horses for courses", "whatever floats your boat" and all that jazz? I'm sure between us all there is enough love and attraction to cover all bases so I'm sure no-one will be left out! :icon_wink

5. confuseduser99

Well this thread totally blew up! Political debates FTW :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I will be honest and say that as someone with South Indian ancestry (though, my mom is mixed) living in a white-majority state, I think I started out having a preference for whites, but now I've tried to be more conscientious and see the beauty in all guys. I actually used to not prefer other Indians, primarily because I was a non-conformist who was attracted to mixed-race relationships. But, I think I also had stereotypes that I was very Westernized, and it was just easier to think all Indian guys are straight (yes, it makes no sense since I'm gay).

I really agree with Gen and others that these preferences are not as "natural" as some posters here claim. The preference for whites and "Latinos" (i.e. white Latinos) is a perfect example. I believe that humans are relatively a blank slate when it comes to preferences, and it is their upbringing within a family and community that fosters those preferences. I think same-race preference is like the default option, which deserves little praise. It's difficult to always call it racism because that word has a strong connotation, but it is a form of moderate discrimination.

7. 741852963

I think that idea is a little risky, as surely the same could be applied to gender preference (i.e. sexuality). It seems to run a little too closely to Freud's idea of "latent bisexuality" (i.e. being born with a neutral preference and developing an attraction to one side or the other in childhood).

8. confuseduser99

But discrimination isn't always a bad thing. I mean, we discriminate all the time. I hate peanut butter, but love Nutella. Therefore, I discriminate against peanut butter because I like Nutella more. Not because peanut butter is brown and Nutella is chocolate brown (terrible analogy, I know).

Also, I don't know why same race attraction is the default. I'm not really that attracted to people of my "race" (which is SOOOOOOO mixed, but culturally speaking, my parents are Trinidadian, so people from Trinidad). I guess it's also because of my "Western" upbringing but I don't mind.

But I do believe that there are attractive people of all races, colors. Etc.

9. Laelia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Sure it does. I have an incredibly strong preference for a very specific look. I don't think having a preference means that you are racist. I also don't believe that everyone can potentially be attracted to all looks.

10. confuseduser99

I totally agree!

11. 741852963

And I love peanut butter, but hate Nutella. But between us we can ensure that both industries keep their profits up!

And besides, if everyone liked peanut butter there would be less for me which would be a terrible state of affairs! :icon_bigg

12. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The thing is, middle-eastern people are considered as white, at least for the US government, which I would argue again shows a color-based bias.

Again, I believe it's completely misleading to compare racial preferences to gender preferences because racial preferences are not innate. There was an interesting study done by an online dating site (mainly based in the US), where they showed blacks, both gay or straight and male or female, had the significantly less chance of getting a response when sending a message than others.

Moreover, they showed that while 15-30% (10-20% for LGB people) of minorities said they had a strong preference for dating someone of the same race, whites were around 40-54% (30-40% for LGB). In both cases, the percentage of whites who preferred the same race was double that of non-whites

13. confuseduser99

Is that maybe because whites are just more attractive to the most amount of people? I mean, that would be the most logical conclusion from those findings.

14. Gen

Gen

I'm sorry, but this is not risky; it is psychological fact. Sexual desire is innate. Various spikes in hormone production ignite carnal desires in the mind and encourage us to find a mate to satisfy those needs. The basic purpose is to encourage sexual activity throughout the populous of a species, which therefore encourages reproduction.

Physical attraction and "preference" are psychological factors, crafted by the environment of members in that populous. The reason why Resu found himself becoming more and more attracted to Caucasians is because the subconscious molds attractions to fall in line with environmental possibilities. The very idea that preference is innate is negated by the fact that a Caucasian born into a purely white world would never stop and think "If only people with brown skin existed, this paleness really isn't doing it for me". It will not happen.

Discrimination- the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people or things, especially on the grounds of race, age, or sex.

I'm just going to imagine that you are not trying to equate the distaste of a food product to the racial inequalities in society. The same race is not the default; the race the mind has been predominantly exposed to is. This is why even the majority of people of color assume that the main character is Caucasian when they read a book. Obviously it's not their fault, nor is it the fault of anyone is this thread that nearly all individuals who have admitted to hold a preference hold it for Caucasians.

No one is seeking to demonize anyone here, but the presence of these influences in our society is undebatable.

15. confuseduser99

Great work with fine tuning and selecting 1 of the 2 definitions of discrimination. It can also mean "the power of making fine distinctions; discriminating judgment. Ex. She chose the colors with great discrimination."

Many words in the English language have several meanings. I was referring to this definition of discrimination. Again, it's not always a bad thing.

16. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Such qualifications of attraction are subjective - in which case your comment actually goes toward highlighting the point of how being in a white-dominated society will often set relatively unconscious, "white/Eurocentric" feature preference as the definitive standard of beauty...

#96 Browncoat, May 17, 2014
    Last edited: May 17, 2014
  17. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm normally a very tolerant person. But, I seriously hate these food "analogies" because they belittle the issue. Peanut butter and Nutella have very different tastes, whereas racial preference is really "skin deep".

The thing is, race is an extremely broad category. When you look at photos of people from the same race, there is a huge amount of diversity in body shape and bone structure in the face. Therefore, it really is illogical to say that you're not attracted to a huge fraction of the human population. I call it a default, but more accurately it's just a shortcut, blinders that people use to narrow their options. In that case, discrimination is a bad thing because the decision is quick and doesn't give the other person a real chance.

18. Gen

Gen

We can use whatever definition you wish; it doesn't dilute the vast insensitivity of that post. Equating your tastes in spread to the racial inequalities that Resu was referencing his response is ridiculous. It was not a just or even valid comparison, regardless of the usage, for reasons that I would sincerely hope you are privy enough to need elaboration as to why.

I am not dismissive of many posts, as I enjoy hearing from vary perspectives in discussions, and I'm sure that that comment was meant to be a bit tongue-and-check; however, being genuinely unable to see how silly it was is rather sad.

19. confuseduser99

I don't understand how that post was insensitive... I'm simply saying that many people "discriminate" (I would not use this word. I would say people have certain preferences) based on color. Not that they hate all people of one certain race or color, but that they take it as one of the many features to consider when finding someone attractive.

Whoever first brought up the word discriminate was the one that escalated this thread... That word does not fit for the conversation that we're having.

I did not mean to offend anyone. As a person of color myself, I just don't see how that post was "insensitive".

20. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Your conclusion is actually very interesting because you're making a leap in logic. My data was very small, just indirect non-preference for blacks and direct same-race preference for whites vs. non-whites. Neither of these things say anything about attractiveness (or unattractiveness). So, your conclusion actually reflects one of the biggest (IMO) challenges: racial preference is repackaged as physical attraction.

The thing is, why should whites have such a higher same-race preference than non-whites? It can't be genetics because humans are 99.9% genetically identical; and non-white populations are genetically distinct. IMO, this can only come about because the society as a whole has conditioned both whites and non-whites that the reference for beauty is being white.