1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reasons/Excuses why NOT to come out of that closet!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Deaf Not Blind, Apr 20, 2012.

1. flymetothemoon

I was afraid to lose family. Although I haven't completely lost any family, relations have become strained with some of them, unfortunately, but others have been amazing, and in the end, I'm glad I did end up coming out and that everyone knows. If they can't be supportive of my being happy because it's with a girl, then that is their problem, not mine.

2. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

I'm scared of change.. I want it, but I'm scared to have it.

3. Young Anonymous

Parents supporting me financially, and they will pay for my car and college. I will most likely be kicked out when I turn 18, and not receive any financial help or ever be welcomed back home again after.

Yeah, that about 'sums it up.

4. Deaf Not Blind

interesting...
    most of us post we are wanting to come out and be our true selves, but afraid of others judgement (negative, incorrect judgment), loss of our closets friends, being disowned or losing support of parents, and a general normal fear of change.

some fools think gays, lesbians, bisexuals, and transexuals are all just homosexual-minded, crazies who have a sudden desire to become the other gender only to one day realize too late the mistake and try to go back to heterosexual humping. GAG!

i think our list here should continue, and hope one day such a list comes out! i want straights to know that all of us are different, but obviously we all very seriously and with a lot of soul-searching take time to come upon our decision to come out and move on. certainly so sign here of irrational lust, insanity, or split decision-making!

5. Vesper

Fear of my existing relationships--especially the ones with my parents--changing.

6. JillandJill

It's not fear at all for me, I don't think.

-It's more fun being in a secret relationship
    -I never talked to my parents about my love life before so why start now?
    -I see no reason anyone should need to know who I want to have sex with

7. Shshgr

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Because I'm hoping I'll find Narnia at the back of the closet?

8. LailaForbidden

Fear, mostly. I'm afraid i'm wrong again. I'm afraid i'll be seen as a vicious whore. I'm afraid of people looking at me and saying "omg she's not normal." So.. its the closet for me until I the urge to be out is greater than the fear. In other words, college. lol

9. kem

kem

Right now the only reason is that there is a risk of being thrown out and cut off. My dad is quite stubborn: he doesn't like admitting he's wrong. If he was upset, he'd carry a grudge for years. So I'd rather wait until I'm not dependent on the income of my parents.

10. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    most ppl i know are homophobes

11. TheDifferent13

I've been thinking a lot about the reasons that are still keeping me inside, and I think the thing that is holding me back the most is a fear of the fact that I will never be able to have a normal relationship. As in normal I don't mean a straight relationship, with normal I mean a relationship, I'd be able to happily share with anyone without them thinking of us as something wrong. Cause where I live, people still look at any non-straight interactions with disgust. I would just want to be able to be free of any looks of disaproval or disapointment, once I'm with someone, and I would like to be able to show my affection to that person no matter who is around us, just like everyone else around me can, with them being accpeting and not bothered at all. But I just know that this will never happen. So this is what's holding me back the most, knowing I can never be free like that.

12. Josclare

Josclare Guest

because if my dad rejected me i would apart

13. Shshgr

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Actually, this post inspired me, and I just ended up coming out to my mom! She was kind of shocked, but she told me she still loves me and that she's glad I told her. It really wasn't as bad as I thought. Sure, I cried and couldn't think straight for the next couple Of hours, but I feel as though im being more true to myself now.
    My dad is going to be hard to tell as he is extremely homophobic, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Right now, I'm just happy as who I am :slight_smile:

14. BajanBoy13

This...

15. Chickenlover

...trees and rocks and rocks and trees and WATER!
    Congrats Shshgr on coming out to your mother! (*hug*) I'm glad that you gave up on Narnia. :icon_wink

My reason for holding back in coming out:
    I'm scared of labeling myself. It's like locking yourself in a filing cabinet, the moment I tell someone that will be the way they always see me. I also compare it too jumping off the high diving board, once you speak it aloud you can't go back, you're past the point of no return. I find that scary, and so whenever I come out to people I beat around the bush a lot, trying to leave myself an escape route.

16. Eli

Eli Guest

Mostly-- being wrong about transitioning. But I won't deny there's a substantial amount of fear there, not only rejection from family, but physical safety fear. I do not live in an open and accepting area.

17. Shadow7796

Shadow7796 Guest

I am afraid of losing my family and friends

18. DarkClarity

I'll be disowned and penniless. I don't have any friends either so me not coming out is simply down to survival. But once I can support myself, I'm leaving and I'll never speak to my family again.

19. Agreed. This is the biggest thing for me. I don't think I have to worry about being rejected by my family, but of course they will look at me differently, which I can't stand.

20. Alexander69

My parents would disown me, stop talking to me and be embarrassed of me. I know this will happen because I have gay cousins and my family hasn't talked to them since they came out not just my parents but pretty much everyone on my family including his own mother. So That's what's keeping me in deep in my closet :frowning2: