1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reasons/Excuses why NOT to come out of that closet!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Deaf Not Blind, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Niko

Fear of being judged, depending on who I choose to be in the future (if I decide to transition or not).

2. Deaf Not Blind

Amen!

---------- Post added 10th Dec 2012 at 01:16 AM ----------

AWW!
    if only all moms and dads knew this!

3. Deaf Not Blind

oh yeaaaa!!! I'm happy i started this thread!

---------- Post added 10th Dec 2012 at 01:49 AM ----------

note: I came out to that guy 2nd person...so we are brothers now!
    the gal i came out to online last month...she was happy for me!
    why am i in the closet anymore? i want out!

---------- Post added 10th Dec 2012 at 02:03 AM ----------

You can always be my buddy.
    I didn't do much coming out at home, but boy am i out here at school! and i am happier! many of my old fears turned out fallacies. i have not lost friends, but have gained ones who know me as male or transgender male. life is just as before, just I'm walking around head high with male clothes on, a soft pack on, and girls giggling at me when i flirt. its already making me more willing to consider changing. meeting fully transitioned men too is really good. you can't tell.

4. Gerit

I don't want to be a disappointment to my family, to be the topic of people's conversations, to be bullied or treated unfairly just because of my sexuality. I just want people to treat me like they've treated me in the past, but that won't happen, I'm sure.

5. Salazar

I absolutely hate being vulnerable.

6. Adelaida

My parents will hate themselves, think it's their fault, that their failures (they think homosexuality is a sin). Fear that my sister won't let me see my niece and nephews. Fear that my friendships will change.

7. Fear of rejection. :bang: :tears:

8. samizer0313

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The fear and omg, the closet is so cosy :wink:

9. Dems

just not wanting people to look at me differently. i guess i dont want to deal with the questions and stereotypes or to have my relationships with family and friends change. (&&&)

10. Nash

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This is a tough question...... The majority of my surroundings are married people with young families and I worry that my young kids would have a hard time and that we wouldn't be as accepted into the social circle we are in.....

On a more selfish level, i would worry that i would be the topic of others conversations, i worry that i would become a little paranoid....

11. Hexagon

No particular need to.

12. silkfrog1292

I was the only son in my family, there's going to be no one to pass on the family name if I come out as gay. Also the fact that my university (which is separated into 7 colleges) many of those colleges are catholic and are homophobic. That's why the people i've come out to all don't go to school with me.

13. this. i hated it until i got comfortable with myself.

14. Deaf Not Blind

hmmm....so interesting all the similar posts. If only straights and families saw how we all feel inside. It ain't cool.

My current excuse...reason for not coming out is fear of loss of friends...or at least respect...being gossiped about to all deaf community. I have seen recent a lesbian being called "faggot lol" and I decided to Pm her to say I am sorry that person said the F word to you. I do not want to be seen as a lesbian when I am not, so it is conflict to tell or not tell I am transgender as so many think I am tomboy or lesbian no matter what I say. I also fear telling mom. She keeps saying I am her daughter. I am hinting small things, and testing the waters. So far she says she agrees that we should welcome gay men to church and not push any person away from God. I may try to tell her that the gift from SolarCat, that She is actually born male bodied, and is transgender...and my close Deaf friend. See how she reacts. my excuse not telling her yet is fear of her not seeing me for who and what i am and accepting me as her son. I really want to be her son! :'(

15. micstar615

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My dad would beat me...and my mom would be depressed. I lost a great guy because I couldn't come out and he didn't want to date in secret.

16. Deaf Not Blind

oh shit

17. curlycats

at present i have no pressing need to come out of the closet as i'm in a committed, long-term relationship with my partner who is of the opposite sex. i have come out of the closet to him and a few online friends, but beyond that there is no need at this point. also, i'm fortunate enough to live in a foreign country so my family only knows whatever i decide to tell them over the phone.

that aside, i honestly don't think it's anyone's business who i'm attracted to and i don't feel like i need anyone's approval, including society's.

on the other hand, if for some reason my current relationship ended and i ended up in a relationship with the same sex, i wouldn't try to hide it from anyone but my family, for religious reasons.

18. Hard Candy

Hard Candy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Because I have seen that people's treatment of gays who came out eventually after a long time of denial and those who were already obviously gay from the very start is different.

19. barca

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I really worry that it'll suddenly define me to people I know. I notice sometimes when friends or family talk about someone who's gay, the person's sexual orientation always seems to be made a point of no matter how irrelevant it is to the subject. It seems like its always on top of their mind and that it influences how they talk about the person.

I feel like now people think of me as me, and if I were to tell them I was bisexual, it'd become like this weird characteristic that they'd always think about with me and that anything I did or said would be interpreted with that in mind.

I'm most worrisome about this when it comes to male friends. Not my closest friends, but others in my past have made semi-homophobic comments (not hateful). And I've gotten the clear impression that if they had a guy friend who was also attracted to guys, they would not at all feel comfortable.

I guess that's my main reason... I just don't want to be known by it, or have it talked about by others. It would make me feel extremely uncomfortable.

20. IrisM

I don't want people to think I'm being frivolous and so want to wait until I've got into transition and look undeniably feminine.

If people where I live find out I'm transgender I'll lose my house.

People at work give me a hard time already, I know how they speak badly of the few gay and lesbian workers there and they don't like how I defend those people. Some of the things they say are quite cruel, and I imagine being target numero uno isn't going to be a very nice experience, especially since another job prospect would be really hard to find.

I went to school in this town and everyone here my own age ridicules and despises me to the point where they shout insults and throw things at me as I walk down the street. There was once a time they caught up to me and beat the ever living daylights out of me with baseball bats. If I come out I could even be killed.

#60 IrisM, Dec 18, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2012