1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would religious people date atheists/agnostics?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by musikk021, Feb 12, 2013.

?

If you are religious, would you date an atheist/agnostic?

1. Yes, it's not an issue.

27 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No, it's a dealbreaker.

9 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Neutral/don't know/depends.

18 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't think of a reason for narrowing my prospects by setting into place some restrictions or qualifications my potential paramour must meet - including religious affiliation.

So long as he lets me have my beliefs, he's more than welcome to his own. :slight_smile:

2. Luke Matt

I've always wondered this. I actually have quite a few Christian friends (girls...who I doubt know I'm gay) and occasionally think they might be interested in me. Obviously it's not going to go anywhere, but I'm still interested in knowing if they'd still date me, even though our beliefs conflicted.

3. MichaelB

As long as they respected my religion, I'd be fine with it. :slight_smile:

4. prism

As long as they're not an extremist of any kind, I don't care what a person believes in. I don't want to hear about God 24/7, but I also don't want to listen to a loudmouth atheist go on about how religion is stupid.

5. Samvictor

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't see any problem with that, the real love doesnt care about religion! I'm Christian and I would love anyone who is not!

6. FruitFly

I pay little attention to whether or not someone is religious and more to overall compatibility. Part of this compatibility is their view on faith, whether or not they personally believe is generally irrelevant providing everything else clicks.

Then again, most non-Christians are put off by the fact I do read the Bible and take time out to pray throughout the day, so I guess it's not so much a question of whether I would date them as whether they'd feel comfortable dating me. I'm quite happy to go about my business and not push them to participate in anything they do not wish to participate in, but I'm not going to stop having people from church over during the week for Bible study or volunteering within the church. That can get quite annoying for some people.

7. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

I dont know. I could never date a pagan! But an athiest... I could date one I think but I could never be in a longterm relationship with one. Spiritual connections are very important to me

8. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Why is this question only being asked in one direction? You should have included poll options for atheists on whether we would date religious people...

And I don't think I could at this point. Especially a follower of one of the Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam)... anyone who could worship the god of the Judeo-Christian Bible will inherently have beliefs that put them way into conflict with my values and principles as a human being. Especially as a gay person I don't know why anyone would choose to worship a god who said gays are an abomination who should be put to death...

9. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I could date an Episcopal, but not anyone from an organization that is officially heterosexist, like the Mormon church.

10. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I'm agnostic and I probably wouldn't be able to date a Christian, or something who follows a religion besides Buddhism. I wouldn't want to date an Atheist who won't shut up about how idiotic religion is, either. Just someone mellow, or doesn't give a fuck about it.

11. Fiddledeedee

I would not want to date an extremely religious or antireligious person. I think I would prefer to date someone Christian, followed by someone who is theistic in some form (so that they can understand that I believe in a god and so on; it wouldn't matter whether they were Abrahamic or, say, Sikh or Pagan, I think). With non-militant atheists/agnostics, I expect it would be an issue on some level. Antitheists and extreme atheists? We likely wouldn't get along well enough for a relationship in the first place.

12. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm an atheist, but I'd be willing to date a religious person as long as they respected my beliefs.

13. this

14. castle walls

It looks like your question was answered in the original post

15. Wickgaga

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't know if a religious person would even want to date a Satanist. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

16. FJ Cruiser

I have no problem with atheists provided they respect my beliefs, and indeed I'm friends with quite a few, but it's different with dating. I want to click on every level possible like one said earlier, and if we don't even share a fundamental worldview, I just don't see it working out. I could date an agnostic though.

17. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, exactly, thank you. I didn't pose the question both ways because I was primarily interested in the answer to that specific question of theists accepting atheists. I like seeing everyone's thoughts both ways, but I wanted to know if me being atheist would be a dealbreaker to someone who's religious.

18. SkyColours38

As an atheist, I have a few good friends who are devout Christians and family members of several religions, but I must admit I find it easier to get along with people who share my values in most areas, especially religion. I like discussing faith, politics etc. so it would be hard for me to be in a serious relationship with someone whose opinions on any such matter differed so drastically from mine. That said, one of my very closest friends is an extremely devout person (the kind that goes to Christian camp, posts prayers on Facebook and goes to church more than on just Sundays) and we just avoid talking about religion, because we value our friendship and respect each other's freedom of belief. If only more people could learn to tolerate differences...

19. djt820

I'm an atheist and I wouldn't be able to date a religious person at all. My partner and I would have to have to share a fairly similar world-view in order to get along. If we couldn't agree with something as fundamental as religion, I wouldn't be able to communicate with them on the level I'd like to.

20. FollowtheFreeman

Same with me.

Maybe my partner and I would be able to overlook religious beliefs and all that, but I still feel like there would be a white elephant in the room. It would only probably end up making the relationship tense.