1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want her to know the real me... but scared to go there

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by WonderQuest, Dec 16, 2023.

1. WonderQuest

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm curious about others experience who have come out to their spouse. My wife is very much an ally to the community. I am lucky in that she is a very understanding and caring person. I want her to see all of me, including the parts I have kept hidden. I have thought about men for as long as I can remember. Mostly the idea of it rather than specific people. It sort of comes and goes, but as much as I wanted to ignore it, it always resurfaced. Learning to accept who I am does feel empowering. I am hopeful we can stay together. We have a great family and her and the kids are the most important thing in my life. I am starting to realize that being queer doesn't necessarily mean we will have to move on. I am also scared of the risk of breaking up a good thing. Any advice on navigating this is appreciated.

2. Vintage gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wish I could give you some advice but I am just getting ready to come out to my ex-wife and adult children. My ex and I have a wonderful relationship even though we have been separated for almost six years. We still own a business together and our lawyers have ironed out the finances involved. She, however; manages the business and I'm retired and draw a salary to augment my retirement income. I don't want things to become contentious between us. I'm not as worried about the kids even though my son-in-law is a minister. Ok, maybe some slight concern. Just think through all the possible outcomes and decide that if the worst thing happens, what will your life look like? Is it worth it to you? In my situation, I live in a different town and am living as an out gay man. I'm afraid that they will find out, the world is getting smaller. I would rather they heard it from me.

3. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    WonderQuest.....You might want to consider using a letter when the time comes to tell your wife. A big plus to a letter is that you don't have to be present when the letter is read. That can be a very big help as it eliminates the potential face-to-face confrontation that can sometimes be difficult. Coming out in writing means you will not be interrupted or face a barrage of questions that you need to answer immediately, in the heat of the moment. You get time and they get time too and that counts for a lot. It gives the people reading the letter some time to think before they talk to you. After all, you've had time to think about your sexuality, perhaps for years…giving them at least some time to think about it too only seems fair! There are some great sample coming out letters here on Empty Closets that could be a big help to you. You can edit the letter(s) to fit your situation. Even if you don't eventually use the letter, taking time to think about it and to write one will help you to be sure to say what you need to say and leave out the rest! You can then use the letter as a "script" for when you do come out face-to-face. Check out the letters (see below)...they could be a real help!

*****Also...when you do come out, whether it's tomorrow or a year from now, your wife and/or friends will probably have questions. Take some time now to think about what those questions might be. Such as; "Why are you questioning your sexuality?" or "How long have you felt this way?" etc. The questions themselves will vary a great deal depending upon your wife and friends...so take that into consideration. If you work up a list of five or six probable questions with the answers already planned, you will likely be perceived as a more mature, serious person.

*****COMING OUT LETTERS: http://emptyclosets.com/home/pages/resources/coming-out-letters.php

*****Remember...you are a part of our LGBTQ Family and we do care! Keep us updated on how things are going for you!

.....David :gay_pride_flag:

4. Keller

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi! Sorry that you’re going trough this, but it’s how it often goes for many a queer person, if not most.

Aside from what @quebec said, I’ll add that your fear of breaking up is understandable and relatable, but it’s a risk you will have to take if you are to be to use authentic self openly.

You can just leave it all as it is right now - no shame in that. But the odds are that these feelings, they won’t go away. They might ebb and tide, or subside completely only to resurface later with a vengeance… But it is a part of yourself that will be there, it is something you can neither remove or escape from. Maybe it won’t bother you much, maybe it will be plenty of suffering, only time could show.

Or you could take the risk and come out to her, as daunting as it is. How will she react? There is no way to tell for sure in advance, albeit considering that she is an ally, it’s likely her reaction won’t be strongly negative, but as Quebec has mentioned, she will probably have questions and she will need the time to come to terms with the news. Even if her I initial reaction is strongly negative, it might not necessarily mean that things went sour. There are multiple people on this forum who have faced similar challenges and now live successfully in mixed-orientation marriages, so one thing for sure, there is hope.

If or when you come out, just try to do it in a calm and collected manner, giving her time and space to process the news at her own pace. If possible, try to be supportive and show your appreciation towards her; that you’re coming out now doesn’t change anything that has been between you up to that moment, you’re both still the same people who you were before and it’s something both of you should remember trough this journey.

Best of luck to you!

WonderQuest likes this.
  5. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Coming out to my wife was the hardest thing I feel like crap that I came out in the middle of our marriage and not while we were dating or even first got married but im out and accepted by her my best advice is to come out in your own time when you are ready !

Keller likes this.
  6. WonderQuest

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks David. I will check these out. I am sure there will be some questions :flushed:... I appreciate the support.

7. WonderQuest

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks Keller. I appreciate your support and guidance. I feel the ebb and tide a lot and you're so right... it always resurfaces one way or another. I feel like she will be understanding, but hurt and scared for what it means for our future. I feel right now I need to just keep going on my journey and getting clearer on who I am in all this before sharing it with her.

Keller likes this.
  8. LlouW

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am in the same situation but can't give you any advice because I am not out to my husband. These days I avoid any hint that I am gay around him because I don't want him to suspect that I am looking for a girlfriend and may have to pretend that she is just a friend.
    When you start looking, be prepared that a lot of potential lovers will not be able to handle the fact that you are married. That is what I have encountered. My husband suspects I am gay based on what I told him before I started looking. He is the sweetest guy I know, which of course makes my situation harder. He has told me it is OK if I just have sex with a woman, no emotional commitment, but that is not me.
    I am looking for a relationship, not a sexual experiment. So right now I am just not talking about it at all. I am pretending I am perfectly straight. I am good at that because I was in the closet for years. You will find there are many people on this forum, male and female who are in the same boat. On this site, we can all help each other to talk it and figure it out.

WonderQuest likes this.
  9. Lance M

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am a closet bisexual and will start therapy in a few weeks to figure things out. I will have to come out to wife at some point. I don’t know how she will react but I know I love her with all my heart and want to keep our marriage together. I know I am sooooo scared to tell her and our adult kids.

10. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know you can it it was hard for me to come out to my wife

11. WonderQuest

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I hear you. What I am learning through my own experience is coming out is my choice and I don't have to go there until I decide to. I'm taking my time right now. I think therapy is a really good way to work through this. I wonder if the love you have for her will help both of you find your way through this. It will be difficult, but remember you are starting from a place of love.

12. LlouW

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am going through a similar situation. I agree completely that coming out is a matter of choice and cannot be rushed. My life would have been completely different if I had come out sooner but I have no regrets because I was not ready to come out before, so would not have been a good partner for anyone. I love my husband and that motivates me to only do what won't hurt him, so I think it is definitely better to start from a place of love, as you said. I would hate to be in a bad marriage and at the same time have to deal with what I am going through.

13. Lance M

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am drunk on a NYE and love myself the way o am. I am bisexual and own it. I am a sissy and own it. I am femme own it.

Happy New Year everyone.
    I love u all….

Silvermoon55 likes this.
  14. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Own in Sweetie

Silvermoon55 likes this.
  15. Steff

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don’t have any advice just my own story. And it really is similar to yours. I was so scared of coming out to my wife that I practiced what I was going to say, over and over. I wanted to be truely honest for once and share my feelings. I knew once I came out there was no retraction, and so I doubted my sexuality again and again, maybe I wasn’t really into guys I asked myself. But I knew deep down who I was attracted to, I was sexually attracted to men, I love men. I wanted, needed to be able to say this out loud, I wanted to stop pretending I was attracted to women. So I took a deep breath one evening and just said ‘I have something to say, I want to tell you that I’m attracted to other men, I thought my feelings would go away but I really like men’. I’m so glad I did, my wife has been so supportive and understanding. She is a fan of the queer community. I now I’m very lucky to have a wonderful lady like her. She said if I meet a guy she will support and encourage the relationship. Unfortunately it has taken this long in my life to finally admit and come out to myself that I’m gay. I wish you all the best and hope it all goes well. My journey is just beginning too.

Take care and be safe x

Silvermoon55 likes this.
  16. Lance M

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I went to 1st therapist session today.

It was difficult to get started but he made me feel very comfortable with my issue and by the end I was a lot less comfortable.

I have another session in two weeks to continue chat. He took a lot of notes. We talked about my whole family and I brought up a lot of sensitive memories. I choked up at times.

At next session I need to get some coping tools to help both myself and my wife.

17. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Lance.....I'm so glad that you did this. I think talking to the therapist will be a big help - it will help you see things more clearly and help you find ways to cope with the issues that face you.
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

18. Lance M

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ty David. My only concern is that I think my wife thinks it will deal with my CD. She doesn’t want to address the fact that I might be bisexual which would be difficult for her to deal with.

19. WonderQuest

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It sounds like a good start. You've started talking to someone who will listen without judgment and I think that is really important when you are working through something like this. The future seems scary right now, but remember you are moving towards being who you really are. You deserve to be you! You're worthy of this. I hope things go well for you with next steps.

20. WonderQuest

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks! I can convince myself that this isn't real for a little while, but my true feelings come back. Some how I managed to block it out for a long time because I didn't want to deal with it. It feels different this time as I have some level of acceptance now.