1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Son came out

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by sonisgay, Dec 17, 2013.

1. truthsearcher

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    1. Thank you for being awesome about his coming out. I wish my parents reacted how you did. We need more people like you.

2. If anything, that he has come out to you, and you can support him in is life, journey and relationships means that he will more likely have a smoother run of things. When parents don't know, it is so much easier for us to fall into unhealthy or abusive relationships, but being able to share with you, bring people home and be a part of a family community AS a relationship.. its so huge. Not only does it validate and support us, but it means that we know you care, and we are much more likely to consider your advice and opinions about relationships and such. So please, support him, share with him. Let him bring boys home, and love the boyfriends he brings home just as you would love on the girlfriends or daughter in law.

2. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I wish i had parents like you guys , i would have came out a long time ago , I'm 25 years old and still had not come out to my parents because all they do is say bigoted things about gays , lesbians and bisexuals . It's pretty hard to sit and hear your mom on the phone talk to her friend and her friend say "women are suppose to be with men " and your mom answer "yes and these people are evil and have a vice " .
    I'd say your son is very brave and since i am not independent and still live with my parents , I don't plan on coming out anytime soon .I've known i wasn't straight since i was 8 years old . I wish my parents could be this accepting but i know when i come out I'll get bashed by my mom for not telling her so long and make to feel bad because of it . It makes me happy to see a loving parent that will not demonize their kid for being gay and I must say i am very proud of you for being accepting and loving to your son . I wish i could have that the only person that will be loving to me will probably be my future girlfriend and not my family but what can you do . It's still nice to see a parent that doesn't act like mine .

#42 stocking, Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  3. charmander

Did you mention he said he :New for years?
    He doesn't seem confused. Not at all.
    I knew when I was seven...somewhat

4. Deaderpool2

hey, got nothing to add really other than ur a cool dad and i hope this new year will bring ur family close again. please keep in touch, it must be really hard for u & despite earlier comments you can freely speak ur mind here. and know that many young teenagers wish they could have a parent as understanding and thoughtful as u, despite whatever feelings or worries they (the parent) might have inside.