1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Signs to Tell Someone Is Gay

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mercedez, Sep 10, 2006.

1. godfather

godfather Guest

well personally im awful with the 'GAYDAR' and i like to talk to the guy to find out (can take a while)

2. charli3

you can never really tell unless they admit it...

3. Vampyrecat

my mum's friend's husband from work is straight as an arrow and has every single stereotype including a love of hot pink....

4. respirit

Okay so what I've read so far tend to be only stereotypical things that I'd hope most people already know of. But according to statistics (too lazy to find the webby sue me) there are certain genetic traits that occur more frequently in homosexuals.

The first of which is being left-handed, so yeah hey ever wonder why it seems like so many artists are gay...well around 50% of ALL artists are left-handed (again too lazy to cite so there may be some inaccuracies). This of course does not mean that all lefties are gay, it's just that it's a higher chance that they are in comparison with righthanded counterparts. (1/3rd more likely for men, about double for women...and lefthandedness occurs much less frequently in women)

And the next trait which is one that I've just heard recently...well you know how people's hair swirls in a certain direction...well again according to stats, it's more likely for someone to be gay if their hair swirls counter-clockwise. But of course the percentage is pretty negligible (10% of people with hairswirls that are closewise are gay...20% for counterclockwise people).

Now I'm by no means saying this is a fact, but hey you guys wanted signs so here they are. :slight_smile:
    Oh and fine here are my sources...
    Counterclockwise whorls
    Left-handedness

#24 respirit, Oct 8, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  5. step49x

Yeah, I've heard about the hair swirl thing, as well. I have yet to check my own hair, though.

I don't really have that much to add, besides the fact that I also have a broken gaydar. Anyone know where we can get them fixed? lol

It's always fun reading the stereotypes. I don't think I'd wear tight clothing, even if someone paid me. Cargo pants all the way! I also have very little sense of style, and have yet to spend any time at the mall (besides to go to RadioShack).

6. Thats weird if lefthandedness is less frequent in women because all the lefties I've ever encountered are women.

#26 Midnight Angel, Oct 8, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2007
  7. step49x

I'm left-handed. Although, you've probably never "encountered" me, before

8. I'm ambidextrous but like you said we've never encountered each other lol.

9. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol.. I've been able to guess 5 guys out as gay and it turned out true. And one girl but I wasn't really being serious.

[Teh psychic knoweth all!] :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

But really, the whole gaydar thing I reckon is bull.. If someone acts 'gay' you'll be able to tell easily.

10. Vates

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    "I'm left handed," I murmur inconsequentially.

Anyway, I think that there are definate signs, but I think that it's a combination of characteristics that sets my gaydar off - especially a handy dose of intuition.

11. budhead

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm new to all this.

I've gone to only two "Coming Out" discussion groups and I don't know any gays here in London, Ontario. I've had no experience with gay men until these two group meetings in Toronto.

I sure can tell you that all the guys in these two meetings sure as hell had the stereotypical gay mannerisms and way of dressing. So, I'm assuming that most gays are probably detectable. Some were moving their hands about, sighing, highly groomed, feminine looking/acting and one had their sweater tied around their neck.

Sadly, I'm very hard to detect as being gay, unless you're a guy that I fancy then I'll say some gay things in a teasing way. I wish I was more detectable, as I would be able to attract a guy's attention instead of females.

One of the guys at the group said I was butch, not gay at all. I felt like an outsider and most definitely while I was walking around the gay village. I almost felt like wrapping myself in the Rainbow flag.

It's all so complicated, but that's what makes life interesting. Hopefully I'll learn how to telegraph that I'm gay.

I learned in the meeting that if a guy is looking at you, to keep looking at them. If they are straight then they'll look away. It's going to be hard for me to do, as this can lead to a confrontation in the straight world. It's seen as a challenge.

12. Cloud Nine 5

Well I was right about 3 people from middle school. One was extremely feminine and the other 2 were extremely quiet and insecure looking and had this "I have a huge secret" look on their face. OH and one of them had a Britney Spears track on his mp3 player. So yeah.

But you can't tell. I don't listen to particular music or do things that are "gay" but I'm still gay. I wonder what's the real percentage of gay people, not just people that choose to admit/"act" like it.

13. SadConfusedBandGeek

Hmmm i show ALL of those traits lol. Weird. But i cant seem to put weight evenly on both my legs, cause it bugs me hahaha.. and my lips are redder cuz i play instruments ALL THE TIME. haha.

14. NobodyKnows

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    man, i wish this was like a set it stone thing.

15. Zak

Zak

Grrrrr, my gaydar is like horrible! My sister can spot a gay a mile away, IDK how she does it,but she can, she probably knows about me, but won't tell me.....Soo, I love going shopping at the mall....Abercrombie, AE, Arepostale, Holister!!!! =P I also talk with my hands, which everyone says is "Gay". I talk like a girl like 24/7!!! OMG!!!! <-See.(I do the like popular girl accent too) OOOhhhhh No You Didn't!!! hmmm mhm. Lol, sooo, anyway....*High 5* Everything I do is considered gay at my school! Lolz

16. Quitex

Quitex Guest

You're sooo funny! LOL!

Well yeah. I dont use expensive designer clothes or w/e... but hummmm people tend to think I'm gay by the way I talk/walk and that I can hit those hard whistle notes.... Oh and the fact that I LOVE christina aguilera, people are like... ugh... ummm... yeah. all guys like metal and hard rock and black metal thingy stuff, and when they talk about it I'm like... heh.. yeah... cool isn't it? mmmhm.

And gay guys most of the times have their hair dyed and/or overreact. I overreact, and I want to dye my hair blonde. that's like... 50% done, 50% to do so?

I am intrigued by this guy that has his hair dyed and is sooooo cute... Its funny that I'm starign at him, then he looks at me and I like blush right away. 10 secs later I turn around to stare at him and he's staring at me, still! :O
    He might think I'm gay (I hope he is too!!) or weird. Or both?

(!)

17. Quitex

Quitex Guest

Ooooh, ooooh sorry for double post:
    My gaydar is very, VERY off. I tend to see everyone gay. Well I think everyone's gay until proven straight. LOL.
    Only in obvious situations my gaydar worked. Like when they use lipsticks and talked like paris hilton (YES, there's a guy that talks exactly as her. Guess what? yes, he is gay. He is cute too. From the neck down. His face is horrible. ewww. but his body is HOT~~)
    SO yay! I'm rambling.

Summerizing: My gaydar doesn't work. And I wonder about people a lot. A hell lot.

18. Tokarov

Tokarov Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I fill only 1 sterotype...I have a LOT of girl friends lol. Thats it, I don't fit any others. My friends that know, tell me it's very hard to tell that I was gay. :eek: I have my moments though lol.

but I know a guy who is Clothing-Savyy...who cant be straighter.
    I guess you just never know...

19. youth13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Honestly i think the best ways of telling if someones gay is the way they walk (any swaying hips).
    If theyre interested in sports/theatre arts (if theatre not always but its a hint. and if theyre very sportsy than most likely not gay)
    If they dye their hair (itll be obvious if they do)
    If they constantly touch their hair for absolutely no reason
    their clothes wont always be feminine but sometimes very dark (depends on personality)
    and the biggest is do they act strange around guys, like just not knowing what to talk about (mainly cuz they cant relate)

20. Skiel

Skiel Guest

If they stare at me and check me out, then they are gay :grin:. But i always get too scared to return the stare sigh* one time in my freshman in college this guy sitting a few rows behind me saw me looking and he made such an obvious frown. Ever since then, i thought it'd be best not to stare that obviously at people i like LMAO
    I tend to have bad gaydar though. Apart from the usual stereotypical gays, i can't tell if someone is gay.