1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I did it!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Martin, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey peeps,

Just to let you know that I am fine and appreciate all the support. (*hug*) I have copied the summary of what happened from the mods forum so hopefully this will still make sense for you all.

==========

Rightio, a summary of what happened.

I got home from the dentist about 4:15pm. My dad was already at home and my mum had warned me that if he says "we" when talking to me he really means just him. As soon as I was in he told me to sit down so he could talk to me, and the first thing he said was "I don't believe it". That practically started up my defensive side and that's when I knew this was going to turn sour. I was pointing out that any denial is down to him and isn't my problem, so he then started going on about how people will judge me as a paedophile as that's what people judge gays as. :confused: I then stormed off upstairs into my room and refused to talk. That didn't stop him as he then stood outside preaching more stupid shit which resulted in me storming out and pushing my way past him.

He carried on following me and we eventually ended up in the kitchen (my mum stuck in the middle of this) and he basically said that nobody can find out because it will destroy the family otherwise. He was also adament that I would get battered by everybody and that I would spend my whole life unhappy. He even suggested I spend my life in denial rather than try and accept it. He didn't seem to realise that I never have and never will care about what random people say about me. Even my mum pointed out to him that I'm similar to her because neither of us care what people think of us. Neither of us have ever been bullied because we never care to react to what anybody would say to us. We either defend ourselves and shout back or simply laugh at them. Anyway, my dad then moved on to how he thought it was nothing more than a phase. He even got on to people he supposedly knew who went through such a phase and in the end i just shouted "I don't care" at him. I can only really be sure of my sexuality when i'm around 30, according to my dad. :rolleyes: He also thinks I am naive for thinking that I and others are capable of living happily and accepting it, and that I should spend my life trying to change it rather than just accepting something that "is unnatural". The best bit was when he said all gay people are flamboyant, wear pink, talk girly and have a limp wrist. It's the first time I had ever actually heard an adult say it and actually think it's true. At this point I was calling him a narrow minded idiot, and he got offended when I called him and his mates football hooligans (which they are. they're idiots).

My mum was mostly quiet and looking really uncomfortable. The evil glare she was giving my dad was enough to make him burst into flames. All she said was that she was worried about how the bigots would react if they knew, which is a fair enough concern. My dad wasn't satisfied this was enough so then tried to get her to side with him and say more which resulted in them two shouting at each other.

The argument never really progressed anywhere. My dad never said anything I hadn't thought in the last few years and he just used a concerned smokescreen to cover his concerns for what others will think of him. His arguments just repeated themselves and he ignored me when I showed how I never cared about what he was saying. Eventually after an hour or so my mum decided to seperate us and told me to go upstairs as it was just getting more and more aggressive.

At this point I was just so pissed off that I just wanted to lie quietly on my bed. I just sat listening to my I-pod and texted Paul (as you have read) with updates on the fiasco. My mum came in to see if I was ok and to say that he'll get used to it in time. Around 7PM I had a really bad headache (I assume from being that upset) and my eyes felt ready to pop. I can't remember what time I fell asleep but I was woken up around 8:30 by my mum asking if I was ok and if I needed anything. I then went back asleep and never woke up until 7AM. I then did the usual morning crap and then headed off to college, and now here I am avoiding the cuntbag. :grin:

I'm hoping he will just carry on avoiding me from now on. I can't be bothered talking to him and if he tries to start another discussion then I'm not even going to bother listening. If it comes to it then I'll tell everybody in the world just to spite him and ruin this "reputation" crap he is paranoid about. If he doesn't have one then he can't complain about it. ^_^

2. Helen

Helen Guest

(*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*)

You're being ever so brave about all this, and you're doing exactly the right thing ^_^

It's really good that your mum's on your side about this, and that you're both strong enough to just ignore it. I hope something falls on his head at some point to make him realise just what he's saying to his own son =/.

3. panda

Good on ya mate.! Very strong stuff. Give it all time.:thumbsup:

4. We're glad to see you back Martin! And well done for coping so well with all this, i would have lost the plot by now, so go you, you should be very proud of yourself!

i think your mum sounds really cool, and supportive, and thats brilliant, you have someone there to be on your side when you need them to be. In the end, all i can say is that, as long as you are happy, and comfortable with your sexuality, then that's the main thing, i know your parent's and their opinions, but it is you that is going to live your life, and if you choose to live it as a Gay man, then that is entirely your choice.

Well done, and our thoughts are still with you, and we are all here when you need us.
    For anything. At all.

Marie x x

5. riddlerno1

It sounds like your dealing with this in the right way! think your dads confusion about what it is to be gay is clouding his judgments on the fact your still his son. His stereotypical comments on being gay just show how little he knows. Hang in there mate! (*hug*)

6. Psychedelic Bookmarks

Aww, Martin. You poor little ghey. I think you maybe need your rainbow re-inflating right now, do you? Well, I have an enormous marsh-mallow cushion in rainbows which I'm sending you telepathically right now. Remember that no matter what your Dad says, you can be happy as yourself, you will be happy, and you deserve to be happy. He'll come round - and if he doesn't, all of us fellow pedophiles and "unhappy outcasts" will come round and bonk him on the head with our rainbows until he sees sense. Sound good? (&&&) I'm sure that things can only get better, however slow that may be. :kiss:

7. -Michael-

Time heals all....

It just the shock, my dad said the same things (but more calmly).

Now he's used to the idea.
    He's just worried how the world will react to you and your 'feelings'
    Its just concern for your well being in the long run.

Itll get better

8. Derek the Wolf

Just give your father some more time, he'll get over this eventually. It's gonig to be difficult for him to get past his prejudice towards gay people, but sooner or later he'll realize that you're his son, and you should matter more to him than anything in the world. Good luck Martin.

9. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's certainly a rough situation, but you seem to be handling it very well. Much better than your father is. Stay as strong as you are now and don't try to mold yourself to maintain his reputation.

This is where a long line of hug smilies would go.

10. TriBi

Well done, stay calm - just hang in there, hold your ground and let him be the one to make an idiot of himself.

Oh - and more of these (*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)

11. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

*checks closet wardrobe*
    Hmm nope, no pink.
    Last time i checked my voice resembled a fog horn and my wrist were quite erect actually.
    Please pass this breaking news on to your father.

Best. Visual. Ever.

====

So sorry to hear things went sour with your dad. Or should i say im sorry your dad has a problem he desperately needs to resolve.
    As you so rightfully put, it's his problem, not yours.

On the other hand i am elated to hear your mother came to your defense. Although its only what any sensible parent would do; it would seem sensibility is in short supply these days.

Focus all your energies on your mother, your dad will work through his issues in his own time. Remember the stages. It will be awhile, but he will soon come to realize that rejecting you as he did means losing the affection his family. (*hug*):kiss:

(&&&)

PS: I want to give you a biiiig hug!

12. ScentedRegrets

Oh dear, Martin. That is really not the response I was hoping to read. I really am sorry that things turned this way, but I can only envision them getting better. As a few others had indicated, I think that his message is clear (that he cares about you and your happiness), but where I think he is lacking is in his delivery. I don't think he is portraying the message as he intends... in fact, many such fears about my own father have prompted me to remain in the closet with him for the short-term future. I really applaud you for your response, it sounds as if you know who you are, and more importantly, are proud of who you are.

I am proud of you, Martin, and I understand that I run the risk of sounding odd by saying this, but you are actually inspiring me with the courage you have shown. I made this posting because I want you to know that I am behind you, but also as a short thank you for sharing your experience.

All of the best Martin, you will be in my thoughts for another day tomorrow, as you have been for the past week or so. Like many folks on here, I am here if you need someone to chat with.

13. Techcompu2

I say talk to beckyg about what type of materials you might need to show him about the subject. Sorry that he is not taking it very good! Hope everything gets better!(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*):kiss:

14. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*) You can never have too many hugs. I really hope he comes to his senses in time. Just remember that you're wonderful, and that every one of us is right behind you.

15. ausdtc

Hey Martin, it's good to see you're hanging in there! I hope your dad realises that it doesn't matter real soon now, and that you're still the same son he's always known.

And, I can't forget this: (&&&)

16. ccdd

ccdd Guest

I'm really sorry to hear this Martin. I had hoped that things would get better, and I still hope they do, but I was really sorry to hear this (*hug*). I'm glad you have your mum's support at least, and I hope that one day your dad comes to accept it and that things over the next few weeks don't explode too much (*hug*).

17. vampireboy56

vampireboy56 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    awwwww I'm sorry Martin... hugs from CA