1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Group Addiction Recovery

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by xxAngelOnFirexx, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Psychedelic Bookmarks

well done! that's so great! keep going! i had 2 friends who used to self harm, so i know a little bit of the pain it can cause. everyone here supports you and we're sure you can do it! keep up the good work!! keep reminding yourself of the positive effects of giving your addiction up, and the rewards you're giving yourself instead.(*hug*)

2. Jim1454

Way to go you guys!!! This is awesome!

Morgan, Just like I promised, the urges slowly subside the longer you can go without acting on them. Your brain has a chance to 'reprogram' itself, and not resort to the bad habit every time you start to feel down.

Good job everyone!

3. Steam Giant

It's actually my one month today too ^^ which makes me really happy! Also, my mood stabilizer stopped making me dizzy/cross-eyed! Hurray! I feel like a regular human being now!

4. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Congratulations Morgan and Dan! You guys are doing really well. :slight_smile:

5. Jim1454

That's soooo great! I'm really happy for you!

6. Jim1454

Today is the 7th of November - I'm pretty distracted at work today. Having a lot of trouble focussing, and using EC as a distraction I guess. There are worse things to do, right? :icon_wink

7. xxAngelOnFirexx

day 33. i'm not cutting or SI. but i am trying my best to starve myself. not cause i think i'm fat. not cause i want to be really thin. not for punishment. i just like it and it makes me feel strong for not eating. i eat two meals a day. i try to make them tiny and nutritious. i still weigh the same but i look noticably thinner. i ate a big lunch, tiny breakfast so no dinner. also i plan on skipping lunch now at school. make smaller breakfasts. stuff like that. its like one addiction after another starving, cutting, choking, cutting, choking, cutting, starving. (thats the pattern of my addictions over the last two years.)

eh long as i'm not cutting. thats all that matters to me.

8. Jim1454

^ um... not sure that's such a good idea. But then again, I tend to eat too much. The experts say that you should eat small portions on a regular basis. Otherwise, your body goes into 'starvation mode' and slows down your metabolism. So the net effect is zero. Until, of course, you start to eat regularly, and then the weight piles on. So starving yourself won't have the desired impact I'm afraid...

Having said that, good job on the cutting thing. (I don't want to talk about the choking thing - that sounds horrible! Keep starving yourself if choking is the alternative!)

9. Steam Giant

I've been doing okay. For the past few days now I've been having...they're not really urges, just ideas. Really really dark ideas. That's why I started writing this story, as an outlet, because I can feel the ideas building up, and I really don't want this to turn into an urge.

The trouble is, I've been so busy with work that I haven't had the time to do any writing lately. I'm trying my best to keep these ideas out of my head, but it's difficult. I'm also very frustrated because I've been getting depressed for a couple of days in a row, when my meds should be helping me with that. I'm also somewhat concerned about that, because it's possible that this is a sign that these anti-depressants are going to stop working. I like Prozac, though! It works and is VERY cheap! $4 for 30 pills! Well, they're generic, but still!

Ugh...I don't even feel like finishing my work right now. I'll just do it when I get back from my friend's house, or I'll wake myself up earlier in the morning and do it then. I'll be safe tonight, don't any of you worry about that. I'm just kinda down right now.

And Morgan, please make sure you don't drop below two meals a day! And don't reduce them to too small amounts of food! I know you're not really doing it to diet, but you know what this can do to you ; ; also, the reason I'm so concerned is that I've starved myself as a form of SI in the past. Sorry for not mentioning that earlier. I know you said it's not SI for you, but I just want you to know why I'm so worried when it comes to this.

10. Leon481

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Glad to hear that everyone's doing okay.

It's been a rough couple of weeks. My whole family caught a nasty bug within 3-4 days of each other, with me getting sick last. I ended up eating a lot more than I like because I just needed to keep my energy up. It was still better than my old eating habits but it was enough that if I wasn't careful could lead back to overeating. Then yesterday I slipped badly and before I realized it I had made myself sick. Right now, I'm calling it special circumstances and going back to monitoring what I eat, but it made me realize that I really need to watch myself better.

I think that without realizing it, I've been looking for any excuse to eat again. I just haven't found one until now. I've really got to watch for this in the future. It's the kind of thing that could really get me into trouble if I'm not careful.

11. Steam Giant

(*hug*)

Don't worry about it ^^ we all slip up. What matters is that we stand back up and keep going! It is important to eat when you're sick, you're absolutely correct, but now you've got to make sure that you can go back to your normal, healthy eating habits, like you said. That's very important. Just keep reminding yourself that you're trying to defeat your addiction to eating, and that there really is no excuse to overeat. You're doing great ^^ just hang in there, okay?

I've been doing better now, although the week got off to a rocky start due to trouble with work. Basically, I've been slacking off ; ; which is probably hard for some people here to believe, and easy for others, heh. Anyway, speaking of which, I'd best get back to work. Typing meaningless numbers and blasting music is enough to keep my mind off of these dark thoughts.

12. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Absolutely! You guys are fighting some strong addictions, so there will be moments when the addiction wins. If these give you the determination to stand up and beat it, then you're moving in the right direction. Don't let the brief lapses get you down. (&&&)

13. Jim1454

Absolutely - the longer you go, the easier it should be.

However, be aware that as the addiction itself has less power over you, you may start to notice other things about yourself or other emotions that you don't like or you're not sure how to handle. That's all part of the process. You've been using your addiction as an 'escape' from reality, so when you stop using or even contemplating using that escape you may find yourself more aware of the things you were escaping from!

So be ready for them. Instead of reacting in your normal way (i.e. using the addiction) keep a journal, or call a friend and talk about what you're feeling.

Good luck!

14. xxAngelOnFirexx

doing great with cutting but with my new addiction, not eating, its going shaky. but i never said i'd stop anything but cutting so thats all i'm worrying about. this last weekened i ate a ton (okay probably like 5x less than most of u..) but i felt bad. i tried to make myself throw up but it wouldn't work. but last night i completely binged on candy. then i actually accomplished throwing up. and something for me is better than nothing even if its not everything. then instead of fat sugars i ate a bowl of protien cereal. along with 3 more treats i believe. i wasn't going to eat breakfast but i managed 90% of my daily allowance. now i can only eat 50 for dinner. so i'm just not going to. that means lots of water, diet Coke, and other low-cal drinks for me. i hate being so weak and eating! i feel like a failure!

15. Steam Giant

You are not weak for eating, and you are not strong for eating nothing at all! Your body needs food to function. Overeating is a problem, of course, but right now you're eating a dangerously low amount of food. You don't have to starve yourself in order to get the results you desire. In fact, starving yourself will both make it harder to lose weight and look good, and it will also damage your body. Plus, if your addiction to not eating gets worse, they'll be forced to put you in a hospital where the nurses make sure that you eat, and I know you wouldn't want that.

Even if I can't get you to eat a healthy amount of food, please at least eat breakfast in the morning, even if it's small. It'll give you the energy you need to get through the day.

16. biisme

i haven't been following this thread but i have to agree with steam giant. you need to eat. once your body runs out of easily usable energy it will turn to fat. but it also turns to muscle, especially if you're already thin. losing muscle mass is not good. it will get harder to function adn you could seriously injure yourself if you continue like this. eat.

17. Jim1454

Day 111 today for me. Still feeling quite good about my situation. I'm a little anxious about my doctor's appointment today... I had blood work done a couple of weeks ago and I'm getting the results today. Looking to get a clean bill of health after 3 months of abstinance.

18. Jim1454

I'm back from the doctors office and everything was fine. :thumbsup:

19. Steam Giant

Yaaay! Awesome!! (*hug*) That's very good news! And great job in keeping clean for 111 days! That's just fantastic! ^^ Keep it up, you're doing great!

20. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Excellent news Jim! :slight_smile: