1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fallen like a fool.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by nikkigreen, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Patrick7269

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    nikkigreen,

Oh boy do I wish I wasn't in a place to know what this feels like. It is hard, and unfortunately is all too common to have feelings that can't (or shouldn't) be returned. Still, my experience is different from yours, so please take this with a grain or three of salt. But I hope it helps.

I've found this advice to be helpful. This article and this one are a bit more technical and really really great in my opinion. You get the idea; there are many resources online like these for you to find. I suggest you take a little time to research this as a phenomenon like an analyst would.

We're conditioned in life to always think of others and to put others' feelings before our own. This isn't the time to do that. This is your time to think about what you need and to give yourself permission to be selfish - without your crush being a factor in any way. You can find happiness for yourself without her, and you owe it to yourself (at a minimum) to do so. Your action-reaction-action-reaction pattern with her is actually just a way of perpetuating the feeling of connection, and also a way of perpetuating the pain.

Perhaps you can learn about yourself in the process of understanding and then letting go. What is it exactly that draws you to her? What so compels you to feel that she fills this space in you, and what are those qualities that make her so amazing? Exactly what do you feel you want from her?

First, realize that no one is perfect and that because of your feelings you very likely have put her on a pedestal. You see her in a way that feels real to you because of your emotions, but you are not seeing her objectively. This doesn't mean that she isn't an amazing person full of good qualities, but she's no better than you. You don't need anything from her that you don't already have.

Second, what are your own amazing qualities? Go ahead, be selfish, be self-indulgent, and be vain. What's your awesomeness that only you can give someone else? Why are you also a great, great catch? If you can see that you have an amazing life and that you are treasure, then you won't desire external treasure. This means that you are able to make yourself happy rather than rely on the approval of someone else for your happiness.

I remember well (too well, even today) when I fell for a coworker in 1999-2000. Ironically he was the office homophobe until I (professionally, politely) asked him to "knock it off". After that we were inseparable. It all felt perfect because we had what I felt was "chemistry" - he was that very straight-acting guy that I always wanted approval from - not unlike the approval I missed from my father. But he was married to a woman, had one child, and was soon to have another.

To this day I believe that he's closeted and we did have some very real chemistry. But the head is also needed to live a good life, not just the heart. If he couldn't return my feelings, as much as it felt like he should, then that is the last word. "Could not" is actually synonymous with "would not" or "will not". If he says he's married and in love with a woman it's not my place to doubt him or second guess. In fact, that violates the sanctity of him as a human being.

It took me time to see that back then, and I went through a lot of heartache until I could see that in reality I was treating him as an object, not a human being. Both the head and the heart are needed for wisdom.

Looking back I was also lying to myself that nothing was wrong. After all, we didn't have sex, so there was no affair - right?

Wrong.

I gave up something equally precious as my body - I gave him my heart and my mind. Willingly. He never even asked or encouraged me. I was so convinced that I needed his approval or affection to validate me, and yet I gave up the very treasure that I desired. That's messed up, and that's why the heart can really make a fool of any of us.

That being said, be gentle with yourself and take extra good care of yourself. You haven't done anything "wrong" in my opinion, you just need to temper your heart with your head. Live in balance, not one way or another. In time you'll see that the real love you need was yours all along.

Much love,

Patrick

Seattle, WA

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Its ok I remember being new even if it was a while ago.

Patrick made some interesting points, it wasn't really an angle I was coming at it from and I didnt get the impression that you thought the only way you could be happy was if she came running back to you, but if you are then my comment is go find some other girls haha.

I do understand it from her girlfriends point of view as well and whilst it is easy for us to see her as the bad guy in all of this im sure they are both partly at fault in their relationship if even just for not realising they would probably better happier apart.

3. nikkigreen

Patrick, silverhalo

Thank you so much for your responses, they are very much appreciated and I'm sure that in time I will get over her, it just seems so hard right now.

What do I like about her? I could say everything but I do think I am seeing things through rose tinted glasses right now. I liked her openness about a lot of things, she doesn't let people in easily and has trusted me with some secrets, some of which her girlfriend doesn't even know. I know a lot about her childhood which was rough and also her family, who she has mentioned me to in the past. I also like that we can talk work and it makes the day go quicker, not talking to her has definitely made the days longer.

I know I will be fine in time and she has told me that many people have told her that they are not suited for one another. She's told me she has her doubts but also doesn't see herself with anyone else.

The reason why I am in the 'wrong' is because I told her how I felt and I shouldn't have knowing that she was already in a relationship but we were talking one day and it just slipped out. Then last week I said it again. I know I shouldn't have but she kept pressing me for the reason for my sadness and so I said. All throughout I have said this isn't a problem as she doesn't have feelings for me too and she is trusted. Whereas her girlfriend thinks that I used her and was pretending to be nice to her whenever we met.

Overall, I guess I just want her to be happy and I'm not saying I can give her that but on social media I retweeted something and she thought it was aimed at her and her girlfriends happiness - still not sure why she would assume this. Then again I am assuming she is unhappy.

Maybe with me out of the picture, they can work on their relationship and I could get my friend back again.

Thank you again xo

4. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No worries. Time is a great healer.

I cannot make you get over her quicker but if you need a distraction or a listening ear I am always here. I dont think you necessarily did anything wrong I mean perhaps you could have not said it the second time but then you wouldnt have been truthful. I dont think it is wrong to say it though I mean imagine if you hadnt said it and then regretted that forever.
    I am a great believer that things and people happen for a reason, maybe once you are over her you will realise why she came into your life even though it was quite brief.

5. nikkigreen

Thing is, before the girlfriend officially knew, she thought she knew. She knows my crush better than anyone and so her texting me and emailing me all the time was something she had never seen before. Didn't help the other people telling her either. For a while I have been unknowingly the cause of their arguments. As far as the girlfriend knows, I am out of the picture 100% so hopefully the next time they argue, it's not about me.

Well I learned that work and personal lives shouldn't be intwinned and in future if I do fall for someone in a relationship then to cut away from that friendship quick. I am glad I said it though as like you say, I could've regretted not saying it.

I'm going to move on, no point dwelling and everyone here has no idea what their words mean to me.

I really do hope that one day soon I can update you all and say I got my friend back..... and not just during work hours :wink:

6. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha or alternatively I dont mind an update where you tell me you have met a new even more amazing woman who is free and single......this would work for me :slight_smile:

We all need people to talk to sometimes.

7. nikkigreen

Yes that would work for me also!

Update on woman: had some chit chat via email today about work. She later called me to get some information on something which is strange as she could have spoke to any of my colleagues in the office yet chose to speak to me. Gave her the information she needed and had a bit more chit chat and that was it. Why me I don't know.
    Feeling better as the days go past :slight_smile:

8. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am glad you are feeling better. Not too many work days left until Christmas.
    Hopefully the more she sees you are being friendly but not seeking out interaction hopefully the sooner everything will settle down.

9. RaGePUPPeR

:slight_smile:I'm so sorry to hear all of this!

I have exerienced a little bit of what your friend is feeling: not wanting to lose first love. I know it can be tough for a three ends: the couple, and the friend. Ahain, I'm sorry about this, and you are in my thoughts/prayers! :slight_smile:

10. nikkigreen

Thank you
    I spoke with a straight male friend about the situation and he said from his POV and experiences that he thinks she does like me and is playing games and needs to work out whether I am worth the risk of losing her relationship for and as I announced my feelings so early on then there's no need for her to rush into anything and so she will keep me close to see if it can be a long term thing.
    Funny how our minds work differently!

11. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Absolutely and only she knows the truth. Haha just need to find that other girl now.

12. nikkigreen

And then admitting the truth is a whole new ball game!
    Exactly, I need to get on that hunt :wink:

Another good is that my homophobic mother knows half the story (that there's this woman who is also gay and work and that we are no longer allowed to talk under girlfriends request) actually asked me if I liked the girl all my posts are about. I didn't want to go into it and said no but I was shocked that my mother would be so normal about me dating women when in the past she hadn't. So progress made there!

13. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess maybe it takes a more normal situation for her to see it as normal. Time is a great healer. When did you come out to her?
    On I side note I am intrigued as to why you said no? You don't have to say if you don't want to.

14. nikkigreen

Years ago

I said no as I didn't want her to lecture me on interfering with couples :wink:

Also found out from another colleague that the girl I like(d) said to another colleague that one of their most recent arguments where crush slept in different room was about us spending too much time talking to eachother. This was just before I told her again that I liked her - when she said we couldn't be friends. May explain her behaviour.

15. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes maybe. I'm not sure she handled it as best she could but we humans don't always do we.
    So have you dated recently? If I'm being too nosy feel free to tell me to shut up.

16. nikkigreen

Spoke to girl today and wished her a happy holidays, said I would be free a bit and told her we could hang, she said maybe then later messaged me to say that we couldn't meet at all. Felt like normal speaking but some awkward silences. Still I made her laugh a few times. Half day tomorrow then off for 2 weeks so I don't have to worry about her until next year as I doubt she will contact me.

I'm always on the lookout and like to date but haven't had one in six months. You???

17. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a long term girlfriend of 7 year so no need for dating :slight_smile:

Not that you have to take my advise but as hard as it is I would suggest giving the girl wide berth, I feel like unless she comes to you saying that her and the girlfriend are over it isn't going to end well.

18. nikkigreen

Awwwwww :slight_smile: how did you meet?

After finishing work yesterday having not spoke to crush after previous texts, out of the blue this morning she sent a joke style picture of office workers being hungover today. I simply sent a smiley face and that was it. Very random!

I have decided that a wide berth is needed! The girl needs to make a choice. Either cut me completely out of her life or sort out her relationship.

19. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like a very wise choice and it's going to be a bit tough because it feels so right but it can't work as it is at the moment and it's not fair for her to pick you up and put you down as and when it suits her.

I actually met her on EC, not that EC is really a place for that and it certainly wasn't what I was looking for when I signed up or even when I started talking to her it just kind of happened. :slight_smile:. I have a lot to thank EC for haha (!)

20. nikkigreen

Sorry for late reply, been busy with family festivities!

Haven't thought or spoke to girl in well over a week. Part of me hopes that time apart will bring us closer and one day she will tell me they have broken up but I can't see that happening at all. I think it would have happened by now. The other part of me is happy as now I can mingle :slight_smile:

Excuse my ignorance, what is EC? A dating site?