1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think that you'd be homophobic if you weren't LGBT?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rob999, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Mej7

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, because I wasn't b4 I realized I was bi, and I had always been accepting of others who knew they were LGBT. I also probably helps that I have an Aunt who is a Lesbian and has been in an monogamous relationship with a woman (who I call "Nana") since b4 I was born. I don't know- I have always been very accepting of people and what makes them different, despite the views of my rather unaccepting class-mates.

2. YellowWalrus

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    id like to believe that i wouldent be, i know ive used words like fag and queer jokingly but i know now that people get offended by that sort of foul language so i dont use those kinds of words as curses or slang now, i like to treat others how i would like to be treated thats the way i was raised so regardless of my orientation i would be sensitive to those who are lgbt.

3. gleekfanatic

gleekfanatic Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    sorry for the late post, but I just now noticed this thread. :/
    Anyway, this is how I feel about this question. You are not homophobic if you aren't LGBT. the only thing that would make you homophobic is if you don't like being around gays, lesbians, and everything homosexual-related. There are different degrees of homophobic-ness (is that even a word? hmmm), but overall, you're just afraid of being around homosexuals. Homophobia means "Fear of Homosexuals", so that should give you an idea. It's based on how you feel about gays, lesbians, bisexuals, and transgenders in general.

4. super confused

Before I realized that I'm gay, I wasn't homophobic. So, no. Probably not. And I'd just like to quote Ron White for a second. "Isn't that just the most useless thing you can be: afraid of gay people? We're all gay. It's just 'to what extent are you gay?'" :roflmao:

5. NoPlanB

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Honestly, I am extremely grateful that I'm gay, if only to understand this issue better. I'd hate to see what I'd be like if I was on the outside looking in.

6. KatKut

I'll never know...

there is no answer to this question :slight_smile:

7. Vesper

I am pretty socially liberal, I have many friends who are open-minded and supportive of the LGBT community, and I live in a city that's LGBT-friendly, so I would likely be a strong ally regardless of my own sexual orientation. One difference might be that I wouldn't post nearly as much about LGBT issues on Facebook and Twitter as I do now.

8. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Honestly, I probably would be.

Considering my whole family is pretty much anti-gay, I'm guessing I would be the same way.

9. Abayomi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Naw

No I don't think I would because my parents have always been really open minded.

One of my mom's best friends when she was a highschool student was gay and super flaming. According to her :3

And my dad raised my brother and especially me to be really interested in all sorts of cultures. We would play a game when I was younger where in the car he'd switch the radio to a random international channel and I had to guess what language they were singing in and what style of music it was. It kind of drove my mom crazy though because she never liked Hindi songs and that was my dad's favourite xD But it made appreciating and wanting to understand other types of people a lot easier.

Also, I live in Canada ^_____^ which is pretty gay friendly and diverse.

And hi guys, I'm new and this is my first post :slight_smile:

10. RainbowWolfie

When I was in 6th or 7th grade, my friend (girlfriend now) came out of the Closet and said she was Bisexual.

It doesn't bother me. Back then I had no idea that I wasn't Straight, and it never upset me or anything of the sort.

People are people, and that doesn't change if their sexual orientation does.

^_^

11. ThatCoopKid

I'd love to say absolutely not, but there's honestly no way of telling. A big portion of the reason that I'm so accepting about other sexualities now is because I'm curious myself. But if I had been straight? There's no way for me to determine if I would still be the same person, or think the same way I do now. Although, if I did have to answer, I'd suspect it would be no. Growing up, I never liked racism or how people treated anyone who was different with disgust, so I probably wouldn't be homophobic.

12. Linthras

Linthras Guest

No.
    I've been raised open-minded, was already supportive of LGBT people before realising my sexuality.
    Also I was bullied as a child for being different > to introvert, so I can empathize on those grounds even if I wasn't LGBT.