1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think that you'd be homophobic if you weren't LGBT?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rob999, Mar 27, 2012.

1. shy

shy

don't think so, as I wasn't before questioning. But I always had problems to accept myself.

2. Just Passing

I would like to think that I wouldn't be, but I certainly would have less understanding of homosexuality if I were straight.

3. ameliawesome

not at all. i was raised to accept everyone, and i was openly a lgbt supporter years before i fully understood my own sexuality.

4. amwm2wm3

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think I could have been. While my mother and step-father were pretty terrible people, I have a lot of queer family members and several of my childhood friends later came out, too.
    Beyond that, I'm a very accepting person across the board. I'm just as likely to stand up for the rights of, say, black people and Muslims, and I am LGBT people and I'm neither nor. But I don't know how open or accepting I would have been if I myself wasn't a minority, so I don't know.

5. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

Absolutely NOT!! I have always been super excepting of my Aunts even before I knew about my own sexuality.

6. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

I maybe.. but just a little bit,

7. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nah, I was never really homophobic when I was really really young (having no idea what sexuality is), and it probably wouldn't be different today. I still remember when I learned what gay was. I was like, 5 or 6.

Mom: my mom
    Dad: my dad
    1: my great aunt
    2: my great aunt's wife

(I barely remember it but this is basically summed up)
    Mom: "[Dad], 1's marrying 2 in July *explaining stuff about wedding*."
    Dad: "There's a lot of gays in the family... not that that's a bad thing but, it's pretty interesting to know we have some diversity in the family."
    Me: "What's gay?"
    Mom: *sighs* "[CR], gay people love people of the same gender, like mommy and daddy love each other."
    Me: "Oh, okay."
    Dad: "And you're fine with that?"
    Me: "What's wrong with it?" :grin:
    who knew I'd be like my great aunt years later ^.^

Not just that, but I've always been told that being gay is okay by my parents, and I was always raised that way (main reason they don't yet know I'm gay is just because of lack of courage lol, and planning and stuff)

8. TheAnonymity

I was pretty staunchly against it when I was young and before I hit the gay thing as I grew up. I remember there was this song I liked a lot, and my dad told me it was by Adam Lambert. I don't remember if he said if he was gay or not, but I started saying how 'why'd such a good song have to be made by a gay guy!'. My family was and is still somewhat homophobic, and it was instilled in me as I grew up. It's terrible how narrow minded I was, hating a type of people for no reason other than my parents enforced a stigma.

9. secretguyX

No, never. Even though being gay has made me more open-minded, I've always been a pretty open minded person. And even when I was younger, I didn't care at all that people were gay. I actually remember my mom explaining in the car to me what gay meant when I was about 3, and I thought it was pretty cool!

10. LimePopsicle

LimePopsicle Guest

Honestly, I don't think I'd be homophobic. Even as a little kid who knew nothing of these big issues, I felt that it was just wrong and bad if someone was hurt because they were _____. It always made me upset.

11. King

King Guest

I wouldn't be homophobic, but I'd probably be a much different person seeing as how I don't openly judge others since I'm usually judged for being gay.

12. TheAMan

If I wasn't bisexual I wouldn't be homophobic. I accept people no matter who or what they are and I just don't have the heart to make fun of someone just because they have different preferences.

13. dairyuu

Due to my mother being basically a radical right-wing activist, I think I would be completely homophobic. If I wasn't gay, I think I'd be a terrible person

14. sanguine

me too :icon_redf
    minus the radical right wing thing, i dont think id be the same person either

15. colorful

Eh. I don't think I would be too homophobic... I think that I was a generally accepting person even before I was questioning. I have just grown up in a fairly good environment. I have some people around me who are prejudiced about various groups of people, but I have enough people who aren't and I think they have really impacted me. Also, I've taken classes about social justice and I've always really enjoyed them and tryed to apply them to my life. I learned the whole "treat others as you would want to be treated" in preschool and it just developed throughout my life I guess...

---------- Post added 27th Mar 2012 at 09:27 PM ----------

This... I feel like this is true about me now, but opposite like sometimes I have a hard time understanding how you could be straight or why you would want to deny a person that loved you, but I mean I don't judge them... I don't know. I don't want to say this, but I feel like I have sometimes had to talk myself out of being heterophobic... so maybe I would be homophobic. Who knows. *shrug*

16. spacemonkey

spacemonkey Guest

huh funny that you ask this! I think I would not understand homosexual...er..ism? if it weren't for me being a lesbian. I would not understand that it is from birth, because I would have never have had the experiences or feelings I have had, or found the studies I have found if I weren't to have been urged to look it up. Would not be homophobic, I just wouldn't understand gay people, kind of in the same way I don't understand straight people! Lol

17. Jessica816

Nope I was very much pro LGBT before I realized I was apart of this wonderful community!

18. Jim94

I think I would be homophobic. Well, sometimes I still think that Im homophobic.

19. Jonathan

Honestly, with my dad's side of the family, it's quite possible that I would be.

20. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Even before I thought I might be gay, I had no problem with homosexuality or bisexality. My views on Trans issues were, admittedly, a bit ignorant, but I never had any problem with it.

Of course, as the matter grew closer to home, my sentiments grew stronger, but I was always in support of LGBT in general.