1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out Nerves

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Sammy1995, Dec 19, 2023.

1. Vintage gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Great!

Sammy1995 and Chillton like this.
  2. WonderQuest

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This made me smile. I’m so happy for you!

3. Sammy1995

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    More half a bottle of liquid courage but thanks! I feel so girly right now I love it. <3

Chillton likes this.
  4. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congrats on coming out ! What is your next step ?

Sammy1995 likes this.
  5. Carla01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Congratulation on coming out

Sammy1995 likes this.
  6. Sammy1995

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I still have my brother and mother to come out to and I've started the process of signing up for HRT privately but I'm still waiting on a response. I am strongly considering going to a support group in my city in the meantime though. Being acknowledged as trans by strangers irl is scary but it seems like a safe space.

Chillton likes this.
  7. BlueLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congratulations, Sammy! We're proud of you and, more importantly, you should be proud of yourself. :slight_smile:

The support group thing sounds like a good idea.

8. Altanero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, Sammy, so good for you, and I feel very happy! Most of us have been there, and I personally can relate the situation, your story seemed to me like when I came out to my best friend, also with lots of tears and his support... You have been so brave, Sammy, and now the next steps are always in front of you, never behind!

Sammy1995, BlueLion and Chillton like this.
  9. Deadman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congratulations Sammy!

10. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    How are you going to tell them?

11. Philbrum1815

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    How did it go? Any advice on how to go about this?.

12. Sammy1995

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It went well, I'm not sure what the best advice would be I just told them I'm trans and explained how I knew and why I wasn't honest about it sooner.

13. Sammy1995

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not 100% on that. Probably blurt out I'm trans and go from there I guess.

14. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello All.....I probably should have posted this earlier, but at times I get distracted and miss things. :old_frown: Anyway, this is a post that I have often sent to folks who are having a difficult time coming out to parents/friends/etc. I usually edit it to fit the situation but here I'll just post it in it's original form and if anyone decides to use it, you can go ahead and make any needed edits. The first part is primarily intended for younger people, but parts of it could still apply to people in their 20's, etc. The bottom part that talks about a letter is good advice for anyone facing a difficult coming out. I hope this helps...

*****Coming out can be wonderful and terrible. Occasionally at the same time! Some important factors in deciding when to come out are:
    *****Come out when YOU are ready. Don't let anyone push you into it if you are not at the place where coming out is right for you.
    *****Don't come out if there is a real chance that you will be in danger. That includes being kicked out of your house, having no way to support yourself, having all privileges (phone, computer, friends, etc.) taken away, being verbally or emotionally abused as well as the danger of physical abuse. Waiting can be very difficult, but your safety and emotional well-being are more important than being out too soon. Even though waiting might be really difficult, living in a house where there is constant conflict because you came out and your parents or your friends did not accept it could easily be much worse. You have to make that decision and in many cases waiting for a while until you will be taken more seriously is a much better choice. I'm not saying that you have to wait, I just think that you should give it serious consideration. A lot depends on how you think your parents/friends will handle your revelation.
    *****Being out in middle school/high school is easier now than it used to be...but depending on your school and your relationship with other students, it can still be a problem. Try to evaluate these things and see what you seriously think about the results of coming out would be. Sometimes waiting...even when it is so difficult...is the only safe way to come out.
    *****You might want to consider using a letter WHEN the time comes to tell your parents/friends. A big plus to a letter is that you don't have to be present when the letter is read. That can be a very big help as it eliminates the potential face-to-face confrontation that can sometimes be difficult. Coming out in writing means you will not be interrupted or face a barrage of questions that you need to answer immediately, in the heat of the moment. You get time and they get time too and that counts for a lot. It gives the people reading the letter some time to think before they talk to you. After all, you've had time to think about your sexuality, perhaps for years…giving them at least some time to think about it too only seems fair! There are some great sample coming out letters here on Empty Closets that could be a big help to you. You can edit the letter(s) to fit your situation. Even if you don't eventually use the letter, taking time to think about it and to write one will help you to be sure to say what you need to say and leave out the rest! You can then use the letter as a "script" for when you do come out face-to-face. Check out the letters (see below)...they could be a real help!
    *****Also...and this is very important!!...when you do come out, whether it's tomorrow or a year from now, your parents and/or friends will probably have questions. Take some time now to think about what those questions might be. Such as; "How do you know you're gay/trans/bi?" or "How long have you felt this way?" etc. The questions themselves will vary a great deal depending upon your family and friends...so take that into consideration. If you work up a list of five or six probable questions with the answers already planned, you will likely be perceived as a more mature, serious person.
    *****COMING OUT LETTERS: http://emptyclosets.com/home/pages/resources/coming-out-letters.php
    *****Remember...you are a part of our LGBTQ Family and we do care! Keep us updated on how things are going for you!

.....David :gay_pride_flag:

Sammy1995 likes this.
  15. Sammy1995

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I thought things went well all things considered when I came out to my brother and mother but it seems like I just messed up their mental health. Both of them accept me but will probably need counselling and they want me to stay in boymode whether I'm around them for a few years. They were not happy but were putting on a brave face because they didn't want to upset me. Not exactly what I was hoping for if I'm being honest but they get that it's not a choice and can see I'm not miserable anymore so hopefully they both come around in time.

16. Altanero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a reaction that, unfortunately, is very common. When I came out as gay to my mother, her reaction was fear and incredulity. Now I know that she would have needed therapy or counselling back then. Parents could still love us, but there are situations that they have never learnt to cope with. And our sexuality is one of them. The culture where they grew up and learnt didn't gave them the chance to understand our sexuality. My mother finally accepted me, but we never speak about my sexuality. I know that makes her feel safe... but it's a lie, and it slowly make us suffer, both of us, because it's like a wound that it's still open, although it doesn't hurt. She was upset and worried because she didn't want me to suffer due to my sexuality, but now I know that she didn't want to hear about that neither because that made her suffer.

But it's not our fault, but their work. And as long as they accept it as something natural, not a choice, not a phase... it's a question of time they fully accept you. Of course, they will have to work a lot in leraning and discovering a new world in order to reach that point, and you have to put too patience and love. Yes, we all want that our coming out would stop the feeling of hiding... but sometimes it's just the first step. The work goes on, but every step is important. You have done what you have to do, bravely and sincerelly. And that's what matters: to be true to yourself!

Sammy1995 likes this.