Age of realization

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by pronua, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Artemicion

I think it was around age...12/13 ish?

2. kellymporta

I have always been more attracted to guys than girls. However, it was only until I was 19 that I acknowledged those feelings. Then I tried to bury those feelings and deny them, and that went on until I was 22. I'm 23 and just starting to get used to the idea of being gay.

3. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I knew I wanted to marry a girl when I was 6 or so, figured out that meant I wasn't straight when I was 13, and realised that I'm gay at about 16.

4. Mad Man L

Age 14 is when I first realised.

5. needshelp

when i was 12 years old doing one of my favorite pasttimes and it just dawned on me. at that moment, i got scared to the point where i made it a priority to avoid anything associated with homosexuality. within that 12 year period, i found myself at a war where i was trying my hardest to make myself straight knowing that i probably wasn't and never was going to be straight. there were several moments where i resigned myself to accepting that i was gay but i guess the fear was too strong where i kept trying to be straight. eventually at 24 years old after having another crush on a man, i finally gave in. however, i wasn't 100 percent sure that i was gay and that's when i started questioning. looked on the internet, asked around, registered to here, asked that question and yep. i'm gay.

6. adam88

26-27 :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Yeah, I was clueless.

7. hazza

I realised that I liked guys when I was 12, but was in denial and not out to myself until I was around 16-17, which is when I first said to myself that I was gay.

8. stuwee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Since I was 3 or 4 years old, I first acted on it at 8 with a neighbor boy, accepted myself at 16 in High School, and came out to everyone a few years later.

9. maverick

I felt "same-sex" attraction in high school, but I ignored it because of the severe social stigma and stayed out of relationships almost entirely. I took on the joking identity of token monk because I appeared asexual to everyone who knew me, and converted to Buddhism because - among other things - it gave me a legitimate excuse for celibacy. When everyone in my group was coupling up, it got me off the hook, because I was "the religious one".

I was in total denial about being transgendered until I was 25. I didn't even know that there was a name for what I was feeling. I saw a documentary about it randomly while doing research on the Internet and the realization was like getting hit by a train. I started cross-dressing immediately and was overwhelmed at what a relief it was. So I abandoned all female trappings and basically began living as a guy, and have been ever since. Very few people have expressed surprise about it. My real name is already unisex, so I didn't have any big switch or anything. I just started living an authentic life.

There was only about a month period between the time that I discovered transgenderism and the time that I came out to my entire family. As soon as I had the words to articulate it, I knew what I was. Before I did that research, my only knowledge of transgendered people were transsexual prostitutes in the movies and comedy cliches like the ones in The Bird Cage.

10. Fiddledeedee

I knew I was bi a month after I hit 14, and I began to question my gender in late October/early November last year.

11. Curly

Part of me wishes I knew earlier, but another part of me is sort of glad I acknowledged the feelings after I didn't live at home anymore.

I always felt ackward in social situations in highschool and university, but I kept busy so that helped. I had to really think about it after my first boyfriend and managed to shove that feeling down for another 2 years. I am 23 now and coming out.

12. SA Boy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think i knew it when i was about 12, but it only properly sunk in when i was 13 nearly 14 which was when my self confidence dropped dramatically.

13. outcast2005

outcast2005 Guest

Mine's a little weird... It first occurred to me that my feeling for women were atypical when I was about ten, but I didn't really acknowledge it to myself until I was about thirteen. Prior to that, due to my devout LDS upbringing, I believed that all women secretly felt the way that I did about each other, that the reason mormons practiced polygamy back in the old days was due to that, and that someday everything would be equal for both men and women. Yeah, my religious past has left me a little warped.
    My first crush on a boy when I was fourteen led me to believe that I was not lesbian, but bisexual. So that's my life story.

14. IanGallagher

Age 7 - had my first crush on a guy, Devon Sawa in Casper.

Age 15 - developed my first major crush on an actor, Jeremy Sumpter.

Age 16 - heard about bisexuality for the first time via Alexander the Great.

Age 17 - fell for the high school quarterback.

Age 18 - entered college, realized it wasn't going away.

Age 21 - came out as bisexual to one friend.

I'm a Kinsey 1.5 - 2.5.

I kind of knew at an early age basically that I was different, but I didn't realize what it was concretely until much later in life due to being more attracted to girls. I'm still unsure if I'll even "act" on it.

#34 IanGallagher, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  15. Azza

11-12 I think, always felt a bit different though!

16. Jim94

I knew I was different when I was 11 then relase what it was when I was around 13-14 and accepted it last summer.

17. DJNay

From Joburg, SA but now live in Brisbane, Aus
    i was about 12 when i first questioned myself about being gay, because i had feelings for a girl in my class...

18. Valeyard

I first realized I liked guys when I was 11, but I kinda ignored it until I was 17 {July 14, 2011- to be exact}. Then I consciously figured out I was bi, and then started to get crushes on guys.

19. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

I was 12 when I first started to question my sexuality, by 13 I knew I wasn't straight...by 15 I knew I was a lesbian. (Have not exactly told my family yet...it is a work in progress.)

20. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I was a late bloomer.. I discovered I was attracted to girls as well as boys when I was around 17-18. I have always been "different" and more tom boyish than other girls I know, but I didn't realize I was attracted to other girls until I was around 17-18. I never once was attracted to girls before that, I always thought girls were pretty, but not in a sexual way, I guess something just happened that made me realize I like girls "in that way".