1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I wish I didn’t feel anything sexually

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Danielle1, Oct 1, 2023.

1. Danielle1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I have a problem with my sexuality. In my head, I have a little interest in anything sexually and have disgust at myself when I do. However my body is different. I get aroused when I don’t want to. It annoys me whenever it happens and I wish I just didn’t feel anything sexually. I would definitely take permeant solutions to this if I could (such as castration) or taking medication which makes me aroused less. The problem with these solutions are that they are difficult to access but hopefully I can get them one day. It makes me sad anytime I am aroused but there is no way to stop it. People say it’s natural but I wish it wasn’t.

I’m asking anyone for advice if there is ways to not get aroused without using the before mentioned things? Unless there are ways to overcome my hatred of my sexuality but I doubt it.

2. Keller

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not sure there are viable ways to avoid the arousal you're mentioning. But, how do you think, could the problem be in something else than the arousal or sexualty as such?

Otherwise, from what I've read and heard, HRT can pretty lower libido considerably and could very well prove a better alternative to other possible permanent solutions, such as one you mentioned.

3. Danielle1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Family only

I just hate being aroused. I feel a lot of shame whenever I do. I don’t think it can be caused by any other problem such as trauma or sexual dysfunction.

4. Aelin56

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you feel shame whenever you get aroused, I think you should talk about it with a therapist. There might be some underlying issue. Perhaps you were raised in a religion that condemns sexuality?

Purple Yoda likes this.
  5. Danielle1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Family only
    No I’ve never been religious. My family raised me as an atheist my whole life

I am seeing a therapist but waiting times are very long unfortunately ):

6. Keller

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I meant, if you think this could be related to not having the right bits down there, sory for my awkard way of putting it. Otherwise, what you describe seems to be similar to sexual aversion syndrome - but then again, I'm not a therapist, this is just a laywoman's guess. If it so, however, your therapist just might be able to help with it.

7. Danielle1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Family only
    It definitely could be because of my hatred with my body and genitals. I’m just not sure it is. I don’t know much about sexual aversion syndrome but I wouldn’t describe it as a fear of being aroused, more so a hatred of arousal.

8. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hi Danielle, the easiest way to stop yourself getting aroused (I think I, er, know what you mean...) is to do stuff. Get out of your bedroom, get out of the house, be active. Hang out with people. Engage with them. Do a run. Tire yourself out.

And if that doesn't work, cut yourself some slack - you're a teenager. Of course you're going to think about sex! That's what teenagers do.

Beth x

9. Danielle1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I do exercise but I wish I could hang out with people. I’m very lonely in my life so I don’t think talking to others is a solution. To put it into perspective, if you take away school and my family I haven’t engaged with any of my friends in 4~ years. I have no social media contact with them. Also doing stuff doesn’t make the arousal go away.

I just think I shouldn’t and it’s wrong. Doesn’t help I get little pleasure from climax. Imagining a world where I’m not aroused just feels like a much better world. I don’t know why I feel this way, I can’t think of many possible causes.

10. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'd suggest that you feel this way because you don't have anything else to occupy your time.

Danielle, when I was 15 I felt very similar to you. I hardly had any friends, I was cripplingly shy. I didn't do very much - I stayed in my room most of the day. And I was deeply unhappy.

It was around that time that I realised that life doesn't come to you. You have to go out and look for it. Nobody is going to hand it to you on a plate. From that point on I decided to be more outgoing and treat friendships as I would a plant. I fed them, tended to them. For I knew deep down inside that I wasn't destined for a 'normal' 'straight' life and that I would need a support structure to fall back on when disappointment and heartbreak and distress came my way (which of course they did, eventually, as they do to everyone).

Why am I writing this? It's because I can see a lot of my younger self in the stuff you have written and I feel it's really important that you sort yourself out while you are the age you are. Otherwise you are going to drift into your 20s and beyond living a demi-life, scared of putting yourself out there even slightly for fear of rejection.

Ahem..you've been talking to others on EC for over a week! What is so different about doing it in real life? You've been brave enough to register here and tell your story. So you can do it! I would implore you to take the advice that others have given and contact a local LGBTQ centre. They are staffed by people like us - gay and lesbian and trans people who really won't laugh or joke or sneer at you, because they know exactly how you feel. They know all about the fear of rejection that resides inside your heart because they've been there.

Be brave. No more 'I can'ts'. You can. Really.

Hugs, Beth

Aelin56 likes this.
  11. Danielle1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I don’t have any friends and don’t really know how to make them. I think you overestimate my social skills and ability. I can’t get over fear of rejection. It controls me too much to save me. It’s only made worse by the fact I’m unpleasant to be around, I think others would prefer if I wasn’t in their life so they don’t have to deal with me. I’m doing them a favour by doing it.

You say to go out and make friends but it’s not that simple. I wish it was. How do you climb out of a pit without others to help you up?

Again calling an lgbt centre feels impossible. It relates back to the stuff I said before so I won’t say it again.

Not to mention I’m even more hopeless with love. I don’t even care if I die a virgin (I would prefer it actually, as a sign I never gave into my sexuality). I’m not an appealing person to date. I’ve accepted that I’ll die alone but hopefully I am happy before I do die.

A lot of this is quite depressing to say and read but it’s the truth. I appreciate your encouragement though <3

12. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, I’m sorry you are feeling so low. I don’t think @chicodeoro was meaning to make it sound like it would be easy.

Do you live with your parents? Have you always felt this isolated or is it something which has become worse?

13. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is going to seem very blunt and curt though that isn't my intention- I apologize in advance. I understand that fear, feeling like you're stuck in a hole, and like you'll die alone- and you think it's true. However, that is the pain talking- not the truth. People change over time sometimes with great effort. Right now it seems you're scared and overwhelmed, which is totally normal, in my teens I was terrified of pretty much everyone (incuding myself). What I've learned is the more you force yourself to talk to people the more natural it becomes. You can talk to me on my wall if you like, a good chunk of my story is already on the forum but the parts about being shy aren't as much.

As for your main problem, finding something that can easily fully take your attention works best. Stuff like a scary movie, a good video game, building a model of something, writing (in a journal, or perhaps a poem or song), spending time with a pet, playing an instrument, etc. The point is to direct your focus away from anything that would arouse you. I'm sure this feeling is related to being trans or being raised a certain way (for me it was both- still affects me at times), but you're around eighteen right? Totally normal for your libido to be kind of on the rise- levels out in your twenties on average. However, if you go on E it will likely drop quite a bit. I'm not quite sure the science behind it but T has a different effect. I understand the frustration though, I truly do.

chicodeoro likes this.
  14. Danielle1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I know chicodeoro means no ill intent. She’s trying to help me best she can by giving me advice. It’s just I struggle to apply that advice.

I do live with my parents. I talk to my family frequently.

I’ve been this lonely for 4 years now. It’s not something that’s gotten worse, I’ve been like this for a while and it’s hurting my mental health a lot I think. I just started university and I’m struggling to talk to other people, never mind make friends. So I guess it is getting worse, as at least before I could talk to friends at my school.

15. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can totally sympathise with this. I was super shy when I was younger and whilst I am lots better now I am not the best at making conversation with people I don’t know.
    Does your university have an lgbt group? If so perhaps that is a good place to start. Before you get terrified I’m not suggesting that you just turn up to one of their socials but perhaps they have an email address.I don’t know about you but I find it much easier to communicate via text (even though it also has draw backs). I mean that is probably why I ended up on a forum. I’m thinking more if you could send an email that would perhaps be a start.
    When you attend lectures at uni do you speak to anyone or not?

16. Danielle1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I’ll think about joining an lgbt group. I’m not sure I can do it now though. Maybe if I ever come out I’ll do it. But I am to scared to do it.

I don’t speak unless spoken to. I’ll stay silent for hours if no one asks me anything. I prefer not to speak as I fear I’ll embarrass myself.

17. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry I didn’t realise you weren’t out. When you were at school what kind of hobbies did you enjoy? Do you know anyone that goes to your university?

18. Danielle1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I don’t know anyone going to my university. I do have a few hobbies but I’m bored of them. I need to force myself to do them and don’t end up enjoying them so I haven’t been doing them for a while.

19. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well it doesn’t have to be a hobby you already do. Do you ever have to work in groups for your uni work? What about some kind of volunteering opportunity? That way you don’t have to force interaction with people and you will have a common subject to discuss.

20. Danielle1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I might have to work in groups one day. I don’t think I can volunteer though, I’m too nervous around others to do that. I would prefer not to.

I do have one passion I haven’t really experimented a lot with. I love makeup and beauty but I can’t do them in my house unless I’m by myself. I would love to do it more but I can’t unfortunately.